It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surviving Tenders
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:59 am 

To answer two of the questions above:

1. The 261's aux tender was acquired from NS after they shut the steam program down. I think it was ex-ACL - can anyone confirm?

2. The 1225's aux tender came from (I think) a IC 2600-class engine. Could that be one of the tenders mentioned above?

Chris.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:52 am 

I believe the 261 tender is one of the aforementioned ex-L&N "Big Emma" 2-8-4 tenders. Southern and NS had several of these, including one that was given to the Indiana Transportation Museum for NKP 587.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 pm 

In recent years there was one of those ex-L&N diesel fuel tankers made from a 2-8-4 tender stored with privately owned B&LE 2-10-4 643 in McKees Rocks, PA. I recall reading that they were at some point banned from carrying diesel fuel as they could not be kept leak-free. That notwithstanding, L&N did a very neat job of conversion, you had to look hard to figure out how it was done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:49 pm 

Hello everyone. I hope you are all well. I found pics of two more on the web.

Steam gone from the Pennsy about 10 years at this point, I can see a coast-to-coast tender making an easy fit for MOW service with its huge tank:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images ... 999401.jpg

This one blows my mind - talk about a time capsule! From the Conrail Cyclopedia site, photographed about 1984:
http://crcyc.railfan.net/mow/wreck/cr45305.jpg

God bless. Seth

I have come not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. -- Luke 5:32

I tell you the truth, whoever hears My word and believes Him who sent Me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. -- John 5:24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:28 pm 

What about the western states?
Any ex- Santa Fe, SP, UP, WP, Milwaukee, NP GN, etc . . . ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:05 pm 

The Soo Line had a few kicking around into the 1970's/early 80's. At least one of them made it to the Minnesota Transportation Museum (which also has an ex-Great Northern tender in kit form). I think another one of the ex-Soo Line tenders is currently behind 4960 at the Grand Canyon Railway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:00 pm 

Has mention been made of the tenders stored along with the Lost Engines of Roanoke?

http://lostengines.railfan.net/otherequip.shtml

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:31 pm 

survivingworldsteam wrote:
Has mention been made of the tenders stored along with the Lost Engines of Roanoke?

http://lostengines.railfan.net/otherequip.shtml

See my post on page 2 of this topic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:42 pm 

The September 2009 issue of Railfan & Railroad has a short article about the Western Mining & Railroad Museum of Helper, Utah, which also contains some information about this tender at Spring Glen. It's a former Utah Railway tender from one of their UP-style 2-8-8-0s.

Jeff Terry

Attachments:
Utah tender.JPG
Utah tender.JPG [ 15.5 KiB | Viewed 12101 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:56 am 

Then there was this one that lived in Hagerstown, MD. Used in fuel oil storage.
Ed K.

Attachments:
File comment: Ed K.
Tank coast.jpg
Tank coast.jpg [ 149.97 KiB | Viewed 11987 times ]

OH WELL PRODUCTIONS / HORNS INC.

www.dieselairhorns.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:13 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
m3ohwell wrote:
Then there was this one that lived in Hagerstown, MD. Used in fuel oil storage. Ed K.

Ed,

As noted elsewhere in the thread, that's the one that ended up first at the Wilmington & Western and then later at the Western NY RHS in western NY state.

One year, the W&W calendar had a photo of ex-US Navy 0-6-0T #3 apparently switching, coupled to, or backed up against this tender, looking for all the world like it was setting off on a non-stop transcontinental run.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:55 pm 

What was really amazing was that in 1978, that coal tower still had all of its chutes and rigging, and looked ready to fuel an L-1 for the trip up to Enola. Most commonly, these things were shorn of all the steel bits and were simply old concrete monuments looming over old engine terminals.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:34 pm 

HP,

Wasn't there a small New Haven tender kicking around Rhode Island that was in jeopardy recently? It rings a bell...

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:30 pm 

Non-surviving tenders, New Haven division---

A short, former I-1 2-10-2 (USRA-looking) tender that was attached to the New Haven 230-ton wrecker for years became a Conrail/Metro-North "water car" for Harlem Div. fire patrols in 1978 or so; the coal boards were cut off. This one rusted horribly, and was scrapped by MNCR in the mid-80s at East Bridgeport (my memory is fuzzy, could have been at Croton North).

A six-axle New Haven tender (apparently from 4-6-2 1388, which was used on theNew Haven's "official Last Run of Steam in April 1952) was used for years as a diesel fuel tank at New Bedford, MA. The area became a redevelopment site, and was badly contaminated by fuel spills, etc. This tender also had no coal collar, and was also many feet distant from active track. It was cut up about 4-5 years ago when the property was cleared (by MBTA?).

A small clear vision switcher tender from a CV 0-8-0 kicked around Brattleboro and New London in the early 70s, and was purchased by Valley RR for use behind #97. 97's old tender, the original Cooke-built one, still exists, shoved partly off the end of track in the "South Yard" at Essex.

Howard P.

Tender Behind, CT
(well, someone had to use it...)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:16 pm 

p51 wrote:
I just read a 1976 article from Trains about the original auto train that showed what was ID'd to be an old GN 4-8-4 tender being used for a steam boiler car. I wonder whatever happened to that.
I found a photo of one of these steam boilers: http://www.themetrains.com/html/auto_co ... erator.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next