It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surviving Tenders
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:53 am 

I seem to recall being shocked about a year or two ago at a photo in one of the rail magazines wherein the caption said an extant tender was from a NYC Hudson.

Am I recalling correctly?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:25 am 

stlousteve wrote:
I seem to recall being shocked about a year or two ago at a photo in one of the rail magazines wherein the caption said an extant tender was from a NYC Hudson.

Am I recalling correctly?

My guess is that you are referring to the story I've been told about the current tender used on Western Maryland Scenic Railroad #734. Reportedly, the former Hudson tender spent years sitting in storage under the Cleveland Terminal Tower. I'm not sure how true the story is, why or how it was saved (possibly for MofW use), or who owned it before it went to the WMSR?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:34 am 

I belive that the tender on "WM" 734, while of NYC origin is from a Mohawk 4-8-2 and not a Hudson.

The surviving Hudson Tender is at Steamtown. The NYC sold a small number (2?) of Hudsons to the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo. After service and retirement on the TH&B, a tender was converted into a steam generator car.

I believe Mr. J. David Conrad eventually ened up with this tender, and donated it to Steamtown.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:37 am 

derail wrote:
Ron Goldfeder wrote:
The second is on the museum's deaccession list so if anyone needs it speak up now before it is scrapped. It has been on offer to a new home for over a year.

Do you have more information regarding this tender?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:04 pm 

Isn't there a steam locomotive somewhere that is missing a tender and could use this neat one from the Great Northern? Do all of those N&W M2 class "Lost Engines of Roanoke" have tenders yet? Maybe not quite authentic, but wouldn't this tender look neat behind one of those big Twelve-Wheelers? Maybe there's another steamer out there missing a tender, or one that is just plain worn out. This one looks in good shape. Sure would hate to see it end up as scrap. BTW, anyone know what GN engine it's off of?

Les

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:30 pm 

The Great Northern tender came marked #2100 and the only other info I have on it is that it was built by Baldwin in 1923 with a capacity of 15,000 gallons. The only thing it needs is a paint job and replacement of rotted wood over the oil tank.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:40 pm 

RDG 179 wrote:
What about the western states?
Any ex- Santa Fe, SP, UP, WP, Milwaukee, NP GN, etc . . . ?

I scanned quickly through this thread and didn't see it mentioned but the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola, CA has a GS6 tender. I don't know which GS6 it originally came from. It was last used in MOW service on the WP as a water tender and numbered WPMW 27-2. Photo was taken August 2008.

Attachments:
wp_27-2_GS6_tender_DSC_1542.jpg
wp_27-2_GS6_tender_DSC_1542.jpg [ 165.22 KiB | Viewed 11746 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:14 pm 

The Pacific Locomotive Association has two former Rayonier tenders (one is currently off property) on the Niles Canyon Railway in Sunol, CA. One of these tenders will be used when our Sierra Railway #30 is restored to operation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:38 pm 

Would somebody please tell the guy that moved N&W #917 from Roanoke Va. to Bellville,Ohio along I-71 to buy one of these surviving surplus tenders somewhere to put behind #917 so she will have a real genuine tender!!!!!

In all honesty it's great that he saved one of the loco's and paid to have it moved all the way to Ohio to his RR theme restaraunt along I-71. If he can do that and buy other pcs. of RR equipment surely he could afford a real tender.The ridiculous small makeshift tender with metal sides made from a little 4 wheel RR tie cart does not look good at all! If one wants to be even more critical #917 has a schoolhouse bell painted gold mounted on her boiler top.Then the red baggage car behind the mini tender sits on regular freight car trucks.

Everytime i drive past there on I-71 i cringe when i look over at that mini fake tender behind #917.All i can say is at least #917 found a home somewhere but with a few added corrections she would look sooooo much better!

See attached link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teabowimaging/3146796766/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:31 pm 

Fritz -

You're right! A better tender is definitely called for! And while he's at it, how about a headlight for the platform on the smokebox? A fake one should be easy enough to fabricate, and not cost much either. Heck, even an old tin tomato car (or something similar) painted black with a piece of plastic over the opening would suffice.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:56 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Isn't there a steam locomotive somewhere that is missing a tender and could use this neat one from the Great Northern? Do all of those N&W M2 class "Lost Engines of Roanoke" have tenders yet? Maybe not quite authentic, but wouldn't this tender look neat behind one of those big Twelve-Wheelers?

Les

Les, You are correct in that we do not have a tender yet for 1118. The M2's carried 5 different tender styles over the years. They were originally built with an N&W designed 9000 gallon tender like what was behind 917 in it's later years. They later received (mid-1920's) USRA 10,000 gallon & 12,000 gallon tenders, as well as some N&W design 6-axle 12,000 gallon tenders. During and after WWII, some received N&W design 15,000 gallon tenders. To the best of our knowledge, 1118 had a USRA 10,000 until it was retired. We have made some inquiries (with no results yet) into a couple of surviving N&W "15's". If anyone knows of a surviving surplus USRA "10" or "12", let me know. We would definitely be interested, and have the funds available to move one. As for 917, don't even get me started......:)

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:48 pm 

Gary Gray wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
Isn't there a steam locomotive somewhere that is missing a tender and could use this neat one from the Great Northern? Do all of those N&W M2 class "Lost Engines of Roanoke" have tenders yet? Maybe not quite authentic, but wouldn't this tender look neat behind one of those big Twelve-Wheelers?

Les

Les, You are correct in that we do not have a tender yet for 1118. The M2's carried 5 different tender styles over the years. They were originally built with an N&W designed 9000 gallon tender like what was behind 917 in it's later years. They later received (mid-1920's) USRA 10,000 gallon & 12,000 gallon tenders, as well as some N&W design 6-axle 12,000 gallon tenders. During and after WWII, some received N&W design 15,000 gallon tenders. To the best of our knowledge, 1118 had a USRA 10,000 until it was retired. We have made some inquiries (with no results yet) into a couple of surviving N&W "15's". If anyone knows of a surviving surplus USRA "10" or "12", let me know. We would definitely be interested, and have the funds available to move one. As for 917, don't even get me started......:)

Gary

Gary -

You missed the point! You have an engine (1118) with no tender. MOT has a beautiful tender that they are (presumably) willing to GIVE AWAY! Isn't this a no-brainer? Yes, I admire your efforts to put an authentic tender behind your Twelve-Wheeler, but maybe it's time to think outside the box! At least get someone to do a drawing or computer generated print, of what the 1118 would look like with the GN tender. Try it! You might like it! And if you ever DO find an authentic tender, you could always then make the 1118 into a third "authentic tendered" M2.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 pm 

Les, I'm sorry, but this is a "no-brainer". Both us and VMT have been focusing our collections regionally or locally over the past few years. We currently own 17 pieces of equipment. All but one (a Great Northern passenger car, and it is for sale) originally operated within a 100 mile radius of Roanoke. Even if any of us were interested, do you think our Board would approve spending the 15 to 20 grand necessary to move a non-authentic tender here? The chances are "slim and none". If we can find something that can be modified into a close replica of an N&W tender, that's a different story. By the way, 1151 is the only M2 with an authentic tender. The one behind 1134 in Portsmouth is an N&W 16,000 gallon tender. None of those were ever used behind M2's.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:37 pm 

Saw this un attended tender in the weeds in French Lick, Indiana last week... Anyone know what road it came from.. ?

Dean

Attachments:
FLTENDER1.jpg
FLTENDER1.jpg [ 49.64 KiB | Viewed 13427 times ]
FLTENDER2.jpg
FLTENDER2.jpg [ 51.39 KiB | Viewed 13427 times ]

Post subject: Re: Surviving Tenders - SPENO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:06 pm 

I have seen several photos showing a SPENO Ballast Cleaning Train, with an ex-Reading tender from a K-1 2-10-2 in the consist, presumably for 19,000 gallons of water.
Does anyone know what ever became of that tender ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next