It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CNJ/DL&W #99 recent image
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:07 pm 

Any information on the current ownership and restoration status of the #97, located in Minerva Ohio?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:11 pm 

Are we looking for information on DL&W #97 or CNJ # 97??
Bob Havens

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:55 pm 

DL&W #97 formerly Scranton.
Refer to http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/ ... auket.html for history & photos.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:43 pm 

That's a terrible shame. I guess it's uncertain if regular service or just constant repairs, will keep a private car in good shape. Seeing the "Setauket", now "Minerva", looking so disheveled is painful for those of us who watched her fly through Mineola on Friday nights, on the Long Island's "Cannonball".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:27 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
Richard Glueck wrote:
Seeing the "Setauket", now "Minerva", looking so disheveled is painful for those of us who watched her fly through Mineola on Friday nights, on the Long Island's "Cannonball".

Dick, I notice that several of the photos at the Dominion Rail Voyages link posted by Kevin Moore are credited to you. Thank you for being there with your camera to record that all-too-brief era for posterity. I wish I had been alive then to see it myself.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:24 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
Dave Crosby wrote:
Not sure if this is the car being hinted at a few posts up, but EL #2 is alive and well in PA and sees occasional use.
Joshua K. Blay wrote:
Don't forget the Federal, another ex DL&W business car, that was at the AAPRCO convention
robertjohndavis wrote:
It seems we are left with:
#97 in Minerva, OH
#98 known as EL#2 in Northumberland.
#99 waiting for help in Derby, ME
The two Pheoe Snow bob tails exist.
"Federal" roams the rails but what was its number on the DL&W?
Joshua K. Blay wrote:
Per a recent post related to the APRRCO Convention, looks like have a little of a conflict, perhaps there was a second 98?

"#800713 DL&W business car #98 "Federal" owned by Dave Luca. One of two business cars constructed in 1911 by Pullman in Lot #3812 to Plan #2492, the other being the "National". The "Federal" was sold to DL&W in 1933, and the "National" was scrapped in 1953. The "National" was sold to Ringling Bros. at an unknown date and was later resold to Dave Luca. The car met Amtrak specifications in 2002."
K.R. Bell wrote:
But first some historical background on the DL&W's business cars: When Perry Shoemaker was the DL&W General Superintendent, he used car 97 (originally named "Scranton") and as V.P. he used the "Anthracite." As President he used car 99, formerly the "Pocono." In 1940 DL&W President William White did away with names and numbering of the business car fleet. Car 97 was originally from the Nevada Northern Ry. Car 98 was the Vice President's car ("Anthracite") and later used by both the V.P.-Traffic and V.P.-Operations.

I had the former Pullman pool business car Federal as going to DL&W as the Pocono, then changed to #98, to EL, to Ringling Brothers, to Dave Luca as #800713 Federal. But, according to the above quoted info, DL&W Anthracite/#98/EL #2 is in Northumberland, PA. So, as Joshua asked, were there 2 cars which were numbered as #98? A first #98, the ex-Pocono, nee-Pullman Federal (which was sold to Ringling Brothers), and a second #98, the ex-Anthracite (which later became EL #2)? And if the Federal was indeed sold to the DL&W as the Pocono, then it conflicts with the #99 being the ex-Pocono. To add even more confusion, according to Jerry LaBoda's website, the Nevada Northern #100, which later became #97, was initially sold to the DL&W as the Anthracite, and was later renamed to Scranton. So that's 2 #98's, 2 Anthracites, and 2 Poconos. I take this to mean that the Lackawanna rearranged the names at a yet unknown date? Can anyone clear up this confusion? Thanks in advance!

Additions and corrections are welcome. Thanks in advance.

The car that is currently the Federal was Pocono, DL&W #98. After the merger it became EL #98 until it was sold into private service...after that all I know is Dave Luca bought it, restored it and it now carries the name Federal again.

EL#2 which is currently in Northumberland, PA started as a CNJ car (number unknown) became Erie 2, swapped numbers with Erie 1 for about 10 years in the 40's, went back to Erie 2, then after the merger became EL 2 until it was sold to private ownership. The thought that this car was DL&W Anthracite or that it ever carried the #98 is false.

The next section is an except from a letter from William Sanders which was posted on rr-fallen flags and gives the best history I have seen of the car post EL:

"In 1975 the car, still as EL #2 was sold to Finley's Funtime tours in North Hollywood, CA. The car was then used for the next thirteen years as a way to transport tourists in style throughout California and Mexico. In 1988 a Richard C. Sanders, my father, purchased the car from Mr. Finley and brought it back to the east coast. The car was kept near the PRR 30th Str. Station until it was sent to Jacksonville, FL for a general overall. In Jacksonville the car was made compliant to Amtrak standards. As a side note, the horsehair insulation was also taken out at this time.

After a test run from Jacksonville to Tampa, the car was then moved back to its roost in Philadelphia. Since that time, the car has travelled very little. It made a single trip to Pittsburgh before my father died in 1992. A year and a half ago I had the car moved to a "safer" location. I hope you'll excuse me for not listing it, but I have enough problems as is. Now, I've forgotten to tell you some things. First, Finley had the car renamed. I don't remember what the name was exactly, but I do know that it was after his wife. When my father got a hold of it, he had it renamed again. Thus, the car is now called the "Phoebe Snow," a name that I have grown fond of.

In the short time my father was alive to enjoy the car he had it repainted to the Erie Lackawanna colors, and had a barrel lamp made for the back of the observation deck."

I hope this helps.

Chris Costello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:55 am 

Thanks, Chris, for the info!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:24 am 

The car has since been sold and will be moving to its new home in short order.

SixAxleAlco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:47 am 

old post but little update

I was in Roanoke, VA on Dec 23rd and was just browsing along the railway, and saw the car sitting there. its been renumbered NS 35. I looked at NS Rooster list from altoonawork info site and its under Research Equipment: NS 35 DLW Acquired late 2016 and not yet in service; former Lackawanna No. 99 'Belford' blt 1926

and picture of it i took from phone
https://imgur.com/NvcvnU7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:34 am 

"Belford" is going to be completely rebuilt s a track geometry car, but requires some serious remediation and gutting first. I'm certain NS has other issues ahead of this rebuild. FWIW, it would appear "Belford" has a future, just when it's scheduled is difficult to determine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:28 pm 

Since NS has the one car from Derby, ME, who owns the Minerva car? I thought the Minerva group disbanded a decade ago.