It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Major Announcement from Altoona Today - BREAKING NEWS
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:42 pm 

You can all skewer and deep fry me later, but I just stumbled on a live feed from Altoona in the RRM roundhouse. It is not, I repeat NOT, April 1. I thing we would all love to hear some good news regarding the 1361 and I believe Bennett delivered just that to a small audience just now in Altoona.

Bennett Levin has just announced that after meeting with Wick Moorman and the FRA, they are setting about to establish a totally privately funded effort to return 1361 to service. The audio quality is very poor, but I believe he said they are going to pursue building a brand new boiler, working with an established boiler manufacturer. He mentioned Foster-Wheeler and even Meiningen (sp?). They are even looking at drawings that Timken had done for PRR back in the 40's to cover the K4s to roller bearings.

Henry Posner has purchased and has moved the former CVL, nee-ASTRA P70 coaches to the Iowa Interstate to be the basis for the proposed trainset. They will be converting a few B60 baggage cars to serve as educational cars to run an educationally focused train around the state of PA over the rails of the state's many shortlines.

I'm sure I've missed a few things but these are the highlights.

Bennett's own words were "This will be my last hurrah."

Let's see what comes next. Bennett himself said this is all still very preliminary but they felt it was time to make public that this plan is being put together and they will be moving forward with this now.

Thanks,

Rob Gardner

Post subject: Re: Major Announcement from Altoona Today - BREAKING NEWS
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:51 pm 

Only one word--

WOW!!

Of course, this is still preliminary, and we shouldn't get too exuberant, but this may well be the best chance we have. . .and we have some credible people in the game.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:09 pm 

Wow. Very exciting news.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:23 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Dude...........
Not only are you over a month late, but the Powers That Be here banned April Fool's parody/joke posts here a while ba--

[e-mail dings with press release]

Whole.

Lee.

[CENSORED].

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:38 pm 

[Expletive deleted] That's definitely something.

...Now for those of us not entirely informed, who's Bennett Levin again? Isn't he the guy with the Pennsy E8s?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:40 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
That's definitely something.

...Now for those of us not entirely informed, who's Bennett Levin again? Isn't he the guy with the Pennsy E8s?

Indeed he is.

We steam fans may take the opinion that he is trading up in motive power choices. . .(smiles as he thinks that).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:57 pm 

This is indeed very interesting and exciting news! I guess the new boiler makes more sense from an economic/safety standpoint than continuing to modify and repair the existing boiler. I notice the press release says that the old boiler may be kept for interpretive purposes. My question is, would that really even be worthwhile, considering that so much has already been either changed or replaced? From what I understood, the boiler is not even complete as it currently exists, is it?

Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:00 pm 

I took note that Mr. Levin is speaking of the engine visiting all the shortlines in Pennsylvania, but I wonder how he plans to get the trainset between the venues. Some class Is aren't too enthusiastic of steam moves or even passenger car moves on their lines, and this equipment is a bit bigger than the Gramling's tank engines.

Oh well, it will be a while before we get that far.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:03 pm 

And CSX is bringing back their steam excursion programs! No? Oh well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad. Hope I get to see 1361 running again in my lifetime. Not so great shot is from 1988 in York, PA.

Attachments:
188c0240.jpg
188c0240.jpg [ 67.11 KiB | Viewed 12262 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:08 pm 

Levin met with Moorman and the FRA, so I am assuming the FRA has given the a-ok for a welded boiler with a belpaire firebox. Moorman's involvement will probably guarantee the same deal that 765 has with NS - she can be moved over NS lines but can't carry passengers. That being the case I fully expect to see her on the 100 or so miles of the Pocono main and a stop at Steamtown. Can I hold my breath for 3713, 425/2102, and 1361 at a future Railfest??? Exciting times.

Last edited by 6-18003 on Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

The moderator of the Friends of 1361 FB peg posted these highlights from today’s noon live podcast.

“Here's a summary of Bennet Levin's presentation regarding the future of 1361:
: hi
--A committee is in the works to oversee the project and alleviate the museum of responsibility for the locomotive's restoration, operation, and sustainability. Bennett Levin and Wick Moorman are primary drivers for this.

--The engine will receive an all-new welded boiler. The boiler will be cosmetically compatible with the current boiler (cosmetic rivets etc). The boiler will be built without a dime of taxpayer money; all funding will be private. The current boiler may be retained as an interpretive piece.

--The driving axles will be converted to roller bearings. Timken did all the engineering for the PRR when K4s 20 and 5371 were converted to roller bearings. The conversion was done in a way that did not require alterations to the frame. Eric Levin has acquired copies of the original Timken drawings made for the PRR for this purpose.

--The 6 P70RF coaches last used by the Austin Steam Train will be available for use behind 1361. The full proposed consist also includes one or more B60 baggage cars and the Horseshoe Curve Chapter NRHS-owned parlor Union League Club, which is also at the museum awaiting restoration. This creates an opportunity for a unified train of all-PRR equipment, which sets 1361 apart from most operating locomotives.

--The proposal is to use the full train not only in excursion service, but also as an educational, rolling museum akin to the American Freedom Train around the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In this scenario, the B60 baggage cars would be converted to exhibit cars showcasing the state's history and the role railroads and industry played in it.

--This will be Bennett Levin's last hurrah.

--The Philadelphia Chapter PRRH&TS pledged $2,000 to the effort”

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:27 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Dude...........
Not only are you over a month late, but the Powers That Be here banned April Fool's parody/joke posts here a while ba--

[e-mail dings with press release]

Whole.

Lee.

[SMOKES].

After all, we are discussing a steam locomotive.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:37 pm 

Union League Club seems to be a blunt end solarium car with a diaphragm so it can also be used mid train. It's not like Pennsylvania 120.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:41 pm 

Calmer heads, thoughtful, intelligent men, connections to established resource industries. Sounds like that plan we've thought about has come through.
To have a K4s available, yet left in parts, has been as sad as losing all the NYC Hudsons. If I can't have a G5s, I'll gladly accept #1361.

Shouldn't one of our resident NNN's jump in here?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:50 pm 

When one thinks back over all of the deleted discussions that have swirled around 1361, an all new welded boiler is really the only way to go. Sure, one could try and patch together a proper crown sheet with properly spaces stays, but exactly how much welding, grinding and patching is it wise to do on an already ages boiler, designed and built by a railroad that did not apparently robustly overbuild as much as one might have originally thought?

This will be very interesting to see unfold.

Rob Gardner