It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1936 CB&Q Budd passenger cars in Saudi Arabia....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:37 pm 

Just reposting weblink from other thread talking about the SRO American passenger cars:

SmugMug, "I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THE RAILROAD SRO"
http://flbtrain.smugmug.com/Railroads/I ... /i-kbwM7xv

Images 13-15 are the most interesting, but again these picture shots were taken in the mid-1980s. A lot can happen in between that time. Of course IF were going to bring equipment back to the U.S. I would go for the N&W Observation & CB&Q "Gods" Articulated Zephyr set. The CBQ "Gods" should go well with CBQ 9908 "Silver Charger" @ Museum Of Transport in St Louis, MO.

Post subject: Re: 1936 CB&Q Budd passenger cars in Saudi Arabia....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:40 pm 

I do not believe any California Zephyr equipment went to Saudi Arabia. The "Zephyr" cars you may have heard about were the (one whole set, one half set) pre-war partially articulated "Denver Zephyr" (Later the Texas Zephyr) equipment and one pre-war articulated "Twin Zephyr" (Later the Nebraska Zephyr") described earlier in this thread.

Amtrak purchased the CB&Q CZ equipment. Almost all of the D&RGW and WP sleepers went to Mexico with one exception. WP dome coaches went to Auto Train, a dome lounge to a private owner and 2 cars to Jolly Rancher candies, later a museum. The DRGW domes and diner were used on the RGZ with the baggage car going to another owner in N. America.

Another WP dome obs and diner went to Mexico after sale from L.A. County. Nothing much left for the Saudis, even if they were interested.