It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: N&W J wreck?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 pm 

p51 wrote:
whodom wrote:
It seems that most roads kept steam-powered derricks in service well into the 60's.
Even later than that. I clearly recall seeing a steam crane in operation (yes, I knew the difference, even then, especially as my parents were taking about and both would certainly have known the difference) at a derailment on the SCL in Florida when I was a kid, that would have probably been about 1976 to 78 based on how old I would have been at the time.

Interesting. Even as a little kid (I was 4 or 5 years old at the time) I realized the difference. My dad was a heavy equipment operator so I thought cranes all sounded like his- loud diesel exhaust. The two derricks were virtually silent which was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:33 pm 

I will have to remind myself to take a photo of that crane the next time I visit the VMT

Lois
Friends of the 611

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 pm 

As to the book I was writing about the wreck, it is now on hold, due to my being involved with other projects, including doing my part for the Fire Up 611 campaign. With the information revealed early on in this thread, I had second thoughts about continuing work on it. What would be your opinion regarding this?
lois

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:07 pm 

as much as the diesel took over steam, the steam crane langushed on the railroads for a while.

the 611 wreck is probably one of the main reasons its been preserved, after the wreck it was worked over and was in great shape for donation unlike the other 600's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:13 pm 

I have photos of a Conrail steam crane replacing bridge steel at Millersburg, Pa. taken in the 1980's, though I don't remember the exact year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:37 pm 

I have finally decided to wait until I am finished with my work for the Fire Up 611 project before continuing my work on this project. Since I have also planned a separate "biography" for the 611, I will have to see what comes out of the Fire Up 611 campaign before I proceed any further with my book projects. Though, I have been told this story would make a good movie, though I know the wreck in its very nature is much more than some railfans can take.
lois

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:37 pm 

Forget about railfans, we don't work for them - is the book going to have broader appeal? If not, it will be a labor of love and a good bit of history to compile and preserve as a story for your own pleasure in doing so.

dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:01 pm 

It will however be an interesting segment of the history of the locomotive. A film however will draw the non-railroad interest group, as horror and drama in films does attract people. But a book would need more intense marketing, perhaps using similar points to get people's attention.
lois