It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lost Shop legend rebuffed
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:06 pm 

JimBoylan wrote:
P-51, shouldn't your legend be called Quincy & Torch Lake RR? They stopped running about 1945.
I will say it's not that one, but will not be answering any further questions as I just don't want to get another "ghost equipment" story going again. What annoyed me was I had maps, photos showing nothing was there anymore, but the locals wouldn't have it. Everyone seemed to know someone who knew someone who'd seen all the track in place (and in great condition, in contrast with any laws of nature) recently. Naturally, i never encountered anyone who'd said they'd seen it themsevles. How they couldn't see the classic signs of the urband legend was beyond me.
To me, it proved the power of stories of this type.
It's not RR-related, but there was a long-standing story where I grew up of a WW2 fighter plane hanging upside down in the cypress trees, about 20 feet off the ground, with a skeletal pilot still in the cockpit. The funny part was nobody had photos or could ever tell you even the general area it was in. At the age of about 8 when I heard it the first time, I thought that seemed awfully odd. Years later, I researched the history of all the P-40s lost out of the local airfield in WW2 and accounted for them all. I was hardly surprised to find there really couldn't have been one still in the trees into the 1970s, and one was never recovered from such an area like that (a few wrecks were pulled from lakes and other spots, though). It sure isn't there now, especially now that even a wrecked fighter plane is worth a fortune. But good luck trying to get others to see that logic, I'm sure the story still gets told in the area...

Post subject: Re: History Center in Diboll, TX; "Blue Hole" legend rebuff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:30 pm 

I had to register just to tell this one................

while I was working for a trucking co. a number of years ago, the night dispatcher was an avid hunter who spent alot of time in the Adirondacks. One night we got to talking about hunt camp and I asked her, "Ever run across any old train stuff in the woods ??" Well yes she had....... "What was it ??" I asked, "Oh, old trains and cars and locomotives and such she replied"........ Any pictures I asked ?? "Sure she said".... took a couple of month's to get them from her, and she wasn't lying........ Well Kinda.......

Fast forward a couple of years, I'm in the general area of where this stuff is supposed to be (+/- 20 miles), Find the local historian home, get to talking with her, she has more pictures..... Only problem is , she doesn't have a clue about what is there. She sends me to the next town over to talk to a old man who was a logger, woodsman, you name it. 10:30 in the morning hes allready halfway thru a sixpack of "Utica Club"...... I pull up and park on the side of the road with truck and trailer, he meets me at the door with a beer in his hand and a look that would kill.. (gun was leaning against wall inside). As we got to talking about what was in the woods, I asked him about the thing that I had seen in 3 or 4 differant pictures....... "Was that a ""BarnHardt Log loader"" ??" I asked, "How do you know about them " He looked at me with a Really strange look on his face...., "well I kinda like stuff like that" I said.......

It was all there but the winch, All the metal parts that is. The 30 " boiler with the water tanks on each side, the Nose piece that went on the wooden boom, the multi flanged wheels, all the iron pieces right where they had rotted off the wood... as a Barnhardt was all wood. Even the rail that had been on what was left of 3 or 4 flat cars was there........ Where was the Winch I asked ?? He took another drink, looked at me with a funny grin and said...... That went on so and so's wrecker 25 years ago

Its all still there, as far as I know, 7 or 8 miles of rail, 3 or 4 sets of flat car hardware, and whats left of the 2nd or 3rd remaining Barnhardt in the country........... Only One huge problem......... It sits in the middle of 3.5 million acres of "Forever Wild" called the Adirondack Preserve . Nature will reclaim it before the state of NY will let anyone do it.......

Farmer..