It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RR Museum of Pa. to Restore "Lindbergh" 4-4-2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:49 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
No, not to operation.

At least, not that I can see.............

Cribbed and edited from Trains Newswire at Trains.com:

Quote:
The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is raising money to restore its Pennsylvania Railroad E6 Atlantic in a special matching funds campaign with the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society. The society has agreed to match up to $50,000, funds raised for No. 460, known as the Lindbergh Engine, now through March 15, 2010.

Although the non-profit Friends of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania organization has already raised nearly $50,000, the restoration is estimated to cost around $310,000.

Built in 1914 at the Pennsylvania Railroad's Juniata, Pa., Shops, No. 460 is also the sole survivor of the fleet of 83 4-4-2s in its class. The engine powered distinguished trains such as the Broadway Limited, and spent most of World War II working on the Pennsylvania Railroad's Atlantic Division before retirement in 1955.

Restoration will include lead paint removal, repair of rust damage to the cab and tender, and installation of piping, jacketing and running gear.

Work starts in November and is estimated to take 6,500 man-hours, and volunteers are needed. Donation may be made on line on the museum's Web site at http://www.rrmuseumpa.org. Contributions also may be forwarded to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania's advancement office, P.O. Box 125, Strasburg, PA 17579.

Post subject: Re: RR Museum of Pa. to Restore "Lindbergh" 4-4-2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 pm 

WOW.... $310,000!!!! Cosmetic restoration has gotten really expensive. For that kind of money she should be in steam!

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Three words: "Lead paint abatement."

Four more words: "By a government agency."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:43 pm 

Yes, but at least something is being done with this precious locomotive. Sad she won't be fired, but fixing her up properly and putting her under cover will meet my needs for the present. Excellent news for steam lovers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:44 pm 

I had considering donating to this cause until I read the cost estimates of the restoration. The #460 is one of my favorite locomotives. Instead, I just made another donation to the WW&F Railway where the donations seem to go much farther and I can see real progress!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:36 pm 

Ron Muldowney wrote:
I had considering donating to this cause until I read the cost estimates of the restoration. The #460 is one of my favorite locomotives. Instead, I just made another donation to the WW&F Railway where the donations seem to go much farther and I can see real progress!!

Economies of scale, mate.

I wonder how far $310K would go in model railroading.................

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:46 pm 

Rod, you made the right decision.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:57 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Three words: "Lead paint abatement."

Four more words: "By a government agency."

and removing the asbestoes.....but at least the Museum is doing something with one of the locomotives.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:01 am 

Now I wonder just for comparison; how much did the work done on Steamtown's Big Boy cost compared to the $310,000 for a much smaller locomotive.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:11 am 

Caution Mr. Gears. Remember the old adage....never ask a question you don't want to hear the answer to!!!

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:34 am 

Here's the rub.

#460 is the only PRR E-6 left.

It needs significant work to get back to a pristine appearance, and hopefully earn a seat inside (though what moves outside to make room will be an interesting decision).

$300K may seem bloated, but that is the price the current owners have put on it.

So, it seems it either gets a $300K overhaul or it gets nothing,

Which is better?

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:48 pm 

robertjohndavis wrote:
"(though what moves outside to make room will be an interesting decision)."
Rob

How about a Conrail GP-30? This is one loco not worthy to be inside...at least for several more decades in my opinion.

I'm very pleased to hear this 4-4-2 will be getting some much needed attention. Surely, one could build a cocoon around this steam loco, remove the asbestos and sandblast away lead paint for very economical dollars. To me, a cocoon seems so unnecessary in an outdoor situation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:30 pm 

According to RRMofPa the asbestos was removed last year. At least that barrier is gone.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:51 pm 

DavidKaplan wrote:
robertjohndavis wrote:
"(though what moves outside to make room will be an interesting decision)."
Rob

How about a Conrail GP-30? This is one loco not worthy to be inside...at least for several more decades in my opinion.

Why? Conrail ) is gone, except for shared assets, but that's not exactly the original "conrail". The GP30 model isn't exactly common power right now. It also received a fresh paint job that would look horrible if it was left to sit and rust outside until it became "appropriate" to display inside. It is also the ONLY Conrail piece to be represented inside.

And besides, I bet that engine is the favorite of most visitors under the age of 12. Better than another black, cold steam engine.

I'm just curious what your beef is with the Conrail unit?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:24 pm 

zugmann wrote:
I'm just curious what your beef is with the Conrail unit?

My beef is that it was built in 1962 or so and the 4-4-2 was built about 50 years previous and therefore is much more of an artifact. Also, a steam loco is much more rare and in need of protection moreso than a Geep of any age. There are probably 100 or more GP30s still in the U.S. versus one 4-4-2 in existance.