It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: BR&W No. 60
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 am 

It is not hard to sign up on facebook and in this day and age its a must do if you plan to track any number of organizations. Its not just for kids anymore, nor is it just to track your kids or grand kids. You will be very surprised by who is on it and what a great research tool it can be.

And a special congratulations to the BR&W crew for getting the #60 up and running.

So, who's next to have an engine running in NJ? Whippany or Pine Creek?

J.R.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:20 am 

Signing up for facebook has its drawbacks. Since I signed up, I've been flooded with friend requests from people I don't know and from friends who never personally sent me a request. And I've received a lot of garbage that I find offensive. Not to mention that many people don't believe what's posted on facebook.

The group has a website at: http://flemingtontrain.org/steam.html

It may take a day or two longer, but the info is a lot easier to get at. And they've posted the info on the steam-up.

Last edited by Charlie on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:36 am 

Not to hi-jack the thread, but the FB comments are simply not true. I have had no such issues and have had an account for about a year. I set it up really so I can see pictures of my grand kids. The fact that I get news of the #60 as it happens (within minutes and on my phone) is just a pleasant surprise, thanks to Scott and his postings.

The future is FB and wiki pages, not stand alone web sites. That's a given in the web based industry.
J.R.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:41 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Charlie wrote:
Signing up for the Internet has its drawbacks. You'll be flooded with friend requests from people you don't know and from friends who never personally sent you a request. And you'll receive a lot of garbage that I find offensive. Not to mention that many people don't believe what's posted on the Internet.

Fixed that for you............

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:09 am 

JR May wrote:
Not to hi-jack the thread, but the FB comments are simply not true. I have had no such issues and have had an account for about a year. I set it up really so I can see pictures of my grand kids. The fact that I get news of the #60 as it happens (within minutes and on my phone) is just a pleasant surprise, thanks to Scott and his postings.

The future is FB and wiki pages, not stand alone web sites. That's a given in the web based industry.
J.R.

My apologies. I've editted my message above.

And congrats to the BR&W 60 team!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:49 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Charlie wrote:
Signing up for the Internet has its drawbacks. You'll be flooded with friend requests from people you don't know and from friends who never personally sent you a request. And you'll receive a lot of garbage that I find offensive. Not to mention that many people don't believe what's posted on the Internet.

Fixed that for you............

hahaha...so true.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 am 

#60 was fired up again yesterday, this time going out on the line for her longest test run yet, down to both Flemington and Three Bridges, NJ! Fortunately, I was there for the whole afternoon and managed to get video of the day.

I want to profusely thank the crews of the BR&W and BRRHT for their extremely kind hospitality, and generous access to areas along the line that normally I couldn't get to - with specific permission and under supervision, of course.

Enjoy this 12-minute video of #60 in action!

http://youtu.be/sf2QoEfAQTc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 am 

bigjim4life wrote:

Very nice, Jim. Thanks for posting! Given how long it has been since steam operated on the line, I wonder what some of the neighbors thought when they saw (and heard!) a steam engine pulling freight cars. Very cool.

I guess I need to put this RR on my list of places to visit!

/Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:31 am 

KevinM wrote:
bigjim4life wrote:

Very nice, Jim. Thanks for posting! Given how long it has been since steam operated on the line, I wonder what some of the neighbors thought when they saw (and heard!) a steam engine pulling freight cars. Very cool.

/Kevin

Your welcome Jim. Great Video.

Its hard to think its been 12 years since she last ran. Alot happens in that time period. People come and go. There was a large population in Hunterdon county that moved in that may never have known there was a Steam engine sitting so close to them..... But they know now. The looks we were getting were priceless, and of course we were showing off a little bit too. The BR&W stages Aeropress cars for the NS, a customer on the Lehigh Line in Hillsboro. Someone called us into the fire department becasue they saw smoke by tanks and were concerned. The Fire Dept showed up, and were amazed at what they found in Three Bridges.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:44 am 

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
KevinM wrote:
bigjim4life wrote:

/Kevin

Your welcome Jim. Great Video.

Its hard to think its been 12 years since she last ran. Alot happens in that time period. People come and go. There was a large population in Hunterdon county that moved in that may never have known there was a Steam engine sitting so close to them..... But they know now. The looks we were getting were priceless, and of course we were showing off a little bit too. The BR&W stages Aeropress cars for the NS, a customer on the Lehigh Line in Hillsboro. Someone called us into the fire department becasue they saw smoke by tanks and were concerned. The Fire Dept showed up, and were amazed at what they found in Three Bridges.

I had heard the fire sirens shortly after I left the Three Bridges area and wondered if that's what had happened. :)

But you're right, standing by some of the crossings, people who were business owners and residents in general were flocking out when they heard the whistle, full of joy to hear a steam engine once again on the BR&W. A proud moment indeed for the railroad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:26 pm 

The Black River Railroad Historical Trust announced today BR&W 60 will be running on November 10th and November 11th. There will be two trips each day from Ringoes,NJ to Three Bridges, NJ. The trips will be #60's first public excursions since November of 2000.

Tickets can be purchased from their web site. www.flemingtontrain.org