It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gainesville Midland 116
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:01 am 

Hi,
I am looking for anyone who has detailed information of GM 116 currently on display in Jefferson, GA. Some non-railroaders are interested in cosmetically restoring the locomotive and have asked me about its condition. Supposedly she has a cracked boiler.
I am looking for anyone who might have some recent information about the locomotive's condition.
When I last saw her, the tender was in bad shape as was the boiler jacket.
Thanks.
Doug vV

Post subject: Re: Gainesville Midland 116
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 am 

Cracked boiler? Lot of ground open for interpretation.

I had some GM information somewhere, will see what I can find.

dave

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:53 am 

When I hear "cracked boiler" I figure the information is coming from someone who really down not know much about boilers. A boiler is an assembly made of many parts that are many shapes and sizes. The majority of boiler issues happen in the firebox and while certain areas sometimes develop cracks I would speculate that thin metal is often the problem.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:33 pm 

I remember looking at this engine a few years back and I think I took photos, but cannot find them. It had a newly built shed and a fence if I recall. I believe there was an Eagle Scout project that accounted for most of the work. There had been some cleaning and a coat of black, but that was about all. A true cosmetic restoration would be nice and it would be protected under the shed.

Best,
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:59 am 

Gainesville Midland 2-8-0 # 116 DOES have a "cracked" boiler. Crack is on the engineer's side about where the injector enters the boiler.
Several photos of the loco in the deadline in Gainesville, after the Seaboard's take over in 1959 have been shot showing the missing boiler jacket and lagging exposed on the right side.
I have an image that clearly shows where the defect is and it will be in Wayne's and my book/series on the Midland.
116 had been sidelined for the last couple of years while the 301 a former SAL and CH&N 2-8-0 handled the Gainesville switching.
Hugh Cain