It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PRR 5706 ( E8 ) and other equipment Sumiton Alabama
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:12 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Officially, they're stored private property.

Unofficially? The rumor mills have said that there are mechanical issues with both Sharks, with the problem presumably relating to the fact that both locos have BLW 608A engines (eight-cylinder) while all the spare parts locos cluttering their back shop lines years ago have/had 606A (six-cylinder) engines, suggesting the likes of a crankshaft problem.

Supposedly the owner, a railfan himself who was soured on other railfans after several burglaries where Baldwin paraphernalia only was stolen (along with six separate sets of replica builder's plates over time), has an eventual preservation-oriented home/destination planned for the duo, when the time comes.

In keeping with the occasion of this date, I will suggest that the new home is the Shark Tank at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. And no, I had nothing to do with that decision. >;-D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:07 am 

PLATFORMCAR wrote:
thought a few members of the forum might care to see the condition of PRR 5898, the other BM&R / PRR E8 in Jackson MO.... photo taken the other day... hard times have fallen on this pair of engines....

Dean Levin

So is this outfit in Jackson, Missouri kaput? I believe that they had a 2-4-2 that had been converted from a tank engine, but were mostly using this Pennsy E8. From the looks of it, the 5898 no longer appears to be operable. Anyone know the story?

Les

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:21 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Les Beckman wrote:
So is this outfit in Jackson, Missouri kaput? I believe that they had a 2-4-2 that had been converted from a tank engine, but were mostly using this Pennsy E8. From the looks of it, the 5898 no longer appears to be operable.

All we're seeing is the results of a missing pilot and deteriorated paint, including one apparently shoddy "touch-up" job.

I regret to say this, but I've seen worse-looking locomotives in revenue freight service, and I'm sure I've ridden on/behind equally bad in excursion service........

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:39 pm 

#5898 was operating as recently as last summer (2010). There are videos on YouTube.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:35 pm 

Last I heard, the unit in Jackson, MO had a thin flange or something to the effect. If it's the front truck that would explain what the pilot is doing off...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:36 pm 

a few more views

Attachments:
JACKSON4.jpg
JACKSON4.jpg [ 35.71 KiB | Viewed 3134 times ]
JACKSON5.jpg
JACKSON5.jpg [ 38.51 KiB | Viewed 3134 times ]