It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TOFC/COFC preservation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 1998 1:42 pm 

I asked this question on the old Ahead of the Torch message board a couple of years ago and I am interested to see if any thing has changed. Has anyone take steps to preserve any of the older TOFC/COFC equipment. The first generations of this equipment is just beginning to reach the end of its anticipated lifespans. I think that TTX has already unloaded its 75ft. ATTX flatcars which were the original PRR Truc-Train flats (if memory serves me correct). Many of the 89ft. TTX flats are approaching 30 years of age. Is is possible to restore a first generation open auto rack? Are the original SP double stackers gone already? There are many old TOFC trailers rattling around. I know of serval CB&Q trailers (with pretty good paint) that live at Furninture World in Becker, Minnesota where they apparently are used for storage. I know of very few attempts to preseve early intermodule equipment and it seems to me like now would be a good time to grab some choice pieces (and not just for hauling around future restoration projects).<br>Sincerely<br>Paul K <br>

paulkattner@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: TOFC/COFC preservation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 1998 2:32 pm 

Not to keep turning the conversation back to Baltimore-- but, well, here I go anyway: the B&O collection includes several items of REALLY early TOFC/COFC equipment, to wit:<p>1. 1960 B&O 40 ton TOFC flat w. single trailer hitch, converted from a boxcar underframe<p>2. 1960 50 ton COFC flat with container cradle, also converted from a boxcar underframe<p>3. 40' 1962 aluminum highway trailer B&OZ 400047<p>4. 40' 1962 flatbed highway trailer B&OZ 300036<p>5. 1964 C&O "railvan" roadrailer 170<p>6. 1966 40' Highway trailer B&OZ 200827<p>7. 1969 Sealand 35' container C-15666 <p>8. 1969 Sealand 35' container 39083<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 1998 6:17 pm 

The Museum of Tranportation has ATTX #470833, built in 1955, one of the original PRR cars transferred to TTX, which had the same number on the PRR. We also have ex-CTA #S-1500, one of the original 1926 North Shore Line trailer transfer flats. The Illinois Ry Museum has a sister car.<br>

rdgoldfede@aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 1998 10:34 am 

I forgot to mention that the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis also has the first tri-level auto rack, Frisco #3000, built in 1960.<br>

rdgoldfede@aol.com