It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ex CPR Royal Hudson 2860 Bows Out
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:22 pm 

The Transport Canada steam locomotive standards circular M-3 is still available here:

http://www.railcan.ca/assets/images/regulations/circulars/CIRCULAR_NO._M-3-FINAL_EN.pdf

The effective date on this document is 2001 so I think Great Western is quite right that this was written with 2816 in mind. It seems to mirror the FRA regulations pretty closely including the 1472 service day life, but still allows the use of a single gauge glass, perhaps someone more familiar with the FRA standards can comment on the differences, and if they would be reciprocal.
To those wondering about interprovincial operation, please remember that there are currently only about 8 - 10 (off the top of my head) operational standard gauge steam locomotives based in Canada, and most of these are either on insular railways, or unsuitable for mainline operation. I agree that it would be better if we had a national set of standards to work to, specific to steam locomotives, rather than the various stationary acts. Until about ten years ago in BC we worked to a Provincial standard for steam locomotives written in 1948 which was much more sensible, this was dropped in favour of the stationary act with the demise of the BC Rail steam program.
Interestingly there are steam locomotives which regularly cross the border into Canada on the White Pass and Yukon, I asked when I was up there last and the steam locomotives are just FRA certified.

Pat Hosford

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:09 am 

p51 wrote:
Jeff Lisowski wrote:
Yeah, Squamish is a tad over an hour north of Vancouver according to Google.
FYI, it's also a place where a LOT of movies and TV shows were filmed, which is another reason why I want to visit there someday: http://www.imdb.com/search/title?locations=Squamish%2C+British+Columbia%2C+Canada

I suspect that many of those were filmed at the huge Britannia Mine museum, though I'm sure the WCRHA collection has been in plenty of shoots too.

http://www.britanniaminemuseum.ca/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:22 pm 

E&N6004,
Thank you for the link to the federal steam rules. Naturally, I couldn't find it the other night when posting!
The most likely inter-Provincial steam operation might occur in Western Canada although there doesn't seem to be much in the wind. The two ex-CPR Pacifics that arrived there last year might be candidates? Again, there is a serious effort ongoing to harmonize the Provincial authorities as well as the heritage boiler groups. Not all Provinces are on board as yet and want to use their own play books. It will be up to owner/operators to challenge those interpretations of the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:20 pm 

Jeff Lisowski wrote:
I made it up to Squamish last Monday. Wow. What a drive up the 99. The scenery alone is worth the trek.

Yes, and it was even better on a train pulled by a Hudson running about 40 mph, or if you were lucky and asked nicely, in the cab.

Of all the steam experiences I've had, being in the cab of the Royal Hudson on that run probably came closest to mainline steam in revenue service. They ran day in and day out, just another train, nothing special. We passed freights, had meets with opposing trains, ran just like any other railroad. No circus, no special handling (other than it being a passenger run and so having priority over freights) and it really felt like a bit of a time machine.

I've been on far faster and longer runs, but none that felt so much like regular railroading at normal train speeds.