It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Christmas Eve listening
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:38 am 

We're a week away, and it's time once again to sit back and enjoy this wonderful recording. And the emotions of this record this year are fresher, with the return of the 611 to the High Iron, the story of the N&W's Grand Lady, and the J's as a Class, has come full circle for a second time. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:56 am 

Another beautiful recording from Ft. Wayne and the 765 in homage to Winston Link's recording that started this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2XFjFvGCTg

Merry Christmas to all.

Post subject: Christmas Eve Listening 2016
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:45 pm 

It is once again time for all of us to enjoy this evening, while sitting around the Christmas tree with our children and family, the sounds of "days gone by." This year I have included two links. The first is from the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society. This is a very well done 5 minute sound track that is a duplication (modern) of the O. Winston Link, "Rural Retreat" sound track from Christmas Eve, 1957. It is my own belief that this should be required listening by all users of RYPN, annually! :-)

At the Rimmasch home we remove train ornaments from our tree and tell stories about the ornaments. Each year, I remove one of the larger steam locomotive ornaments from the tree and play these sound tracks for my children as we talk about the Christmas memories of my parents (my children's grandpartents) who remember the Christmas of 1956.

First link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2XFjFvGCTg

Second Link, O. Winston Link December 24, 1957

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbzAJoW34DM

Included is a picture of the Rimmasch family Christmas Tree. This tree is 10 feet tall, has over 6500 lights including the old candle lights, some larger traditional bulb lights and regular small and large white lights. In addition the tree has some ornaments from Germany that are nearly 100 years old. The old ornaments belonged to my Oma and hung on her tree as a child in Germany before moving to the USA. The tree has candy garland as well as traditional golden garland. Do any of you remember the old "chirping bird" ornaments? Have one! How about the old acorn ornaments? Have those, too. Love the old transitional ornaments that we have and our children ages 15 to 7 love to sit under the tree with me every night and listen to Christmas music and tell or read Christmas stories.

From the Rimmasch home to all of you, Merry Christmas!

Attachments:
Tree 2016small.jpeg
Tree 2016small.jpeg [ 80.41 KiB | Viewed 65373 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:51 am 

Watching the snow fall outside my window tonight, I decided it was time to turn up the speakers and listen to this timeless recording.

Have a Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:27 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Bumped just to stay current...........

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:24 pm 

I'm glad this thread came up when it did. I have listened in the past, and decided to program it to go live on the Steamtown Facebook page at 9:30 PM on Christmas Eve. I reached 3,975 people, was shared 14 times and had 49 "likes" or other reactions. This brought a 60 year old recording to a widespread audience. Right around Christmas Day, the page reached 16,000 likes. For something not named Kardashian, I would guess we are doing well in the social media world.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 am 

Giving this thread a "bump," I would implore everyone involved in railroad or RR museum social media to post this musical interlude to their websites for Christmas Eve. 2017 marks the 60th anniversary of this recording, and this is a very simple, low cost way to promote the universal nature of steam railroading. This is the link I have scheduled to post on the Steamtown page for 9:50 PM on December 24.https://youtu.be/fbzAJoW34DM. If you select another variation on the theme, that is fine. Happy Holidays to all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:28 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Bumpety bump bump. (Toot toot.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:03 pm 

This is an all time classic! Listening to it brings back memories of other railroads and similar scenes.
I stood with my Sister at the depot in Cuba, MO when my Dad came in and stopped with a Frisco 4400 on a passenger train and blasted away. It just reaches inside and reminds me of better days when my family was still here and steam was still running.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:58 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
Watching the snow fall outside my window tonight, I decided it was time to turn up the speakers and listen to this timeless recording.

Have a Merry Christmas!

I'll think of you as we chuck another prawn on the barbeque! Nothing like a 36 degree day outside (Celsius, not Fahrenheit!). Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:14 pm 

Bumped one last time:

SIXTY YEARS AGO THIS VERY HOUR, Link was starting up the recorders............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbzAJoW34DM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:57 am 

Giving this thread another bump. I have already scheduled this recording to go live on the Steamtown Facebook page around 9:50 PM on December 24. Once again, I think that if you are the social media admin for your railroad or museum, this tribute to the sounds of the season and the sounds of steam make for a "movement" if you will, in the preservation movement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 pm 

I've been listening to this every year and it occurs to me no one has done a writeup of SR/N&W/SR trains 41-42, The Pelican. The name was added in the 1940's.

These were heavy Washington-New Orleans trains with through cars to/from New York via PRR. 42 was overnight from New Orleans to Birmingham, then a day train through northern Alabama and Eastern Tennessee to Bristol, then overnight to Washington. 41 was the opposite.

If you listen to the train rolling by and stopping, you can tell it's long. Then listen as the engineer starts the J gingerly, then once they get going lets her run.

Routing was SR-Bristol-N&W-Lynchburg-SR. N&W steam engines handled the train between Bristol and Monroe, except during a late-1940's coal strike and beginning shortly after Link's recording, when SR diesels ran through.

A June 1954 Official Guide shows the following sleepers and diner for 42:

N-9 New Orleans-NY 10 Rmt 6 DBR
2264 Shreveport-Washington (from IC at Meridian) 10S DR 2C
S-67 Knoxville-NY 10 RMT 6 DBR
BN-1 Bristol-NY 10 RMT 6 DBR
101 Bristol-Richmond (to N&W 16 at Roanoke and to ACL 22 at Petersburg) 12S 1DR
WN-1 Williamson-NY (from N&W 16 at Roanoke) 10 RMT 6 DBR
W-3 Roanoke-Washington 10S DR C

N&W Dining Car Birmingham-Roanoke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:15 pm 

Bumped up with an update from LAST year:

The recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWl4ur6hMM

https://www.heraldcourier.com/community ... 4672f.html

Quote:
RURAL RETREAT, Va. — At long last, the famed Rural Retreat Depot is ready for a party.

Surviving decades of disuse and decay, and even once a plan to be lifted up and moved out of town, the 19th Century structure is now finally open.

And, ooh, it looks and smells so nice.

“We are about all done,” said Jerry Hurt, the president of the non-profit Rural Retreat Depot Foundation, Inc. “The building itself is about 90 percent done.”

Though the antique structure never moved from its site at the center of this Wythe County town, the depot has witnessed a six-year, $500,000 journey.

“The difficult part was the funding,” said Hurt, 67. “It was a 150-year-old building, getting ready to fall down.”

Yet the renovation and refurbishing that had its costs kept low thanks to “sweat equity,” said 70-year-old Frank Akers, a member of the Rural Retreat Depot Foundation.

For Akers, the connection to this depot is personal: One of his grandfathers served as the station agent in the early 1900s. “So Frank had more blood in this building than anybody else,” Hurt said with a smile.

Most of the siding on the outside of the building was saved, Hurt said, while the interior had heating and air-conditioning added.

The heating-cooling system changed the architecture, Hurt said, but the structure remains on the historic landmarks register with a “modified” status.

The interior of the 7,000-square-foot building also features a ramp, allowing it to be universally accessible.

Akers says the renovation now offers a space for meetings, weddings and the summertime farmers market in Rural Retreat.

Both Akers and Hurt also say plans are under way to add museum exhibits to the depot.

“Hopefully, by next year, we’ll have an attendant here, and we’ll be able to open most days,” Akers said. “The current debate right now is, ‘When can we be open?’ — and staffing.”

Built in 1856 and rebuilt in 1866, this train station is where famed photographer O. Winston Link made some of his best-known images, as well as an album capturing steam train sounds in 1957.

Akers, in turn, has noted the history of the town with illustrated panels on the depot walls, celebrating Link’s connection to the depot as well as Rural Retreat’s claim to fame as a “cabbage capitol” and for being the final resting of Dr. Charles Taylor Pepper, the man for whom the soft drink Dr Pepper was named.

On Oct. 14, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., the station is hosting its grand opening and ribbon cutting at the center of Rural Retreat.

That includes a visit by Conway Link, a son of O. Winston Link, with a talk on how his father’s famous photographs were produced at the depot as well as recreating the elder Link’s sound recordings that combined church bells and a locomotive’s whistle.

https://theruralretreatdepot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TheRuralRetreatDepot/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:54 pm 

Time to bring this classic back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next