It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to un-seize an Alco 16-251
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 pm 

NYCRRson wrote:
Capping the exhaust stack is a very necessary thing to do...

That reminds me of something I've wondered about before. Why don't they use those "flapper" style stack caps on diesel locomotives? I think they're common on tractors etc, and they have a small counterweight so the exhaust can easily push the cap open, but when the engine stops, it falls back into place over the stack.

I seem to recall seeing something of that sort on a few industrial engines, but not very often. They certainly aren't expensive, and the minute amount of additonal back pressure that pushing them open would require seems to be insignificant.

There must be some reason though, so what am I overlooking?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:43 pm 

Quote:
That reminds me of something I've wondered about before. Why don't they use those "flapper" style stack caps on diesel locomotives? I think they're common on tractors etc, and they have a small counterweight so the exhaust can easily push the cap open, but when the engine stops, it falls back into place over the stack.

We have one on our CPR S-3 # 6591 at RMEO. While it's not historic, it eliminates the risk of a crew member leaving the stack uncovered, or just as serious, forgetting to remove the cover, allowing it to fly off like a rocket, possibly causing serious injury to a bystander.

It is good insurance, and is reasonably inconspicuous:

http://public.fotki.com/elliottd/sfrmeo ... _6591.html

http://public.fotki.com/elliottd/sfrmeo ... g0063.html

At idle, the cover doesn't lift very far. With the engine working hard, it opens a bit further but it still isn't very noticeable. At any rate, the light haze from the stack tends to hide it somewhat.

Steve Hunter
Cardinal, Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:54 pm 

Good to see another "Alligator" come back to life. It's interesting that the only other RSD-15 in running order is the next one on the roster: ex-ATSF 842 in Texas. When I worked in the ATSF San Bernardino radio shop in 1970, the night shop foreman couldn't figure out why some rail fans thought the RSD-15's were "cool". He said quite emphatically, "They're junk. We should scrap every one of them! Give me an EMD any day!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:48 pm 

sbhunterca wrote:
Quote:

We have one on our CPR S-3 # 6591 at RMEO. While it's not historic, it eliminates the risk of a crew member leaving the stack uncovered, or just as serious, forgetting to remove the cover, allowing it to fly off like a rocket, possibly causing serious injury to a bystander.

It is good insurance, and is reasonably inconspicuous:

http://public.fotki.com/elliottd/sfrmeo ... _6591.html

http://public.fotki.com/elliottd/sfrmeo ... g0063.html

At idle, the cover doesn't lift very far. With the engine working hard, it opens a bit further but it still isn't very noticeable. At any rate, the light haze from the stack tends to hide it somewhat.

Steve Hunter
Cardinal, Ontario

Thanks for sharing those pics Steve. I'm in the process of fabricating one for the oval EMD stacks of a FL9, the trial one worked well. I had it held on with a fabricated band clamp like you did, just my flapper is actually 2 per stack and hinged on both sides so one of the flaps will overlap the other at rest over the center of the stack. This is done so it's not one big flap due to the size of the stack. Not having to climb onto the roof of an F unit would make this ideal. I'll get a pic of it and post it next weekend and see what feedback and suggestions the readers may have.

I also have a 567c that I found almost seized that I'm slowly working on getting unseized. I oiled the top deck with a pump spayer full of non-zinc loco oil and also down each of the 16 cylinders through the test cocks. Opening the base doors and spraying the crank and rods is next along with another application of oil down the cylinders. An ATF/acetone mix may be sprayed in there too, it will need a lube oil change before being put back into service anyhow. It last ran in Nov, 1995 and taken out of service due to replacement, not mechanical failure. I have hope that it will unseize, it's not a full time project but I'll give an update when some more progress is made. I'm glad IRM has documented what they did and I'll do the same for others that may run into this down the road.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 pm 

Hoo-Weee … chunky style exhaust!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:55 pm 

Firing up an old Alco is almost as much fun as firing up a steam engine.....:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:38 am 

Gary Gray wrote:
Firing up an old Alco is almost as much fun as firing up a steam engine.....:)

Operative word - ALMOST...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:56 pm 

Just wanted to add to this old thread-

We are a new believer in this 50:50 mixture of ATF and acetone. Today at our museum work session we decided to tackle the task of removing the rusty lugs from our newly acquired 1937 REA Dodge truck.

This truck had been sitting in a pasture near Huntsville, AL for the past 40 years. We mixed up a batch of this stuff and sprayed it on two weeks ago.

Today, every single lug came off with no problems, as did the drive shaft. Wow, that stuff is MAGIC!!

Thank you RYPNr's who passed this tip along!

Matt Bumgarner
Alexander Chapter-NRHS