It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Milwaukee Road branchline combine?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:27 pm 

Bob Davis wrote:
The car in the photo reminded me of one I saw and photographed about 20 years ago in Clear Lake, Iowa. There was a small trolley museum at the east end of the Iowa Traction line, and a car with no number lettered "B & B Car" sitting outside the carbarn. It had the ribbed sides and the open platform referred to above. A look inside to barn revealed an open bench car, and they may have had a North Shore interurban. Where would this car fit into the story?

Bob -

It would be interesting to know if the car is still on the Iowa Traction property. There have been enough photos of the railroad taken in the last 20 years, that IF it was still there, someone must have seen it.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:32 pm 

gbrewer wrote:
Les,

I found my booklet, "Rails to Possum Trot", by J. A. Stone. Here is a little more information on the Reader combine:
Reader 501 was built by the Milwaukee Rode in 1938 and was originally numbered 2708. Purchased by Reader in 1962.

Glen Brewer
RailroadGloryDays.com
http://railroadglorydays.com

Thanks Glen! So that gives us the numbers of all the known surviving cars:

2708 in French Lick, Indiana

2713 in Mendota, Illinois

2716 in Dunlap, Illinois

2756 in Chisago City, Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm 

Bob Davis wrote:
The car in the photo reminded me of one I saw and photographed about 20 years ago in Clear Lake, Iowa. There was a small trolley museum at the east end of the Iowa Traction line, and a car with no number lettered "B & B Car" sitting outside the carbarn. It had the ribbed sides and the open platform referred to above. A look inside to barn revealed an open bench car, and they may have had a North Shore interurban. Where would this car fit into the story?

On the Iowa Trolley Park website it appears they do have a Milwaukee Road ribbed-side caboose but no combine. It's possible it was sold at some point. The North Shore car formerly at ITP went back to IATR in 2002, the Iowa Terminal sweeper left in 2005, and the San Francisco PCC was sold back to Muni around that time too though it hasn't been moved west. I think the open car may have been a Gomaco product on loan to ITP, possibly even for testing, but am not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:25 pm 

Folks -

A friend of mine, Dennis Slone, got ahold of me earlier today and said that he knew of another possible Milwaukee Road branchline combine. He said that a number of years ago, he was out in Limon, Colorado and visited the depot museum that was located there. At that time, in addition to the other pieces of equipment scattered around, there was a MILW combine. At that time, he did not even know what it was. I tried to find some info on the internet about that museum, and it appears that the car may still be there. Unfortunately, the photo I found is a very distant shot, so I could not be sure. Does anyone know if this car still exists at Limon and if so, its number? A photo would be an added bonus.

Thanks for any help. Maybe we can extend our list of surviving CMStP&P branchline combines by a little bit.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
Does anyone know if this car still exists at Limon and if so, its number? A photo would be an added bonus.

Photos (unfortunately no number apparent):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2287442
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2287527

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:13 pm 

Frank Hicks wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
Does anyone know if this car still exists at Limon and if so, its number? A photo would be an added bonus.

Photos (unfortunately no number apparent):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2287442
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2287527

Frank -

Thanks for finding these photos. So we can add another car to the list of surviving Milwaukee Road branchline combines! The car looks in pretty decent shape. I assume that the "bluish" paint band down the center of the car was originally maroon. This is obviously one of the longer cars with the RPO/mail section so would have been numbered in 2750-2759 series. I wonder how much of the original interior remains? Perhaps Erik Thompson of the Iron Horse Central might be able to get some ideas for the restoration of the 2756 at his museum.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:35 pm 

Based on the door and window locations, the car appears to have been built with a Railway Mail Service standard 15' RPO compartment. The floor plan and details for this standard is available in any older Car Builder's Cyclopedia, including the Kalmbach reprint of the 1940 edition.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:

So that gives us the numbers of all the known surviving cars (as amended):

2708 in French Lick, Indiana

2713 in Mendota, Illinois

2716 in Dunlap, Illinois

2756 in Chisago City, Minnesota

275x in Limon, Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:57 am 

I'm pretty sure there's one in South Dakota....I believe it was in Milbank....it may be for sale, not sure....If I remember right they had an operation there called the "whetstone valley express", might have been a NRHS chapter? I've seen pictures of it, several years ago...can't seem to find any now........
Anybody know more about it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:24 pm 

On our way out to Colorado Springs to attend ARM's annual Meeting in 2008, we briefly stopped off at the Limon, Colorado junction to see what was there. Small depot museum (it was closed) along with several pieces of rolling stock including the Milwaukee Road ribbed side combine. Behind me were three passenger cars including an ex-N&W, nee-Wabash heavyweight something. Here's the photo of the Milw Road car. I have no idea if this car is still there.
The building looming behind the Milw car and the ex-UP caboose is the Rock's Limon depot.
Thanks!

Attachments:
Limon, Colo 9-7-08.jpg
Limon, Colo 9-7-08.jpg [ 338.54 KiB | Viewed 9501 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:37 pm 

As of a year ago, the MILW branchline combine was still in Milbank. It is part of a collection of passenger equipment alongside a city park on the north side of town. The cars were used in the community's annual Trainfest until a few years ago. The festival ceased due in part to a lack of volunteer support. Cars are still on track connected to the Sisseton-Milbank RR. The car was the "short" variety and was last used as a "block and cable" car by the MILW and was stuffed with rerailing material.
Alex Huff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:03 am 

Alex Huff wrote:
As of a year ago, the MILW branchline combine was still in Milbank.

Again, couldn't find a number online but did find a photo:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1119179119047727680AquvBC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:35 am 

Frank Hicks wrote:
Alex Huff wrote:

Based on its smooth-side construction, we can narrow it down to the 2700-2707 series.

It seems that most of these survivors are from the MOW era. Did any survive with their passenger interiors intact?

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 am 

wilkinsd wrote:
Frank Hicks wrote:
Alex Huff wrote:

Based on its smooth-side construction, we can narrow it down to the 2700-2707 series.

It seems that most of these survivors are from the MOW era. Did any survive with their passenger interiors intact?

David -

In addition to the smooth sides on this Milbank car, the other identifying feature showing it's a 2700-2707 series car are the arch windows. The balance of the cars all had square windows. Your queston about intact interiors is a good one. Maybe we will eventually get an answer.

BTW, while trying to check out info on these cars on the internet, I found a reference on a Milwaukee Road discussion website, of a car in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Possibly at a restaurant there. But I couldn't nail anything positive down, and the discussion was from a number of years ago. Maybe someone might have some knowledge either pro or con.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:23 am 

Alex Huff wrote:
As of a year ago, the MILW branchline combine was still in Milbank. It is part of a collection of passenger equipment alongside a city park on the north side of town. The cars were used in the community's annual Trainfest until a few years ago. The festival ceased due in part to a lack of volunteer support. Cars are still on track connected to the Sisseton-Milbank RR. The car was the "short" variety and was last used as a "block and cable" car by the MILW and was stuffed with rerailing material.
Alex Huff

Alex -

From the comments on the photo listed after your posting, it appears that you "righted" this car and re-railed it after it had been derailed and turned on its side. So it appears that you were very instrumental in saving it from being scrapped. So, a belated thank you!

I wonder if the car suffered much damage from its ordeal. From the photo, none seems evident, but then, we are only seeing one side of the car.

Les

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next