It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anything Going on in Yreka?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:54 pm 

Just wondering if anybody had any updates on activities at the Yreka Western. Last I heard, the 19 was under repair, and they were storing a lot of equipment. It really seems like a railroad with a ton of potential, the depot location alone is worth killing for. Apparently there have been some rough times with finances over the last couple years, so like I said, any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance, Taylor

Post subject: Re: Anything Going on in Yreka?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:30 pm 

I thought I read that #19 was sold off to an operation in Oregon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 pm 

Derail,

You may be thinking of the recent sale of McCloud River RR 2-6-2 #25 to the Oregon Coast operation in Garibaldi, OR.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:22 am 

Taylor Rush wrote:
Just wondering if anybody had any updates on activities at the Yreka Western. Last I heard, the 19 was under repair, and they were storing a lot of equipment. It really seems like a railroad with a ton of potential, the depot location alone is worth killing for. Apparently there have been some rough times with finances over the last couple years, so like I said, any updates would be appreciated.
Taylor,
check out this thread:
A few Milwaukee Road Hiawatha coaches being scrapped
It's about the ex-Milw cars at Yreka and other comments about Yreka Western, etc.

The other year I heard that the contractor that had done the boiler work on the #19 had not been paid. And the contractor was trying to place a lien on the locomotive, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:52 am 

Wasn't the 19 listed for sale on DF Barnhart or Ozark Mountain for a while?

Happier times, circa 2007 (?), my memory isn't what it used to be.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Not sure whether to reactivate a dead thread or start a new one, so....

Trains News Wire:
Quote:
Yreka Western 2-8-2 No. 19 may soon have a new home. A sheriff's auction is set for the locomotive, a 1915 Baldwin product, on Oct. 25 at 10 a.m. at the railroad's shops in Yreka. The locomotive will be available for inspection on Oct. 24 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Payment by bank letter of credit or cashier’s check will be required from winning bidder at the conclusion of the sale. The winning bidder must arrange to remove the locomotive immediately from the property or arrange storage with Yreka Western.

Iowa Pacific President Ed Ellis tells Trains News Wire he will store the locomotive for the successful bidder for free on one of his railroad properties.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:13 pm 

I was in Yreka yesterday (9/23). While I heard nothing regarding the sheriff's sale of #19, I can say that the only other equipment remaining there other than stored freight cars is one diesel switcher (at the Timber Products plant east of town) and two SP commute coaches destined for the Oregon Coast Scenic RR.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:17 am 

Peter Nicholson wrote:
I was in Yreka yesterday (9/23). While I heard nothing regarding the sheriff's sale of #19, I can say that the only other equipment remaining there other than stored freight cars is one diesel switcher (at the Timber Products plant east of town) and two SP commute coaches destined for the Oregon Coast Scenic RR.

The two SP Commute coaches are #2124 and #2138. OCSR purchased these two along with the #2127 from Fred Kempner in 2006. They have already moved the #2127 from Yreka north to Tillamook, but the other two are in storage in Yreka awaiting funds to be raised for the move. All three were built by Pullman in 1924 in SP Class 72-IC-1 with 96 seats.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:38 am 

Does anyone have an idea of what time is left on the boiler?

-R. F. Hanks
Swindon Locomotive Works
March 18, 1960

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 am 

I think it was worked on about 5 years ago. The outside contractor claimed not to have been paid and placed a mechanic's lien on the locomotive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:55 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Not sure whether to reactivate a dead thread or start a new one, so....

Trains News Wire:
Quote:
Yreka Western 2-8-2 No. 19 may soon have a new home. A sheriff's auction is set for the locomotive, a 1915 Baldwin product, on Oct. 25 at 10 a.m. at the railroad's shops in Yreka. The locomotive will be available for inspection on Oct. 24 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Payment by bank letter of credit or cashier’s check will be required from winning bidder at the conclusion of the sale. The winning bidder must arrange to remove the locomotive immediately from the property or arrange storage with Yreka Western.

Iowa Pacific President Ed Ellis tells Trains News Wire he will store the locomotive for the successful bidder for free on one of his railroad properties.

Did this sale take place? Anybody know what the winning bid was?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:59 am 

You are a month early.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:26 pm 

Duh! Hits forehead on desk...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:55 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
YREKA, Calif. – The sheriff's auction of Yreka Western 2-8-2 No. 19 scheduled for Oct. 25 has been canceled, according to a source connected to the sale. The auction is expected be rescheduled and notice will be provided once a date is determined.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:41 pm 

I thought this was very interesting to read....

https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/bri ... escription

The Colebrookdale Railroad is raising funds to bring a number of century-old passenger cars back to this amazingly historic and beautiful little Civil War-era railroad line. We are hoping to bring home a 1915, Philadelphia-built steam locomotive in time for its 100th birthday! The locomotive was a star of the films "Stand By Me" and "Emperor of the North." We're also looking to bring home historic passenger cars. The cars--replete with stained glass and beautifully-inlaid wood--are the last of their kind and will be scrapped if they are not moved. Finally, we're hoping to acquire a historic diesel engine and a caboose. We can make it happen with your help!