It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buckeye Central Scenic closing, assets to be auctioned
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:56 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It appears that the Buckeye Central Scenic RR is operating its last runs this upcoming weekend, or the next. Apparently the railroad is being evicted from its line at the expiration of a lease, in favor of a bike trail.

From today's Trains.com Newswire:

HEBRON, Ohio - The Doug Smith Realty & Auction Co. has been commissioned to sell a number of items from the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad, which is shutting down its operation at Hebron, Ohio, according to the realty and auction company's web site.

The items scheduled to be on the block Oct. 13 at the Buckeye Central Scenic include: Davenport 50-ton diesel locomotive No. 4; Plymouth model JDT locomotive No. 7; BCSRR coach No. 200 (Constitution), ex-Baltimore & Ohio; former B&O/REA baggage/horse car No. 742; a Chessie System caboose; a tie handler; a Kilbourne & Jacobs dump car; a small open hopper car; and a variety of grade-crossing signals, sheds, tools, and hardware.

For more information, contact the auctioneer at info@dougsmithrealtyauction.com

Much more information on the closing at:

http://home.insight.rr.com/pcaravan/
http://home.frognet.net/~mcfadden/wd8rif/bcsr.htm

[no word on the BCSR's 8599, a B&O-style-painted ex-Conrail/PRR SW1, or the reported four former CN coaches... and now I have to go kick myself because I managed a few years ago to roll right past that RR en route from Columbus to Zanesville without even realizing it was there.....]

Post subject: Re: Buckeye Central Scenic closing, assets to be auctioned
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:19 pm 

More info here...

http://dougsmithrealtyauction.com/Oct%20info.htm

Post subject: Buckeye Central Scenic assets to be auctioned
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:36 pm 

The caboose is steel, cupola, PM/C&O A989, built 1941.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:31 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
And likewise, sad commentary:

Note the tear almost hidden by the coupler.

Might make for compelling "last run" photos, sadly.

The auction notice says the excursion operation is "moving". Has anyone any idea where?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:01 pm 

From what they are showing in the auction, this is really the "leftovers" that they didn't take with them, essentially the friction bearing items that they couldn't move by rail. A few years ago they cut up a very complete heavyweight B&O coach at this location, I saw the car and I really didn't understand why they didn't try to sell it first.

I don't think they've been operating out of this location for some time. Last I knew they were operating out of Cambridge, Ohio. Perhaps someone in eastern Ohio could shed some light on this?

By the way, the side dump car isn't the last one remaining...

David Farlow, CMO
Whitewater Valley Railroad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:09 pm 

They were operating from Byesville Ohio.

http://www.bsrw.org/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:56 pm 

Here are the only details I could find:

Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad
Address: Rt 821, Exit I-77, Byesville, OHIO, 43025-0601 USA. Tel.: 740-432-2022 Toll Free: 800-933-5480
The Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad is on tour in Byesville, Ohio which is located south of Cambridge, Ohio just south of intersections of I-70 AND I-77 (first exit south on I-77). Visit the Jackson Park Blast and enjoy a demonstration train ride on the Buckeye Central Railroad. Train will depart from Second Street in Byesville beside the Peoples Bank. The train will run from Byesville south to Derwent for a ride on restored welded steel rails using our vintage railroad equipment.

Is this the same group or did they just lease the SW1 and coaches? It doesn't look like they have been using this equipment since 2005 according to the website.

David Farlow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:00 pm 

When I worked as a conductor on CSX in 2000-2002 I did some volunteer work at the Buckeye Central Scenic. We all knew that it was just a matter of time before the owner of the rail line pulled the plug on the operation. They had been threatening a bike trail for years. With that possibility hanging over our heads I lost interest in the operation, believing that my work would be in vain (which it was).

The rail line was handicapped by several things. First was its location. Their station was located in the middle of nowhere and ran to the outskirts of Newark. They began nowhere and ended nowhere. There wasn't much to see along the way either. No spectacular scenery, just fields, trees, and houses. Another handicap was their Hebron station was leased from a private owner at a relatively high rent. Also their CN passenger cars weren't suited to the operation, having no opening windows and designed to operate with ice air conditioning. I remember that they were in poor condition then.

The BCSR was kept alive as long as it was by a group of very dedicated people, and I knew that if one or two key people left that the rail line would be doomed. With no ownership of the right of way there can be no long range planning because you don't know when that owner may evict you. The railroad's terminus locations also was a downfall.

Oh well, at least I'll have fond memories of riding the SW-1 on the line. It was a refreshing change from the AC4400s and mile long coal trains that I was riding at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:08 pm 

Well, I'm a bit late to this party. Any idea if any of these pieces survived? Or were they all sold to scrappers? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:32 pm 

Look up Zanesville and Western Scenic Railroad. They haven't done much yet. Still doing a lot of slow maintenance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:10 pm 

Zanesville & Western website not updated in nearly a year. Sounds like a deadend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:50 am 

Just curious if someone from the Zanesville and Western will chime in on this. I know the old Buckeye Central equipment still sits on the Glass Rock Line south of Zanesville, but are you folks doing anything? Love to hear from you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:17 pm 

I posted what information I had on the auction results to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24115&p=105687&hilit=buckeye+central+scenic

Have not heard anything (beyond the website) on the org in their new location. At the time the site was still being updated, their progress seemed pretty slow.

https://www.oldeastie.com Old Eastie: East Broad Top Homepage
https://www.febt.org Friends of the East Broad Top
https://www.eastbroadtop.com East Broad Top Railroad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:02 am 

As of mid 2013, Zanesville and Western Scenic Railroad has been providing train rides between the bridge east of Mt. Perry and Coopermill Road, using a 45-tonner locomotive (privately owned), the ex B&O gondola car, a recently acquired Long Island Car from Knightstown, Indiana (September 2016) and a Family Lines bay window caboose (privately owned). It will be a while until the SW-1 and the rest of the equipment can come down from Avondale. Bridges need to be inspected and rebuilt to FRA standards. I have ridden the newly formed ZWSR many times.