It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restored Pullman "Sunbeam" Returns to Vermont
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:46 pm 

I originally found this on a high-speed rail site, and was kind of surprised it wasn't in Flimsies.

Anyway, here is some material on the Pullman car "Sunbeam," originally built in 1886 and converted to an office car about 1903. Part of the car's claim to fame comes from it having been used by Robert Todd Lincoln (the son of the president) when Robert Todd was an officer at Pullman.

http://www.manchesterjournal.com/ci_182 ... ost_viewed

http://www.hildene.org/about/estate.html

(Scroll down on the site below for photos):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... 838&Page=1

http://vimeo.com/20479597

A whole collection of video clips of the movement of the car to its exhibit site:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kyle7110#g/u

I knew nothing of this beauty before today, but I would bet Car 57 knows plenty.

Last edited by J3a-614 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Restored Pullman "Sunbeam" Returns to New Hampshire
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:54 pm 

As a former New Hampshire resident, I always think "New Hampshire" when I see the word "Manchester." However, this time, it's Manchester Vermont.

Post subject: Re: Restored Pullman "Sunbeam" Returns to Vermont
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:00 pm 

Fixed, state now reads "Vermont" instead of "New Hampshire."

Grrr, I hate to make mistakes. . .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:51 pm 

Fascinating. I wasn't aware of this car. I'm sure Mike and I, both Pullman restorers albeit on different continents, would both be pleased to see this car's restoration.
I'm sure we'd also be quite envious of the teams of skilled workers and the undoubted large bucket of money available to do the job. Quite a contrast to our "smell of an oily rag" budgets.....
Cheers, Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:35 pm 

I hate to blow a self congratulary horn but in this case David Duncan, about to work with us on drawings for a restoration project, had talked with the restorers whom I do not know. Quite a few drawings including the two floor plans, one for the Sunbeam and one for the original car, were found in our collated wood car drawing collection and apparently had contributed significantly to the accuracy of the restoration project as transmitted from the curator at Hildene, Robert Todd Lincoln's summer home. (Worthy of a visit in Manchester Vermont.) So if you are working on a restoration project involving dates from the Pullman Palace Car Co through Pullman Standard and its predecessors / subsidiaries Osgood Bradley and Standard Steel Car (including freight cars) be sure not to forget the Pullman Library at the Illinois Railway Museum. Both Bob Hall and Mike Pannell have had the benefit of drawings from this facility!
Sincerely, Ted Anderson including & for our crew Al Johanson archivist & Bob Webber historian

P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:19 pm 

It should be mentioned that the Sunbeam was restored at the Lancaster & Chester facility in Lancaster, SC by a very talented team of craftspeople lead by Bob Willetts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:23 pm 

Bob is also a very talented visual artist, and brings that discerning eye to the quality of his work as well - as anybody who has ridden the HENDERSON can attest.

dave