It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: museum management
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 1998 8:20 pm 

I'm looking into reduing the museum's by-laws, and was wondering what other museum use for their board. My idea is to have half the Board (Pres, VP, Sec & Treasurer) elected by all the members, and four Superintendents elected by the volunteers in that department. The question - is it possible that the depts will send a nice guy who could be over he/she's head in directing the entire museum effort - budgets, etc.?<p>I beleive that the dept volunteers need a direct link to the board to gain a "shareholders" feeling - and - the Supers should represent their wishes on the board. Afterall, the volunteers are our best assest.<p>Ideas - comments - ?<p>Thanks<br>

bigjiml@home.com

Post subject: Re: museum management
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 1998 1:22 am 

Here's an interesting idea: Have your board appointed by the business community in your area. This eliminates the biggest fallacies of democratically elected management which pretty much elimninates those who are most effective in favor of those least offensive. <p>And, removing the volunteers from any position of political influence would cut down on political infighting within the organization. <p>If the business people see businesslike leadership, they would likely be more responsive to entreaties for support. Think enterpreneurially. <p>In a perfect world, the most talented and involved welder / machinist / painter whatever would also have the best management skills, or would have the ability to think beyond daily experience to see the big picture when it comes to choosing leaders. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Letting the inmates run the asylum is a great way to incourage entropy.<p>Dave <br>

lathro19@idt.net