It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the latest steam news from IRM? 428, 1630?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:42 pm 

Everyone,

I was wondering what the current steam status is at the Illinois Railway Musuem.

I know that they have been working on former UP 428 and Frisco 1630.

I may get a chance to come up this summer. Thanks for the info,

JD Johnson, Morehead and North Fork Railroad Historian

Post subject: Re: What's the latest steam news from IRM? 428, 1630?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:06 pm 

I do not work much in the steam Dept, but three locos are in the shop rotation. Maybe the most likely next to steam might be the KL&L 5 shay. Smokebox repairs are underway, new tubes and superheater tubes are on hand, the bottom (third) of the front tubesheet has been removed, and the new sheet ready to be rolled on the McCabe Flanger in a week or two. We just picked up new pilot beams of 7x12 oak.

The decapod has had the rear driver set successfully removed using the drop pit, and is being prepared to be sent out, I think it has been decided to install new tires rather than turn the old ones. I helped on patterns for new ashpan doors, and for driver shoes and wedges. Those are out for casting, and a pattern for one of the grate styles should be done this weekend.

And work continues on the UP 428 2-8-0, I believe the cab is about ready to be reunited with the engine and the tender has seen a lot of work, from rebuilding the trucks, on up.

There is an unofficial exchange of IRM info with fairly regular steam reports on the Yahoo Group called IRMlist. JD if you are coming out, give me a heads up and I would be happy to show you around and gab a while.

Bob Kutella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:58 pm 

So, what's the lastest news on the 1630? It seemed the restoration was completed last October. I'm not aware of any problems that came up, so did something come up with the 1630?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:27 pm 

This year, SLSF 1630 had a few problems come up. We were not able to satisfactorily resolve these issues before her tube time was up.

The Steam Shop volunteers are now preparing for 1630's 230.17 "One thousand four hundred seventy-two (1472) service day inspection". Removal of tubes, flues, jacketing, lagging, appurtenances, etc. are ongoing.

UP 428 has been on the back burner due to the 1630 work. The big 428 activity this year has been removal of two drivers to allow for wheelset and axle box work.

J. Neils #5 (a 3-truck Shay) is being prepared for replacement of the springs in the front truck. Further boiler and smokebox work is planned.

Some information is available in a few recent posts on the IRM "blog" at http://www.irm.org . These posts have steam-related titles.

Regards,
Bob Milhaupt
IRM Steam Department Volunteer