It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Age of Steam and transition to Frisco
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:51 pm 

Age of Steam Museum, in Dallas, Texas, has been in and out of the news, often due to the hostility of a single city board member, and also due to the personal management style of the museum Director. No it's going to Frisco, about thirty miles away, and hopefully, to a brighter future. BNSF has thrown a huge hand into the new museum, as has the city of Frisco. BTW, the City of Frisco uses the Frisco Railroad logo as the city symbol. It appears on street signs and official buildings, not to mention the City Council's chair backs!

The "big guns" and the stars of the show.

The Russian Decapod, in better shape than the last time I saw it, but really, just a coat of urethane paint.

Big Boy 4018

The severed pistons (not a death knoll for the locomotive, btw).

The locomotives are painted, but much of the restoration has not been completed, forgotten, or postponed. The move to Frisco should be a huge improvement. Frisco loves and wants the trains. The new site is huge and permanently linked to the BNSF.

Post subject: Re: Age of Steam and transition to Frisco
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:52 am 

Wow, great to see all the locomotives looking so good! I kinda feel sorry for the GG1. Looks like it's saying "What the heck am I doing here???" So when's the great move gonna take place?

Post subject: Re: Age of Steam and transition to Frisco
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 am 

That is the big question. The new site is being prepped, but no track has gone down, albeit there are ties and tons of rail on site. It is being beautifully graded, and as I said, Frisco is thrilled to get the collection. Display tracks will be further apart, with plenty of room to create displays, etc.
Initial plan is to begin moving buildings to the new site, starting immediately. I'll be amazed to see the how much money is bled to get everything on site. The Museum's Director is not renown for his follow through on fiscal projects, according to volunteers who have thrown up their hands in disgust. At this time, BNSF and the City of Frisco have invested the most cash into the move. Allegedly, the move is to be completed before December 31st! It'll take nothing less than a miracle to meet that date.