It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: St. Louis Museum of Transportation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:04 am 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Martin Moorefield wrote:
Us Virginian's want our Y6a back................

Great pictures btw...

Martin

I'm sure Mad River wouldn't turn down NKP #170.

I don't think I need to say anything about most groups in PA and the 952...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:12 pm 

I can testify that what we do at MoT is no walk in the park. I am a restoration volunteer at the Museum of Transportation, and I absolutely love being able to help preserve and restore these old girls (and one ol' boy). I wouldn't trade the past 2 years of volunteer work for anything. It would be nice to be paid for doing this, but I'm perfectly fine doing it on my own time and dime.

Like Mr. Butler said in an earlier post on this topic, we do have a good amount of volunteers at the museum at this point, which is always good news. However, there is one drawback (in my opinion). I am (as far as I know) the youngest volunteer (restoration-wise and maybe even the youngest volunteer, period) at the museum, and I'm in my mid-20s. We do have more people become volunteers from time to time, but they're all a little up in their years (no offense intended to Mr. Butler or any other volunteer from MoT who reads this). There is, essentially, no infusion of 'new blood' here, which can become a problem. I know most of the other volunteers have, for the most part, done this for a far longer time, and they, more times than not, know what they need to do to get a job done and how to do it. I'm still learning tricks of trade from them, and it will be quite a while before I know half of what they do.

Anyway, returning to the original point I was making, since there is, essentially, no infusion of 'new blood' in the restoration department of the museum, I believe this could very easily become a problem down the road. The restoration volunteers at MoT now will not be around forever, and if there are no younger volunteers for them to teach how to do all the things that are good to know for railroad preservation/restoration, then their knowledge will go with them when they leave. I know this is no unique situation, and I'm fairly sure that other museums have the same problem.

I will say this regarding the volunteers at MoT (especially the restoration volunteers): they are some of the nicest guys I've ever met. When I first became a restoration volunteer at MoT, I knew absolutely nothing about railroad preservation/restoration. I had never really used power tools or anything. I came in with basically no experience. In the two years I've been there, I've learned so much. I am so thankful to all of the volunteers for not only teaching me how to help preserve/restore our collection but for also making me feel like I'm making a difference with what I'm doing there. I hope, as time goes by, we can get more young people to step up and volunteer in restoration. We can always use people who, to quote Mike Rowe,, "...aren't afraid to get dirty" (and trust me, you will get dirty).

For my last thought in this ramble, if you haven't been able to visit MoT at least once, I highly recommend it. I love this place so badly. I frequently say that MoT is my "home away from home". Whenever I'm there (regardless if I'm volunteering, meeting family/friends there, or just walking the grounds), I can't help but smile. The St. Louis Museum of Transportation is quite a gem, and we have quite a few gems for you to see when you arrive.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:54 am 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:
I can testify...

If there was a "Like" button, you'd have a "Like." Wonderful post. It is always great to hear about someone's passion and unbridled enthusiasm!

Rob