It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: WW I Railroaders
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:16 am 

Yup, I got the two Standards screwed up, not as familiar with the railroad biz as I am tractor world.

Ted, there is an operational 60 CM line here in Southern Wisconsin with terrain similar to what the US Army was up against in the Verdun area- we're down to a 4.8 max grade I think after our 1998 rebuild. We run a 1943 Henschell 10 ton at the moment, a 8 ton is under restoration.

I've volunteered/worked for the McCormick-International Harvester over 20 years now,
and was instrumental in getting the older tractor blueprints out of Case IH, work with the folks doing the restoration of the pre-1922 tractors, and in some cases, recreations of models no longer existant.

Never been to Cantigny but I certainly know the history of the place and the "other" branches of the McCormick family, one of the causes of the split being steam traction engine manufacture....

I do have a request in for drawings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 am 

You may be interested to know that the restored baldwin 10-12-D 4-6-0t recently made a visit to Bachmann UK to be displayed and measured. There is talk of a model in 009 - 4mm scale, 9mm track.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:56 pm 

This may be of some interest.
Kalmbach, the hobby publisher, is releasing a book on "Model Railroads Go to War", written by
Bernard Kempinski.

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/12483.html

The author has done all sorts of interesting over the years, including an O Scale Civil War era layout. I'm mentioning it because he told me that the book includes a WW1 project.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:15 pm 

Railway Magazine out of the UK just put out an interesting issue on military railroads, and it has some stuff on US equipment as well (but mostly focusing on Brit military RRs):
http://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/issue/View/issue/RM201407/july-2014

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:49 pm 

Has anyone checked the Baldwin records in Harrisburg to see if there's anything there for drawings? Just going down the list, don't want to duplicate someone's efforts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7