It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Two locomotives in Huntington, W.V.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:58 pm 

David H. Hamley wrote:
One non-export loco was that odd 2-8-0 for USATC in 1952.

That would be USATC #610 that was assigned to FT Eustis, VA. She was an S160A, a little bit different from her sisters at Eustis 606, 607, 611 (the engine with frankin roatry valve gear), 612 and 620. 610 is now in the possession of the Tennessee Valley Railroad, and has been civilianized.

Brett

Last edited by brettcog2000 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:59 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:

"BTW, the 1309 is one of the steam locomotives that we have a record of as actually running through North Judson, Indiana where our museum is located."--Les Beckman

That's fascinating to read! I would hardly believe one of those machines--and that one in particular--would have made it out that far west, on the C&O of Indiana. Supposedly that line was largely 2-8-2 territory, and didn't have the heavy coal traffic of the line to Columbus. Wonder what it was doing out there? One of those engines would be powerful, about the tractive effort and weight of a 2-8-4, but it wouldn't be a speed demon.

That C&O would order ten 2-6-6-2s to a WWI design as late as 1948/49 was always a bit of a mystery to me."--David H. Hamley

The reason that 2-6-6-2 was running on the C&O of Indiana was an event called the Chicago Railroad Fair. In 1949, the C&O sent its very newest 2-8-4, #2789, to the fair to be exhibited with railroad equipment from other railroads and builders. BUT, the 2789 was too heavy for some of the old trestles on the C&O of Indiana so had to be sent a round-about way and never went through North Judson. These trestles are the reason why Mikes, and not the Kanawha's handled freight over this line. Ironically, the 2789 today resides at HVRM. The Fair itself was a great success and thus was repeated in 1950, and this time, the C&O decided to exhibit its newest steam locomotive, the 1309! But even though heavier than the Kanawha's, the engine had lower axle loadings and thus was able to run over the C&O of Indiana. And as long as it was running over the railroad, why not use it in freight service? We have a photo taken by Malcom D. McCarter and from his collection, of the engine heading up a string of hopper cars on a southbound freight after her stint at the Fair!

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:19 pm 

Amazing!! And I bet that photo shows one shiny Mallet on that string of hoppers!!

Wonder what the crews thought of that "double engine" on a line mostly populated by 2-8-2s?

The C&O of Indiana was a secondary route for passenger service, which was held down by little two and three car locals. Power was either early F-15 4-6-2s, or jewel-like Atlantics:

http://www.yesteryeardepot.com/CO284.JPG

Don't you wish a few of these were still around?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:32 am 

J3a-614 wrote:

The C&O of Indiana was a secondary route for passenger service, which was held down by little two and three car locals. Power was either early F-15 4-6-2s, or jewel-like Atlantics:

http://www.yesteryeardepot.com/CO284.JPG

Don't you wish a few of these were still around?

The 4-4-2's were standard power on the trains for years. Only when diesels started coming in and working main line passenger trains were the Atlantics replaced by the bumped-down F-15 4-6-2's.

Yes, it would be nice to have one of the Atlantics or an F-15 Pacific around but unfortunately, that's impossible. What we THOUGHT might happen however, was that one of the old C&O RPO/baggage/coaches that were a standard fixture on the trains, was going to come back to North Judson for preservation at HVRM. Two of these cars had been sold by the C&O to the Soo Line and eventually one of them found its way into MofW service. We had hopes that CP was going to donate the car to Hoosier Valley, but they wouldn't allow it to move on its own wheels. The alternative costs to move it were prohibitive, so not even that one small part of these C&O of Indiana passenger trains, is going to be saved.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:46 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
u25b wrote:
Great displays, pity they only had an SD50 cab rather than an SD50 locomotive. I bet there wont be too many of them preserved.

Wes

At least one CSX SD50, 8595, is supposed to be preserved. It's significance is that it was the LAST locomotive to be purchased for the B&O (under Chessie System). If you see it, you should see a painted box under the cab (I think on both sides) that says something like, "Do Not Dismantle, Hold for B&O Museum", and gives a contact number. There are at least two other locomotives on CSX similarly tagged, 6341 (formerly B&O 4447, the last GP40-2 purchased by the B&O) and (I think ) 6063 in Florida (former EMD anniversary unit GM50).

If memory serves me correct, a SD40-2 is also supposed to be wayward bound to the B&O museum upon retirement. Let's hope CSX holds true to their word and doesn't put it through the SD40-3 program, If it hasn't been already.

EDIT: It's CSX 8242 Ex-B&O 7600 One of 20 Chessie SD40-2s. No Pictures have been found past 2007 however with a clear shot of it..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:57 pm 

The Chicago Railroad Fair was 1948 and 1949 (not 1950). See my web site, http://www.railarchive.net/rrfair. If anyone has photos from either year of the fair that you would like to provide as additions to that site, I would like to hear from you.

Relevant to the current topic, can anyone identify where the photo below of C&O 2-6-6-2 1404 was taken? It was provided to me by Tom Rock, but he had no info about the photographer, date or location. There is a large sign at the right that appears to read "D. W. Willey Lumber Co.," but a search for any current lumber company with a similar name has not yielded any results for territory served by the C&O. Perhaps someone here has a clue to the location of this terminal.

Attachments:
co1404.jpg
co1404.jpg [ 53.95 KiB | Viewed 4750 times ]

Last edited by rlsteam on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:10 pm 

I can't say I'm as familiar with much of the C&O's geography outside of West Virginia as I should be, but the location looks to be somewhere very flat, possibly Indiana or Ohio. It could be but does't look like anything on the far eastern end, at Newport News or even Richmond.

There is a chance that this isn't a C&O location, but a place on either the New York Central or the Nickel Plate. C&O didn't have a direct approach to the Chicago area, but did have trackage rights to a point close to there, and rented roundhouse space. One such location in the late steam era was Calumet on the NKP. If we could read that lettering on the tender of the other locomotive, we might have a clue. Then, if it's another C&O engine. . .

The locomotive itself is notable in lacking the number boards on the smokebox that are so prominent in later photos of C&O and NKP power. The C&O first started using those number boards during 1943-1944, so there is a possibility this photo may predate WW II.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:58 pm 

Did a Google search and found this citation in a court case:

Quote:
During 1943 and 1944, petitioner was president of the D. H. Willey Lumber Company, located in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Wesley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 am 

Thanks, that is more logical than Chicago because I doubt the 2-6-6-2 mallets ever ran over the C&O of Indiana to Chicago (unless rarely as noted earlier in this thread). I understand the normal freight power was a 2-8-2 (I have someone's video showing a Mike on that line). It would seem more likely the mallets reached Cincinnati from Ashland, at least on occasion.

I consulted the original, larger image of the photo of the 2-6-6-2. The other locomotive is lettered "Chesapeake & Ohio" and appears to be an 0-8-0.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:18 am 

The location is confirmed--Cheviot Yard, just outside Cincinnati. Take a look at this photo of a C&O 2-8-2 from the archives site of the C&O Historical Society, and take a look above the locomotive--it's not readable, but the sign is there (just above the sand dome), even though the photographer's location seems to be slightly different.

http://www.cohs.org/repository/Archives ... s-7644.jpg

Caption as copied from the C&OHS site: C&O K-2 #1187 ON THE TURNTABLE AT CHEVIOT YARD ENGINE TERMINAL, WESTERN CINCINNATI, OHIO, AUGUST 1939. PHOTO BY R.C. DODT.

Other shots from the C&OHS site at Cheviot:

http://www.cohs.org/repository/Archives ... cogh-8.jpg

COLOR - Overhead view of C&O CHEVIOT YARD near Cincinnati, Ohio, showing F7 #7075 leading eastbound freight at left, cabooses on caboose track, and engine terminal in background, June 1960. Eugene L. Huddleston photo.

Looks like the lumber yard was to the right and slightly above the roundhouse in this aerial view from 1968; it also looks like there is some sort of new store or shopping center in front of it.

http://www.cohs.org/repository/Archives ... 907.19.jpg

AERIAL VIEW OF C&O CHEVIOT,OH YARD SEP 1968

Just a portion of the lumber yard is visible at lower right:

http://www.cohs.org/repository/Archives ... 1907.8.jpg

AERIAL VIEW OF C&O CHEVIOT,OH YARD SEP 1968

Have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:31 am 

Why aren't you on Mythbusters?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:13 pm 

Thank you, again. This is another example of what a valuable resource this forum is. -- RCL