It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 100-year-old Orlando train being given away, WFTV
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:47 pm 

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/100 ... way/nFrbX/

In Rhode Island, it is illegal to operate a passenger car between a locomotive and a load of dirt.

Post subject: Re: 100-year-old Orlando train being given away, WFTV
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:12 pm 

Some parties are interested in the locomotive but three cars on display will also go.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... 8624.story

Photos..

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... x?id=23227

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 pm 

Unless the city can be persuaded that they have a moral and ethical obligation to see this equipment preserved, I think there is an extremely high probability that it will be scrapped on the spot. And I think they do have such an obligation because this equipment has been preserved and publicly displayed on city property as an historical icon. If it was important enough to preserve, it still is that important.

But by the rigid attitude being expressed by the city, I get the sense that the city feels no sense of preservation value of the equipment, and simply sees it as an unwanted obstruction, and will welcome scrapping as quick resolution to the issue.

I realize that buyers cannot be given forever to make a decision, but the one-month period given by the city seems like bad faith. I wonder if a buyer could even arrange and permit the moving within that amount of time. After a month, the city will be able to say they tried to give it away and nobody wanted it.

And why should the city be discouraging the sale by advertising a large financial burden of transportation cost when the cost is actually completely unknown, and depends entirely on the destination? I’ll bet there is enough preservation sentiment among the Orlando citizens to justify the city moving the equipment and displaying elsewhere in the city.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:09 am 

I talked to the Orlando City Attorney today about the locomotive and cars he did send me what the requirements are. here it is...

GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTAL OF OFFERS FOR TRAIN REMOVAL/DISPOSAL
I.
Background
The City has advertised a Request for Letters of Interest for Historical Train Removal/Disposal to obtain offers from parties that wish to take ownership of the train/components to be used for display, historic renovation or potentially salvage. The train, currently located on the tracks at Church Street Station between Church Street and South Street, consists of a Baldwin Locomotive Works #SLSF 3749 (0-6-0) locomotive built in approximately 1911, one tender, one dome passenger car and two club cars. The train is currently a static display and is not operational. Photographs are available at the following website: http://www.cityoforlando.net/admin/purc ... operty.htm
However the City is prepared to contract for removal, transport and storage in the event there is not a successful offer. The target date for the train removal is December 29, 2011. The City is requesting a one month extension for the removal date.
II.
Submittal
Offers must include the price for mobilization, permitting, loading, transporting, unloading, FDOT required insurance coverage and all other related costs for all five train components. The final ship-to location has not yet been determined, however the offer price should assume the delivery location will be within ten (10) miles. Offers should also include the following information:

Past experience obtaining Right of Entry permit from CSX and/or FDOT Central Florida Rail Corridor

A description of the mobilization plan including the area needed for staging

A description of how the train will be removed including the type of equipment and process

A description of how the train will be transported including the type of equipment and process

Estimated number of days to obtain permits including FDOT Central Florida Rail Corridor Right of Entry permit

Estimated number of days to complete the project after the permit is issued

Past experience relocating trains

Provide a plan for use of the train

Provide a price for each of the following:
a.
mobilization, permitting, loading, transporting and unloading to a storage location
b.
mobilization, permitting, loading, transporting and unloading to a recycling location
c.
discount if salvage rights are retained by the contracto

Provide a price per mile for transportation if the delivery location is more than ten (10) miles

If your firm can provide storage, include the monthly storage price and storage location

Contact person, phone number(s), email address, and mailing address
Offers must be received no later than Friday, December 9, 2011 by 5:00 p.m., Local Time, City of Orlando. As time is of the essence, a refundable deposit in the form of a bond, cashier’s check or money order in the amount of $30,000 is required with the Letter of Interest.
Selection will be based on the best value to the City including timeliness of removal and least expense to the City. All offers and inquires are to be sent to:
City of Orlando, Attn: David Billingsley
400 S. Orange Avenue
Orlando, FL, 32801
david.billingsley@cityoforlando.net
(407) 246-2897

This is as a result of a court order and FDOT has told the City of Orlando to remove "The Train".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:55 am 

It sounds to me that the offer to give the equipment away at no charge is being extended to anybody including scrappers. And by 12/9, the equipment will be given to the party who has requested the equipment, provided the $30,000 deposit, and met the qualification stipulated by the city. Obviously, the equipment will be worth transporting for scrapping, so transportation cost will be no obstacle for a scrapper.

The city says they will arrange for removal and storage if no taker can be found. However, I see no possibility of a scenario where no taker will be found.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:36 am 

And of course, it's been "tagged" and that makes it look all the worse. I wonder if scrapping the cars would raise enough money to saved the steamer? Is any portion of the collection redeemable for use as other than display material?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:20 pm 

Here is a link to pictures that show the condition of the interiors of the cars.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/admin/purc ... operty.htm