It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Washington Terminal RS1 57
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:23 pm 

Still in Q town as of March 2016 but now behind a fence. No signs of recent work, looks like 2014 picture.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:03 pm 

I checked through my copies of Railpace and found the reference to 57 in the June 2016 edition.
It mentions that 57 is to follow the PRR doodlebug to the Allentown and Auburn line at Kutztown, PA, at some stage.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:38 pm 

As I noted in a previous post, there was an ex-M&StL RS-1 available in BC several months ago that appeared to be in good condition (though painted for a railroad it never worked for) and was being deaccessioned, it might still be available if anyone is set on an RS-1:

http://www.atrrm.org/blog/2016/07/wcra- ... ollection/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:06 pm 

Been a while since any new posts here.

Drove through Quakertown this evening and noticed that 57 has had its East Penn lettering on the long hood covered over, with new ALLN markings on the cab. Not sure if there is any kind of timeframe when it might be moved off the Bethlehem Branch, but good to see that things are potentially moving forward.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:20 am 

From Railfan & Railroad Magazine:

"On Friday, April 14, East Penn took the RS1 and a former Chicago Northwestern boxcar from Quakertown to Telford, Pa. Then on Sunday, April 16, Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) dispatched a crew and two switchers from Wayne Junction (just north of Philadelphia) to head for Telford and take the locomotive and boxcar down the 10-mile Stony Creek Branch to the Norfolk Southern interchange near Norristown, Pa."

https://railfan.com/alco-rs-1-moved-to- ... gmwapv_QBo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:36 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Meanwhile, WT 59 in Salem, NJ has been reduced to a hopeless basket-case derelict by wanton vandalism and sheer neglect. I suggest that any RS1 owners "play vulture."

Meanwhile, WT 59 in Salem, NJ has been moved to a more secure location...

Incidentally Sandy, I still haven't seen a a response to my query about when and where you rode it for rare mileage.
GME

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:01 pm 

Meanwhile, WT 59 in Salem, NJ has been reduced to a hopeless basket-case derelict by wanton vandalism and sheer neglect. I suggest that any RS1 owners "play vulture."

As a locomotive owner that recently had his 2 locomotives broken into and parts stolen, I find your comments totally unacceptable. My 2 locomotives are stored on a shortline railroad and there were videos on Youtube that called them abandon. Videos and comments like your irresponsible comments just lead to more break-ins and theft.

Restoring locomotives is a costly job, without having to deal with theft and vandalism.

I do know the party that currently owns the RS1 you speak about and have sold him many parts for his future restoration.

I know of 2 rare locomotives in Michigan that have rarely seen the light of day, in the last 40 years because of vultures looking for a chance to get parts, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:45 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
AlcoC420 wrote:

As a locomotive owner that recently had his 2 locomotives broken into and parts stolen, I find your comments totally unacceptable. My 2 locomotives are stored on a shortline railroad and there were videos on Youtube that called them abandon. Videos and comments like your irresponsible comments just lead to more break-ins and theft.

Restoring locomotives is a costly job, without having to deal with theft and vandalism.

I do know the party that currently owns the RS1 you speak about and have sold him many parts for his future restoration.

I know of 2 rare locomotives in Michigan that have rarely seen the light of day, in the last 40 years because of vultures looking for a chance to get parts, etc.

1) Had you see my clarification to this comment on Page 2 of this thread?

2) Why has it taken you NEARLY ELEVEN YEARS to get upset about that comment?

3) The "damage" was done long before I even made that comment, I don't think anything else was left to be taken without a crane or boom truck, or a lot of jacks to steal the trucks.

4) Has anyone won the Powerball lottery to make a donation to this loco's restoration?

I sympathize with the owner and wish him well with his endeavors, but I've had one younger associate who had seen the hulk in Salem ask me "Is this the Fred Kepner of diesels?" (My reply after a shrug was "He's hardly the only one, sadly.....")

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:44 pm 

Quote:
"As a locomotive owner that recently had his 2 locomotives broken into and parts stolen, I find your comments totally unacceptable."

For heaven's sake, not only was this point of view made very clearly within an hour of the original posting, but he explained what he meant only about seven hours later.

Which is something you fairly obviously didn't read.

This is why 'necro thread revival' is so often seen as an abysmal practice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:40 am 

I've read enough about WT 59. Here are the facts. I hooked up with some really bad actors. That unit was not abandoned, as some foamers liked to report. I had two different attorneys, at different times and at great expense, who were unable to resolve several issues for me. I had another attorney tell me that the situation was 'unworkable'. I sold that unit and some other equipment to cut my losses. Aside from being a firm believer in Karma, I've since moved on. Enough is enough.