It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non-equipment museum exhibits
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 1998 2:34 pm 

With all the thought provoking discussions on management, grants and general issues of the last week or so, I thought I'd throw out a new topic: non-equipment exhibits.<p>With our move to a new site with the benefit of buildings within which exhibits of equipment and other non-equipment can be created, SRM is now researching ways to craft exhibits which interest the visiting public.<p>I would be interested to hear how other museums and organizations have chosen to present artifacts, photos, memorabilia, etc. along with the pros and cons of various methods.<p>What have you seen that impressed you or was totally uninteresting? What exhibits have impressed non-railfan visitors and which ones did they tend to skip?<br><br>

davej@gatewaynetworks.com

Post subject: Re: Non-equipment museum exhibits
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 1998 3:46 am 

Hello Dave;<p>I am impressed by things that reach out and touch visitors by providing some context to which they can personally connect. This can take the shape of exhibits which relate the personal life of railroaders in years past, the role of railroads today in supplying things we use everyday, just so long as it is visually interesting and directly relates on a personal level. <p>I also have a penchant for interactive things for the same reason. I was in Indianapolis a few weeks back, and went to the childrens museum to see Reuben Wells. Several times a day they run a sound and light show in the basement display area which is very effective, and makes you think you are riding up that grade at night. there were also some computer type interactive "games" where a visitor would try to "drive a train" up a grade and down a railroad while dealing with things like fuel consumption, power, braking, etc. <p>So, hands on, emotional impact, and thought provocation would be my big 3.<p>Dave <br><br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: head up to altoona and check RRMM
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 1998 4:43 am 

dave, i hear (but have not personally seen) that the new railroaders' memorial museum in altoona does as much in nice fashion; also the eighth air force museum in savannah does a splendid job with a minimum of aircraft in your face <br>

jwrinn@charlotte.com

Post subject: Re: head up to altoona and check RRMM
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 1998 5:29 am 

The Altoona Museum's theme is the people and community that worked the shops there, so that the displays feature the people, their working conditions and accomplishments. One of the unique displays is a grimy saloon with large TV images of workers on the other side of the bar carrying on an animated conversation. This approach along with the technical displays appeals to a wide audience.<br>

frankr@ieee.org