It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Alaska Railroad 2-8-0 #557 to be returned to service!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:12 pm 

After spending a few decades in central Washington state, this meaty Baldwin 2-8-0 is on it's way BACK to the Alaska Railroad for restoration to operation. Not be be confused with the White Pass and Yukon, this is a standard gauge engine which will be reunited with it's owners, the Alaska Railroad. From what I have read, the engine is in excellent shape requiring very little work to get her running again - perhaps only meeting regulatory requirements. Shouldn't take long!

http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/news ... 963f4.html

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=1270

/Mitch

Post subject: Re: Alaska Railroad 2-8-0 #557 to be returned to service!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:53 pm 

So would she be a sister to the TVRM's #610?

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:03 pm 

This is great news!

There is a wonderful water park in Moses Lake. My kids have loved it for years.

So when we are over that way, I always take time to go and visit #557. The climate there is perfect for preservation so as the article indicates, there shouldn't be heavy reconstruction to get it back in service.

Hats off to the Holm family, Lynden Transport, and the Alaska Railroad!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:37 pm 

tomgears wrote:
So would she be a sister to the TVRM's #610?

557 is from the original batch of S-160s built during the war (Baldwin/#70480/1944) that remained stateside.

610 at the TVRM was built by BLH in 1952 (#75503/1952). It has small design differences from the original S-160s.

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:28 pm 

Some of the Army S-160 2-8-0's were given center mounted headlights when in actual service on the Alaska Railroad, which changed their looks considerably. I think that Monte Holm put a Northern Pacific headlight on the engine when in Moses Lake, but I just wondered if the 557 was one of the Alaska engines that got the centered headlight? Thanks.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:59 pm 

Just fabulous. Is this for tourist purposes, or specific train service?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 pm 

Hi guys; It looks like the Alaska Railroad is now part of the class one steam club with Union Pacific & the Canadian Pacific. along with a world wide club of S160 operators. A bit off subject, Patrick Durand sewtrain@mtaonline.net is currently working on a project to produce a Ready to Run HO scale - US Army Transportation Corps WW2 S160 class 2-8-0. These locomotives ran almost all over the world, including Alaska and the Reader Railroad. It may be worth dropping him a line if you are interested. Hope everyone is having fun - David Notarius, London UK (ex New Hope Pa)

Attachments:
File comment: USATC 1707 at Stratford East London Circa 1943. Photograph Edward Talbot collection
usatc-1707-stratford-et-gm0004.jpg
usatc-1707-stratford-et-gm0004.jpg [ 64.33 KiB | Viewed 169442 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:53 pm 

What is the origin of the tender that is currently with the 557? It obviously isn't of USATC design. I thought the 557 kept its USATC-style tender until the end on the ARR.

Les, the 557 kept the high headlight until the end on the ARR. It was the last steam locomotive they operated in 1960 on some excursions.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:12 am 

wilkinsd wrote:
What is the origin of the tender that is currently with the 557? It obviously isn't of USATC design. I thought the 557 kept its USATC-style tender until the end on the ARR.

Les, the 557 kept the high headlight until the end on the ARR. It was the last steam locomotive they operated in 1960 on some excursions.

David -

Thanks. After I sent my note, I found a photo of the 557 in service on the ARR with her high headlight. I also discovered a photo of the OTHER surviving Alaska S-160, number 556 (on display in Anchorage), and she apparently DID have the center mounted headlight.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:37 am 

So is the SP&S/BN business car part of this package?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 pm 

Interesting they decided to work on her in Alaska instead of in the lower 48. That might be pride, but you have to assume it is more expensive to work on it up there. It could also be a statement about how the RR feels about it's shop crew skills.

Any have any information how it was moved to the coast to the barge? By rail or truck?

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:18 pm 

It could be a response to the problems encountered by the WP&Y with the "overhaul" 69 got in the lower 48 before going home. They had to pay twice, and lost its use for a season. Generally, if you have good people around who can handle a job it is good to keep as much in your control as possible, even if you supplement your staff with specialized outside advice when required. Outsourcing is popular, but isn't always a good idea in a specialized arena like tourist railroading.

dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:

The USATC tender was removed when Monte Holm purchased 557 in 1964 and was replaced by the current one, which is ex-NP, IIRC; it will remain at Moses Lake, as ARR already has a USATC tender that was donated by the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry and will be used with 557.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:52 pm 

Scott wrote:
So is the SP&S/BN business car part of this package?

No.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 am 

As many of you may know, we here at Wasatch have been heavily involved in this project for the past four, almost five years.

The entire train set, which included the locomotive, tender, passenger car, two cabooses and one tank car (scrapped) were sold to a private owner, who has a strong influence in Alaska.

Two years ago, after being sold to the private owner, negotiations started that would return the locomotive and passenger car to Alaska. Though I can not say a great deal about the deal, in fairness to all parties, I can tell you the following:

The 557 will be restored and is to be restored with-in the next five years. The project is to be directed by Alaska RR. This does NOT mean that they will do all of this single handedly, it means, they have 5 years to get it done.

The plan is to get the passenger car to Alaska, but, it is NOT part of this move. WRC is doing a COTS inspection on the car and it will be moved to a new location in a matter of weeks. Location is not being disclosed at this time.

WRC did tow the locomotive from Moses Lake to Wheeler. In the 15 mile trip, the warmest bearing was the front truck right side, running about 125-130 degrees F. The drive axles ran at 19 degrees-32 degrees F meaning, they never even warmed up. This is a force feed lubrication system that was checked before the move and found to be in perfect operating condition.

There is something to remember about the 557. It is, in my honest opinion, the last NEW steam locomotive in the United States. The records that we have indicate less than 5000 miles of use. It was used as a training model for the Army. There have been about four boiler repairs made......simply for the sake of making repairs for training. The side rod brass, tires, pins, piping and appliances.....brand new! If we did not have the 49CFR Part 230 rules, I would have fired the locomotive up and run it to Wheeler. It would have done fine!

We should thank the private party behind this move. We should thank Alaska RR for making the commitment to do the project!

Kindly,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next