It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Canal Museum: Involuntary Dislocation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:49 pm 

I found this story while looking for the National Canal Museum's "railroad film night" ordinarily held the last Friday in January. They have shown some gems over the years, usually with the NRHS' Mitch Dakelman as "emcee" and featuring subjects as diverse as Maine Narrow Gauge from the 20's & 30's, a massive flood in Jim Thorpe in the 1930's and Wanamie steam operations from the 1950's & 60's and films related to the UK's change from steam to diesel.

While this story lacks some clarity due to its reliance on quotes from the involved parties that are long on the nebulous non-speak that dominates corporate and political communications these days, what is clear that the NCM is being evicted.

If you don't own your premises, this is a risk.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/easton/index.ssf/2012/01/national_canal_museum_to_leave.html

Post subject: Re: National Canal Museum: Involuntary Dislocation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:29 pm 

I think some of the comments posted by readers hit the mark - does it make sense to have a canal museum NOT at a canal? Frankly the exhibits were looking old and outdated when I was there last year. I always wondered how many (if any) families went to both the Crayola Experience and the museum - not a lot of synergy there.

Hugh Moore park does a really good job with their canal boat rides. I would think tying the museum in with it would work well - better than their original sight along the Delaware River by the Delaware Canal with no real "ride" opportunity. The only downside is that Hugh Moore Park is a little difficult for the out of towner to find. Still I think in the long run this move is a positive.

Post subject: Re: National Canal Museum: Involuntary Dislocation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:46 pm 

Tim I tend to agree with your assessment. The comments you reference make sense to me as well as does the idea its a long run positive. To be honest, I always thought the location was either driven by cost or some misperceived value from being "downtown".

The point was that this is causing some disruption to the organization and the risk of eviction exists whenever any person or organization rents.