It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caboose bodies and boxcar at auction 1-12-2012
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:06 pm 

I received notice of an auction of a former rail contractor in the mail the other day. The notice lists "(3) 45' cabooses all finished inside with offices and bathrooms, very nice conditions, central a/c and heat, sitting on frames, currently used as offices" and "40; boxcar that has been finished with bathroom and two offices, a/c and heat, nice".

There are photos on the notice but not on the website. The cabooses appear to be conversions from outside-braced boxcars with bay windows added, and do appear from the photos to be in good condition overall.

The listing and contact information is at http://www.blackmonauctions.com. They do a lot of equipment and rail-related auctions and I've attended a couple, but otherwise have no connection to the auctioneer or seller... just thought I'd pass this along.

Post subject: Re: Caboose bodies and boxcar at auction 1-12-2012
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Location, location, location............

Muskogee, Oklahoma.

There's a bunch of spike drivers, ballast regulators, tie cranes, tampers, and the like in there as well--methinks rail museums/preservation outfits with track should pay more attention to getting THOSE things cheaply than yet another caboose that doesn't even appear top have wheels......

Post subject: Re: Caboose bodies and boxcar at auction 1-12-2012
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:08 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
There's a bunch of spike drivers, ballast regulators, tie cranes, tampers, and the like in there as well--methinks rail museums/preservation outfits with track should pay more attention to getting THOSE things cheaply than yet another caboose that doesn't even appear top have wheels......

He shoots, he scores.

Don't forget indoor storage for that MoW equipment. It doesn't weather well at all. Hell the weather tears it up at WRM and as I said elsewhere, dry-sun-on-metal is the least scary weather damage. (though dry-sun-on-hydraulic-hose is pretty nasty.)