It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help searching for MLW FPA/B-2/4s
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:39 pm 

I was under the impression that Grand Canyon was looking to unload their in favor of the F40s - are they keeping them or are they unofficially for sale?

CD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:33 pm 

JohnC wrote:
Carroll Cameron wrote:
John and others.

This is an update to my 2 posts of Dec 27/11 on the GC units.

I left 6762 off the tech notes and that is at the bottom of my post.

Here is the current status of the Grand Canyon FPA/Bs

6762 and 6768 are parts engines
6793 and 6860 are active.
6773, 6776, and 6871 are currently stored serviceable.
6793, 6760, 6773, 6776, & 6771 have been converted to freight gearing and
their steam generators have been removed.

--------
6762 Tech notes

6762 1958 MLW FPA-4 MPA-18a 12V-251B 1800hp 62:21 92
1 Vapor-OK 4625 Ex-CN 6762. Retired by 1989.

Sorry for the mix-up
Carroll

I would like to confirm a couple of things....
6793 is listed as both active and having freight gearing. Is this correct?
Are all of these X-VIA and CN?
Are all of these on the current roster?
It appears that they(Grand Canyon) have quite a few units.

From information I received last week;

Yes 6793 is both active and freight geared.
Yes, all are ex CN/VIA.
Yes, all are on the roster.
There are 7 units total. 2 for parts, 3 stored serviceable, 2 on active duty.

And yet more corrections. On the line listing the units converted to freight gearing and
their steam generators being removed;
6760 should read 6860.
6771 should read 6871

(just too many numbers)
Carroll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 am 

Few more notes:

6771 purchased from VIA by Sheridan Rail - later became WM #305, then was sold to Cuyahoga Valley. Besides the Napa Valley units, this was one of the first ones to come south of the border.

6780 purchased from VIA by Sheridan Rail - later became B&O #800 (still on the Western Maryland Scenic RR), then was sold to Cuyahoga Valley.

6793 purchased from VIA by Ray Kammer - later became WM #306, then leased to Potomac Eagle as #6793, then sold to Grand Canyon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:46 pm 

Ray wrote:
Few more notes:

6771 purchased from VIA by Sheridan Rail - later became WM #305, then was sold to Cuyahoga Valley. Besides the Napa Valley units, this was one of the first ones to come south of the border.

6780 purchased from VIA by Sheridan Rail - later became B&O #800 (still on the Western Maryland Scenic RR), then was sold to Cuyahoga Valley.

6793 purchased from VIA by Ray Kammer - later became WM #306, then leased to Potomac Eagle as #6793, then sold to Grand Canyon.

Thank you Ray. That fills in some gaps for me.

------------
Maybe everyone knows about this but here it is anyway. I came across a Facebook page for MLW FPA-4s. The oldest post I see is Sept 4/2010. Here is the addy for those interested.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MLW-FPA4/ ... 471?ref=nf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:56 pm 

Carroll, when will we have the opportunity to see the fruits of your labors?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:28 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Carroll, when will we have the opportunity to see the fruits of your labors?

That's a very good question Richard. I often ask my self that. I have finally come to the point to stop searching (it isn't easy to stop either. Searching is addictive!). One of my main problems is I have been trying to decide how I want the website to look and function. I don't want a photo gallery type. I want to use an interactive map as my main source of navigation. I've been searching for a java script that will fit the bill and have several favourites. I've tried out using Google maps as the interaction is the style I want i.e. markers, but, it just doesn't do all I want. The problem with using a map base other then Google is they are all copyrighted

So, I guess I'm saying I don't know when I'll have a site up and running. Not searching all the time will free up a lot of hours. First step is to make some sense out of this conglomeration of info I have. Just deciding on the format of the site will be a big step in deciding how the info will be presented.

So, I guess the fun part is over and now the work begins. I'm still going to post if I have questions or if I find any new information or can answer a question.

Carroll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:18 pm 

Carroll Cameron wrote:
Ray wrote:
Few more notes:

Thank you Ray. That fills in some gaps for me.

------------
Maybe everyone knows about this but here it is anyway. I came across a Facebook page for MLW FPA-4s. The oldest post I see is Sept 4/2010. Here is the addy for those interested.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MLW-FPA4/ ... 471?ref=nf

Carroll;

Post a few of my photos of the above mentioned units during their stay at the WMSRR on the Facebook page you provided a link for.

Tim W.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:01 pm 

Tim

Thank you. Very informative. I am surprised they ran them in their VIA colours at the start. 71 cuts quite a striking figure in shiny black doesn't she? Your wife works for WMSR?

Just curious as to why the number board change on 6780.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:48 pm 

I worked for WMSRR during that period.

My wife freehand painted the lettering and fireballs on the WM units and tried her best at freehanding the capital dome on the 800.... I have to add that she was pregnant with our 2 second son during the whole lettering / painting timeframe.

Tim W.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:52 pm 

Carroll Cameron wrote:
Tim

Thank you. Very informative. I am surprised they ran them in their VIA colours at the start. 71 cuts quite a striking figure in shiny black doesn't she? Your wife works for WMSR?

If I remember correctly, I believe I broke the left side number board the night before and Gray decided to use one of the 6771 boards in it's place.

My wife was already painting new number boards that weekend for the 6780 to become the 800.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:52 pm 

YeOldeEnjine wrote:
Carroll Cameron wrote:
Tim

If I remember correctly, I believe I broke the left side number board the night before and Gray decided to use one of the 6771 boards in it's place.

My wife was already painting new number boards that weekend for the 6780 to become the 800.

OK then, I'm catching on, finally. I didn't know you were associated with the WMSR. That must be very exciting and rewarding. You are a lucky guy. I'd love to be able to work on one of them and better yet, get a cab ride but that won't happen. I'm too far away from all of them.

Luckily for me I was able to get up close and personal with them in Nova Scotia and NB in the 70s-80. Back then you could go in any rail yard and photograph and the people working there would talk to you and tell you where this engine is now and when there's a train coming in.

I'll post a couple here shortly.
Carroll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:03 pm 

[/quote]
I didn't know you were associated with the WMSR.......

Carroll[/quote]

It was a long time ago........ haven't been around the WMSR since the Alco's left. I miss working on the locomotives. Maybe one of these days I'll get back "under the hood" of one.

Tim W.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:12 pm 

Good Evening everyone.

On one of my other Railroad groups it was posted that NAPA had 2 diesels that were being converted. The poster stated that #70 has been altered to run diesel/CNG.

I checked the site but couldn't find anything about it. I just want to check to see just in case this happened recently like the past 3 weeks. I'm thinking that if it did it would have appeared that day or the day after.

More then likely, he read my post on here where I placed the wrong information on #70 and was corrected on it by another poster and he didn't read on.

Carroll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:25 pm 

Napa Valley has one unit converted to run on LNG, unit #73. It is powered by a converted EMD 12-645, and can be seen here.
I don't know where all these reports of #70 being converted are coming from, my guess is somebody got the number wrong once and it just keeps getting repeated.

CD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:04 pm 

CREEPING DEATH wrote:
Napa Valley has one unit converted to run on LNG, unit #73. It is powered by a converted EMD 12-645, and can be seen here.
I don't know where all these reports of #70 being converted are coming from, my guess is somebody got the number wrong once and it just keeps getting repeated.

CD

Bingo!!

As I noted in my post above CD, I believe he got it from one of my posts here where I had inadvertently attributed the conversion to #70 which, was picked up on and corrected by another member. He just didn't follow through on the thread that's all. But anyway, I just wanted make sure that there wasn't a new development before I responded to the other group.
Carroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next