It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sheriff's office seeking two in train horn thefts | VIDEO
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:56 pm 

The Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office is seeking two men who reportedly stole the horns off two Evansville Western Railway trains last week. The thieves were caught on video.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2013/o ... rn-thefts/

In Rhode Island, it is illegal to operate a passenger car between a locomotive and a load of dirt.

Post subject: Re: Sheriff's office seeking two in train horn thefts | VIDE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 am 

Finally a clear video of thieves in action. "S" is for "stupid", boys and girls!
I'll bet it leads to a trove of other stolen railroad items, too.
"D" is for "dead in the water"!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:38 am 

Awesome video. Hopefully somebody will recognize these guys and turn them in!

I have to wonder if the police bothered dusting for prints around the ladder, etc, as the thieves weren't wearing gloves. Depending on how dirty/ greasy the surfaces are, of course, but they might get something off the handrails and grab irons.

Steve Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:58 am 

I've learned something else about locomotive "dash" cameras I didn't already know. In addition to the fact that they work when a locomotive is trailing, and not just leading (see the awesome video from several years ago of a tornado knocking over a train in motion), they also apparently continue to record even if the engine consist has been sitting idle for an extended period of time, which I was under the impression was not the case. I guess the unit has to be totally shut down and the knife switch pulled to be safely inactive.

Good luck tracking them down. The thought occurs to me that if this technology had existed say, 60 years ago, that some of the more respected "collectors" in the hobby back then might have shown up on footage like this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:45 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Quote:
The thought occurs to me that if this technology had existed say, 60 years ago, that some of the more respected "collectors" in the hobby back then might have shown up on footage like this.

No. The "standard" technique with these collectors was either a working relationship with the railroad (and its scrapping lines), or a box of cigars or bottle of booze to the scrap yard foreman with a request for "THAT whistle/plate!" One of the largest collections of steam whistles was amassed by the head of the company that scrapped hundreds of Southern cotton compresses and sawmills, and I've seen photos of him personally climbing the stacks or chimneys to winch down the whistles in question. There was a well-known "dealer" of air horns who worked directly as a broker for a large "locomotive recycler" in the South as well.

Now, no doubt for every whistle/horn/plate acquired through legitimate or friendly means, another has been stolen at some point. Railroad employees themselves have supposedly been prosecuted for theft of plates and other ephemera, and I've even seen an odd bit or two of the East Broad Top that was probably not sold by the railroad in the 1950s show up at auction over the decades.

Ironically, I managed to goad an associate into "returning" a piece we "liberated" from PRR GG1 4873 in the scrap lines to its new owner once I had shown him it had been preserved in New Jersey, only to see the 4873 eventually scrapped in 1992!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:14 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Quote:
The thought occurs to me that if this technology had existed say, 60 years ago, that some of the more respected "collectors" in the hobby back then might have shown up on footage like this.

No. The "standard" technique with these collectors was either a working relationship with the railroad (and its scrapping lines), or a box of cigars or bottle of booze to the scrap yard foreman with a request for "THAT whistle/plate!" One of the largest collections of steam whistles was amassed by the head of the company that scrapped hundreds of Southern cotton compresses and sawmills, and I've seen photos of him personally climbing the stacks or chimneys to winch down the whistles in question. There was a well-known "dealer" of air horns who worked directly as a broker for a large "locomotive recycler" in the South as well.

Now, no doubt for every whistle/horn/plate acquired through legitimate or friendly means, another has been stolen at some point. Railroad employees themselves have supposedly been prosecuted for theft of plates and other ephemera, and I've even seen an odd bit or two of the East Broad Top that was probably not sold by the railroad in the 1950s show up at auction over the decades.

Ironically, I managed to goad an associate into "returning" a piece we "liberated" from PRR GG1 4873 in the scrap lines to its new owner once I had shown him it had been preserved in New Jersey, only to see the 4873 eventually scrapped in 1992!

I have personal experience in knowing some "old head" collectors who got their start in the "Midnight Railway Surplus" business. No names will be compromised.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:02 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
I have personal experience in knowing some "old head" collectors who got their start in the "Midnight Railway Surplus" business. No names will be compromised.
Was it RALF? LOL

Post subject: Sheriff's office APPREHENDS two in train horn thefts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:28 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Update:

http://www.14news.com/story/23883077/vc ... tive-horns

The two teenaged criminals apparently have a history of vocal (some say obnoxious) presence on certain online forums.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:54 pm 

Well, I'm extremely happy that the two culprits were apprehended. I am not so happy that they are reported as "train enthusiasts". They have done more damage to those of us who also consider ourselves as enthusiasts, than just the theft of those horns.

Les