It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: steam engines dumped in river for flood protection
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:12 pm 

James,

Thanks for posting that list. So, as I understand it, those are abandoned, but not sunk, buried, or lost.

Here is one that is lost, sunk, buried, and abandoned:

0-4-0T narrow gage (probably 3 ft.) owned by private contractor for excavating work. Lost in Shady Oak Lake approx. one mile west of Hopkins, MN. Approx. 1913.

The locomotive was being used for line relocation project for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul RR to move the mainline from crossing near the center of the lake to crossing nearer to the south shore. The contractor was building a new fill across the lake by filling a temporary trestle that he had built for making the fill. The locomotive was left parked on the trestle overnight, and the trestle under the locomotive gave way from the stationary weight some time during the night. The locomotive dropped into the freshly placed saturated fill. Apparently it was deemed to not be worth the cost of recovery, so it was left where it lay, and was buried in the progressing fill.

Today, the railroad there is still in use as the Twin Cities & Western RR. There is a small trestle bridging a short break in that fill near its east end. I did a magnetometer survey indicating the probability of the locomotive lying about 80 ft. west of that trestle.

The Hopkins Historical Society has some photos of the line relocation project including the temporary trestle, a steam shovel, dump cars, and another locomotive presumably similar, if not identical to the one lost.

Here is a link to a page with six photographs at the Minnesota Historical Society:

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresou ... N=31342787

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 pm 

[quote="whodomDave, I corresponded with the author of the book "Logging Roads of SC" (Tom Fetters) shortly after the book came out, and I'm pretty sure they're NOT the same engine. One Shay has been photographed (photos are on one of the Shay sites) and is sitting upright. Mr. Fetters had either seen or corresponded with someone who'd seen the other Shay and said it is laying on its side at the edge of the water on a river in the area.

Just another one of those things that I need to find the time to check out some weekend...[/quote]

Rivers....well, the Black, Wateree, Congaree, Pocotaligo and Lynches Rivers run through Sumter County. Of course, Lake Marion was made by damming and flooding, could now be a sunken specimen. Plenty of real estate to explore, wet and dry.

The Shay I have been told about was equipped with pole wheels and was upright - mostly. Nice if there is another out there.

Other mysterious Carolina sightings are on Slaty Switchback on Graybeard Mountain, and somewhere in the woods near Stovall,NC. There was a logging railroad that ran from Stovall, and you can almost just barely sort of discern what might have been its grade near an old farmhouse adjacent to the railroad running north out of Oxford. There's a personal history on file in the Oxford library that mentions it.....if anybody wants to try to find it.

No clue about Graybeard Mountain, just suburban legend.

dave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:30 pm 

Also from my native Canada the lakes of British Columbia are said to contain both a Canadian National and a Canadian Pacific 2-8-0 both lost in accidents

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:00 am 

I still think the CPR 2-8-0 would make a good series for Discovery Channel. SOmebody with real savvy on television production should rewrite the proposal I made, and try to sell it. Problem is, it run about six episodes, and has no real potantial for a second season, even if it gets accepted.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:45 am 

Afboone wrote:
James, do you have this one?
http://www.brian894x4.com/RingofFire.html

Yep; on the sunk list.

Quote:
If you include abandoned mining locomotives, there is one in a flooded upper MidWest iron ore mine that has been featured in published photographs by cave divers.

Also on the sunk list; someone was kind enough to let me include a picture of it.

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:51 am 

santafeboy wrote:
Also from my native Canada the lakes of British Columbia are said to contain both a Canadian National and a Canadian Pacific 2-8-0 both lost in accidents

Both are also on the sunk list.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:55 am 

Thanks, Rob; I will add it for a future update.

I haven't sold any copies of the databases in about a year; my concept must also be outdated as well. The format of the images does not lend themselves to being ported to another platform; including web based; so the project is basically on hold now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:06 am 

Just one of several examples in New Zealand, seems I remember another in Australia....

http://www.whitebusfamily.co.nz/k88_restoration.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:55 pm 

To get back to the original thread about the possible PRR engines in the Allegheny River:

I drove over to the location Sunday afternoon. There was no evidence of any tender frames or other locomotive parts visible, although the water was a little high. The old PRR grade is visible and is actually east of the road, which is right next to the river. The road is supported by a nice stone embankment which I will guess was built after the 1936 flood. So, anything that was dumped in was either pulled pretty far off the mainline grade, or underneath the reconstructed road. There is a pipeline and a telephone line crossing of the river at that same spot, so perhaps the 'frames' visible on the Google image are connected to those installations in some way.

That said, there are two large sandbars jutting out into the river there, and none farther downstream or on the other side...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 pm 

probably will have to find a time when the weather is dryer in the area with the river lower.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 am 

The Google Earth photo definitely shows frames of some kind in the river. I think it's certain, there are remains of something. The available documents from either PRR or PRRT&HS report a couple of rock filled hoppers in the drink. When the water level recedes, somebody with appropriate skills will be able to decide if they are hoppers or tenders.
I would suggest we watch this space for further announcements.