It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: May 2014 Progress of Frisco Mike #1352
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:18 pm 

On May 2014 American Steam Railroad volunteers once again advanced the cause of making Frisco Mike 1352 closer to coming home to Ohio. All bearing surfaces were lubed, greased and checked out. This allowed 1352 after 17 years of being hidden away to see the light of day on Friday May 30th, 2014. The locomotive walked out of the engine house very easy and quietly as if to say I'm glad to be in the sun again.

The steam team "do it crew" along with our volunteer photographer were able to capture 1352 and its tender being moved up to the gate for preparation of the lift and move phase. 1352 is ready and waiting for the donations to come in to help send her home to Ohio. You can become a supporter of this cause by using the donation link below. All proceeds at this time will fund the move via railroad flat car to Cleveland Ohio.

As one can see a lot of progress has been made from the post here to the new photos being shown today.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36684&p=215938&hilit=1352#p215938

Please consider making a tax deductible donation toward the 100K needed to move her via railroad flat car at the link below. She is a worth while project and one that would bring another Frisco locomotive back to operating condition.

Please use this link below to make your tax deductible donation.

http://www.americansteamrailroad.org/on ... ation.aspx

Best Regards

Steven Harvey
President
American Steam Railroad
Frisco Mike #1352

Attachments:
1352-MayCrew-2014.jpg
1352-MayCrew-2014.jpg [ 59 KiB | Viewed 11658 times ]
1352-MayCrew-1.jpg
1352-MayCrew-1.jpg [ 334.08 KiB | Viewed 11658 times ]
1352-May2014.jpg
1352-May2014.jpg [ 155.36 KiB | Viewed 11658 times ]

http://www.americansteamrailroad.org
http://www.fireup2100.org

Last edited by nkpsteam779 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: May 2014 Progress of Frisco Mike #1352
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:06 pm 

I have to ask, where was this engine sitting before you showed up? Looks like it was tucked into someone's out building in the middle of nowhere!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:23 pm 

This locomotive was tucked into a small engine house located in Central Illinois. It arrived there in 1997 by another group who wanted to do a rebuild on her. Since that time frame we have purchased the locomotive in 2010 and found a restoration home in B&O roundhouse in Cleveland Ohio by 2012. She'll be in stall number #2 and its the same location as 4070. So the next step is to move her to Ohio where the full restoration can begin.

Thanks for your interest.

Steven Harvey
President
American Steam Railroad
Frisco Mike #1352

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:39 pm 

So here is perhaps a stupid question but something I don't quite understand.

If you're group already has an engine I can understand wanting to restore it.

If you have a railroad and want an engine I can understand finding one to restore.

In this situation, why search out and find an engine and bring it back to Ohio to potentially restore when there was already an engine in 4070 literally in the same building? Wouldn't it have made sense instead of raising $100k to move 1352 across the country to raise $100k to get 4070 running again? I understand you're a different group than the Midwest guys but I feel like the end result of this may be instead of 1 mike sitting in the roundhouse waiting to be restored there will be 2 mikes sitting in the roundhouse waiting to be restored. And I'm not really sure what the end goal is aside from "get 1352 running".

I just kind of feel like this may be spreading restoration dollars thin, especially when there are other engines, already owned by railroads, that could be restored. Especially if those engines already have a place to run.

Is it a matter of restoring steam engines or a matter of restoring MY steam engine?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:38 pm 

So let me see if I can answer your question.

GTW 4070 is owned by the Midwest Railway Preservation Society and 1352 is owned by American Steam Railroad so both groups are separate from each other.

One can equate this as the Daylight 4449 and SP&S 700 sharing the same building but being run by different people.

Where as American Steam Railroad owns 1352 and Midwest owns 4070. Since there is no buildings to be had in the Columbus, Ohio market for restoration economy of scale makes the best sense to use the roundhouse in Cleveland for both.

One also has to look at the bigger picture too. With two Mikado Locomotives running out of the same roundhouse when each Mikado is finished can be used to back each other up if failure were to occurr. The same process is being done today with 700 and 4449.

If you look at the location of where the roundhouse is located it’s next door to the CVSR and this is where 4070 originally ran before it was a national park. 765 and 1293 and many others have run there and currently I do not see any reason why both 4070 and 1352 could not run there too.

I am how ever puzzled what railroad company currently today owns a steam locomotive? Is the reference to the J 611 that is still owned by the VMT which is being restored through large corporate and private donations?

The current setup of 99% of the mainline locomotives is run by various non-profit organizations. All of your famous locomotives running today run on class one mainlines and depend on the efforts of NS, UP and BNSF to make there programs a success but lately 700 has found success running on the Portland Railroad if I have the name correct.

Unless the tide changes in the next few years I do not see any reason why 1352 and 4070 could not run in the national park or double head. One could possibly approach the wheeling if they are open to allowing them to run on there rails.

Right now this is not the case of "restore my locomotive" our group was formed with the purpose to keep the iron horse running. Most of us in the group are the age of 35 to 45 which put us the next generation of steam people.

Our group would still be proceeding with this project even if 1352 was not going to be located in Cleveland, Ohio. Preservation needs to be done if we want to continue to see these locomotives run.

I would finally point that C&O 1309 is going via railroad flat car and mostly likely will have the same 100K or if not more moving expense. So steam locomotives will always be expensive to maintain, run and move to the nearest restoration facility.

I would point out one last item about 1352. If was not for our group in 2008 getting a hold of the railroad she is sitting on 1352 would have been cut up the next following week in March of 2008. So all of us consider this a worthy cause in locomotive preservation and it’s really up to you if you want to make a donation to the cause.

Best Regards,

Steven Harvey
President
American Steam Railroad
Frisco Mike #1352

Last edited by nkpsteam779 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:25 pm 

The locomotive could very well run on the CVSR. It will fit. Won't overload their rails. Might pull a train or two but can only do so with their permission and blessing. Has anybody in your group approached them about doing so? It's been said a million times, have a place to run or you'll end up all dressed up and nowhere to go. I'm not trying to beat up on your group because you have made some large accomplishments but before the donations come rolling in, people are going to want to know what their dollars are going toward.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:29 pm 

ns2110 wrote:
It's been said a million times, have a place to run or you'll end up all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Good point. Just ask anyone associated with Frisco 1522. It was so sad to see her in 2002, sitting cold and perfectly capable of steaming, but the gordian knot couldn't be cut to set her free onto the rails...
I often wonder how many projects get started for getting a locomotive running then stop when the people doing the work suddenly realize there's no place to run her. Of all the locomotive projects out there today, I only donate to those with a strong plan in place for operation on a specific line.
Not beating up the 1352 people here, just pointing out what should be obvious to all, yet isn't...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:33 pm 

Regarding the connection to CVSR I don't know if that track could be used. The track looks like it goes all the way through, but I don't think it has been used much, if at all since the 4070 ran. I have lived less than 10 minutes from the tracks, and passed them quite a bit for 13 years and can't recall seeing any thing run there. I helped on the train in the early 80's and from what I can recall the track wasn't very good then. Plus, I think a business now owns the property where the old loading place was and it looks like the track is kind of buried there as they drive over it a lot, and I would assume they would have a say whether a locomotive runs through their property.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:40 pm 

Thank you for addressing my concerns, Steven. It is appreciated.

When mentioning a railroad owning a steam locomotive I did not mean Norfolk Southern. I was speaking more generally but if looking for specifics you could look to the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway or Lorain & West Virginia Railway, both here in Ohio, that have both a steam locomotive and have a place to run it already. It seems like a lot of the plan hinges on running at CVSR.

I also appreciate your optimism when speaking of double heading 1352 and 4070 "unless the tide changes in the next few years". I'm sure there's a lot of work getting to that point and I wish you and your organization good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm 

So let's go down this thought process. Let's say I call the CVSR tomorrow. Which by the way there track is open all the way as CVSR has been to the roundhouse to pick up passenger cars.

Now I ask I would like you to support us in running 1352. The first question is when would you like to run her? Well I would like to do it 3 to 4 years from now. The person on the other side would say great! Give us a call a when your closer to your goal of running as we'll need to do inspections and get your folks through our safety class.

Thanks for calling. I hang up and they hang up. Now you might have planted a seed but in reality are they really going to care at this point. Your 3 to 4 years away from being there.

Now you could go and ask them for letter of support. The letter of support would say we like the idea support them in there effort but maybe will allow them to run when it's closer.

Makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy but then 2 years later the pro person who wrote the letter retires and you have to start all over again. Running these things is built on the current relationship of the current management. So if they like you now and you proved you don't mess up there railway you continue to run. So yes its good to plant the seed but 2 or 3 years away will be the better choice to start your negotiations with them when you have a product you can say will be done in X time.

I think we forget that a nickel plate Berk sat ready to go for a little while before they found there first run in North Judson Indiana and ferry move over NS. I can name a few more who have been sitting due to mainline congestion that they couldn't run but ready to go.

Asking where it's going to run seems like a chicken before the egg. If the locomotive is not in Ohio then how can our group be out selling it to the railroads as an item they want to support? Any smart business man is going to ask can I see it.

So before you get all hot and bothered by where is it going to run how about getting it to Ohio first. We'll have 3 to 5 years to press the flesh, make friends and show railroad executives during the rebuild to ask them when they see it in person the ultimate question. Can we run this on your rails? This has already been asked and each time the answer has been what I described above.

Thanks for asking about 1352
Railroading since 1999

Steven Harvey
President
American Steam Railroad
Frisco Mike #1352

Last edited by nkpsteam779 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:52 pm 

One question/statement. Who owns the track between the CVSR and the roundhouse? Or between the roundhouse and the Wheeling? Not trackage rights over it but actually owns the property? CSX. They are very friendly to steam correct? Could this end up another case of all dressed up and no place to go?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:51 am 

CSX is the local owner of the Clark Ave yard. There is 2.3 miles if track between CVSR and the roundhouse of which Midwest owns the trackage rights to the interchange. As I stated before this is a case of working with local management has made it easy to get to the interchange at this time. This does not mean if someone changes there mind we get locked out. Part of the long standing agreement makes way for steam and diesel to get to the interchange.

Also while the 500 ft of track is not there NS is right across the street along with the steel mill railroad. So access can be had via other means. Just have to put the track back at the roundhouse property to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:08 pm 

I guess my question regarding restoring #1352 to operation is...why?

Sorry but "because we want to" or "because we can" are not strong enough reasons.
Preserve it? Absolutely.
Restore it to operation.....

643, 2700, 3001, 2100 kind of, 2789 and I am sure there are others, are enough of an example.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:07 pm 

BILL -

You included 2789 above. Although HVRM does have a set of brand new flues for the Kanawha on hand, there has never been a formal program started to restore her to active operation. Someday perhaps, but not yet.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:23 pm 

Les,

Back in the mid-1980s there was a movement to restore the engine to operation when it was still in Peru, IN complete with "Steamin' up 2789" bumper stickers and a newsletter stating such and that the engine would run within a year or two, yada yada and asking for help both of the physical and monetary kind. Likewise with #2700.

Not intending to bash at all. Just my hate seeing yet another large mainline engine disassembled and forgotten.

It's wonderful to see #2789 safe and preserved by a caring bunch