It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few old midwestern steam pics
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:46 am 

Well, I was digging through the box of vintage steam photos (late 1940's) last night. A few scans below.

First an Illinois Terminal Mogul, followed by three classes of Milwaukee Rd steam.

Illinois Terminal #6. (Baldwin, 1910.)
"The #6 lasted until July 1948," according to steamlocomotive.com.

What a sweetheart.

Next up: Three classes of Milwaukee Road steam (oldest first).

#1073 (working mid-train.)

Quote from steamlocomotive.com:
"The balance of the basic design was such that these engines shone in passenger service. Jim Scribbins (in Drury, 1993) comments these engines 'were among the best of the road's passenger power. They could run 90 mph when worked to the utmost, and the last of them outlived all the Hudsons.' And most saw steam out on the road, the last being retired in 1954."

What impressive drivers. Thankfully, some tall-drivered Rock Island Pacifics survive (#938 at IRM, and #886 in Peoria).

Two engines of this class were shrouded, and pulled Hiawatha's until retirement in 1950.

Post subject: Re: A few old midwestern steam pics
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:18 am 

Some nice pictures of good looking engines. Thanks for posting.

Glen Brewer
Railroad Glory Days

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:45 pm 

You're certainly welcome.

Interestingly, I have about a dozen different views of the 167 above taken on that day. I think the photographer must have been awed by that dead locomotive with its 6-1/2 foot tall drivers to spend that much film on it. Would've been wonderful if one of these engines had been saved.

Last edited by FLO on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:33 pm 

Is the shot of #167 taken at Marquette, IA? She appears to be "dolled-up" with extra silver or white paint on the tender journal box lids, the running board and the driver centers. Makes me wonder why this might have been done. Any thoughts?

Don C.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:48 pm 

Sure do like those jumbo numberboard Milwaukee Road headlights, with or without the square casing around the headlight lens. Anybody got one for sale?

BTW, did anyone else notice the little strip of steel mounted on the smokebox of IT Mogul #6, apparently to hold the smokestack cap when it was swung up out of the way? I've never seen anything like that on any steamer. My guess is the slow speed that the 2-6-0 probably operated at, contributed to keeping that thin piece of metal in place. I would think that on a high speed steamer, the wind would have eventually bent the steel.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:09 am 

What caught my attention on IT Mogul #6 is the small, one-chamber whistle. I wonder what it sounded like? Would love to hear one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:40 am 

"What caught my attention on IT Mogul #6 is the small, one-chamber whistle. I wonder what it sounded like? Would love to hear one."--FLO

Like a pipe organ, the note of a whistle is a function of length and diameter and pressure. Most likely, this whistle would have sounded something like the one on the Eureka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Z0mMsN ... re=related

What stands out to my eyes on the Milwaukee 4-6-2s is that these appear to be relatively large, modern engines (about the size of a light USRA 4-6-2), but they have an inboard bearing trailing truck. I wonder why they had to wait so long to go to an outboard bearing design; that type allowed a little more frame and ashpan width, supposedly had more stability, and would have had the journal boxes and other parts outside for easier maintenance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:43 pm 

Great stuff Did the Milwaukee have the largest headlight number boards of any railroad? Please post more of this stuff