It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L&RP # 45, Dean Of Presrvation: John Hoxland White Jr.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 am 

The article; "Dean Of Presrvation; John Hoxland White Jr." starts on page 22.

What are your opinions of his postions stated in the article.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

Post subject: Re: L&RP # 45, Dean Of Presrvation: John Hoxland White Jr.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 pm 

Huh?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:30 pm 

Ummmmmm.........just when was this issue published? I donated all my old L&RP Magazines to a good friend's group who wanted to archive them. I'd guess not many of us have them close by any more.

Mr White is to the best of my knowledge still active and among us, in case you want to ask him about anything.

Maybe there's a particular thing you want to ask us about on this board that you can explain in a way other than by citing an obsolete publication.

dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:01 pm 

I must have that issue somewhere, but it would take days to find and that probably won't be a high priority. This many years after L&RP stopped publishing, I'd imagine most of us are in the same boat. Many good preservationists, particularly the younger guys will never have seen the magazine.

Perhaps you could give a little context, and quote the opinions you're asking about?

Steve Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:19 pm 

In was the Jan-Feb 1994 issue.

I reread that article yesterday and it was so contemporary that is surprise me to see what he had said 18 years ago. I tried to find any mention of his name or the article on this site, and every other, but there was no mention of it anywhere. That was somewhat surprising. I immediately wondered what you all thought about it, some of you being experts in the field of historic rail equipment, and having vast experience and knowledge.

I doubt the internet had much rail fan traffic in 1995 and the article was probably never discussed in a public forum of (somewhat) mass participation such as this one.

If I can get permission, for those that don't have access to it, later in the week I'll try to OCR or scan and post it.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.