It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anecdote of the Day: Strasburg RR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:55 pm 

I have had my share of pizza while firing a steam locomotive.

Last edited by Baldwin feeder on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:37 pm 

Quote:
It's always great fun to order pizza, delivered to a certain locomotive at a certain location and a certain time... the reaction of the guy answering the phone can be priceless!

I've had to do the opposite.
I once had a party of four get drunk/trashed on our steam powered dinner train. They were already drunk when boarding, and we almost didn't let them board. (I wish we hadn't). Enroute, they got way too rowdy, and we had to set them off. I was engineer, and called our depot via radio and had them call the state police to have enough cruisers to pick up four people at a road crossing ahead of the train.
Sure enough, when we approached the crossing, there were two state cruisers with their lights on on both sides of the tracks with traffic stopped. We pulled up to spot a vestibule on the crossing, and unloaded our "problem".
If you want to be "cuffed and stuffed" in grand fashion in front of an audience, that is a way to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:38 pm 

Now THAT is cool!

Have had deliverymen perplexed when told to deliver to "Water St and the railroad crossing, look for the train", and they still can't find/see the damn thing!

Yours in pizza,

Howard P.
Sicilian Corner, NY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:05 pm 

Mark Jordan wrote:
I've had to do the opposite.
I once had a party of four get drunk/trashed on our steam powered dinner train. They were already drunk when boarding, and we almost didn't let them board. (I wish we hadn't). Enroute, they got way too rowdy, and we had to set them off. I was engineer, and called our depot via radio and had them call the state police to have enough cruisers to pick up four people at a road crossing ahead of the train.
Sure enough, when we approached the crossing, there were two state cruisers with their lights on on both sides of the tracks with traffic stopped. We pulled up to spot a vestibule on the crossing, and unloaded our "problem".
If you want to be "cuffed and stuffed" in grand fashion in front of an audience, that is a way to do it.

I wonder how often this happens. In May I was staying at LaPosada and Amtrak spent an abnormally long time during its station stop. Later we found out it was a drunk passenger causing problems and they police had to come and take them away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:56 pm 

YeOldeEnjine wrote:
Try calling for a pizza delivery giving a Mile Marker along the interstate as the delivery address...
Done it a few times while railfanning in someone else's ride. There's nothing worse than starving while chasing trains and the guy with the keys would rather go hungry than miss another train.
It's not RR-related but I had some pizzas delivered to a position a tank was dug in on an Army post. I was supporting a tactical exercise and we were well away from our chow line with no way to get back before the food would be gone. With none of us happy at the idea of eating cold MREs again, I called on my Army-issued cell for pizzas from my credit card for myself, my people and the tank crew nearby providing security for us. Got them cheap from a local delivery place. That took a few minutes to convince them it wasn't bogus as well. Even found someone familiar with the training area to deliver them to. It only cost me about $40 if memory serves and was worth ten times that amount at the time. The funny thing was the delivery driver was a teenager who was a big fan of the military but too young to join at the time. We tipped him with the MREs we didn't want to eat! He was happy as a clam when we threw a dozen or so MREs in the back of his car. He drove off and the tank commander snickered, "sucker" as we dove onto the pizzas. Nobody said a word afterward so I never got in trouble for that...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:34 am 

OT: but my other hobby, astronomy, have led to some interesting pizza delivery locations. Observatories, or usually empty fields out in the dark country side now nocturnally populated with amateur astronomers and telescopes. "Third dirt road entrance in the tree line, on the left, past the intersection of x and y streets and please turn off your car lights as you make the turn into the field if you want a good tip and want to see Saturn through a telescope."

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:23 am 

Speaking of Amtrak trackside meal delivery, I once rode the California Zephyr to Chicago beginning in Portland Oregon on the (now gone) Pioneer which was hooked on to the end of the Zephyr in Denver.

When our train met the Zephyr in Denver, the diner was already out of service. I had purchased a sleeper so my meals were "free". We left Denver in the evening and I awoke the next morning in Hastings, NE. By lunchtime we arrived in Ottumwa, Iowa where the crew had placed a box lunch order with a local grocery store ("HyVee"?).

This store was evidently so experienced in this order that at the station they had the stacks of boxed lunches spotted at the car doors when the train stopped! The crew stepped off the train, loaded the lunches and passengers, and off we went.

A lot of bad order diners in those days. . .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:59 pm 

Emmo213 wrote:
I wonder how often this happens. In May I was staying at LaPosada and Amtrak spent an abnormally long time during its station stop. Later we found out it was a drunk passenger causing problems and they police had to come and take them away.

It happens on Amtrak often enough that conductors (at least in the NEC) know the procedure by heart, and often have their preferred places to put off unruly passengers. I was told by a couple of conductors years ago that if they really wanted to get back at a troublesome passenger, they would make sure to put them off in Trenton, NJ. It seems that the city police there have an especially bad reputation for brutality, and would start abusing ejected passengers before they were off the platform.