It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heisler To Be Auctioned In Scotia, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:55 pm 

Just heard about this from that other list:

http://scotiacsd.com/sites/townofscotia ... ipment.pdf

I don't know anything about this engine or the circumstances of its disposition.

Post subject: Re: Heisler To Be Auctioned In Scotia, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 pm 

The Heisler is the only surviving locomotive from the Mt. Tamalpias & Muir Woods Ry., built to haul tourists on the "Crookedest Railway in the World "

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:23 pm 

That is an absolutely ADORABLE little 36 ton standard gauge engine. It would be right in it's element on any short tourist line!

Maybe I'll go start a GoFundMe........

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:07 pm 

If we don't get the 503, maybe we can buy this one. Oh Jason...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:16 am 

As seen on steamlocomotive.info

Attachments:
File comment: From steamlocomotive.info as shown
9.jpg
9.jpg [ 100.18 KiB | Viewed 10143 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:45 am 

Thick coat of gloss black paint beats a thick coat of rust any day

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:58 am 

After leaving the MT&MW, the Heisler bounced around to a couple Northern California loggers. Pacific Lumber Company got it when they bought out the Dolbeer & Carson Lumber Company, and though it rarely if ever actually worked for PALCo they selected it for display in front of the Scotia museum. While the Heisler is getting the bulk of the attention, it is being sold as a single lot together with two steam donkeys (one a Washington 12x17 Duplex Flyer and a smaller model); two tanks; and eight other logging artifacts. The buyer will have 180 days to remove the pieces , then restore the grounds to pre-removal condition. The bid package also states the Washington skidder is to be the second to last item removed and the Heisler the last. As to why it is being removed, I found the following in the minutes of the Scotia Community Service District board meeting held on 21 September 2017:

"2. Old Business –

a. Heisler Engine #9 and associated equipment: Options Discussion

General Manager Steve Tyler and SHN Engineer Gregory Hufford introduced costs associated with retaining the logging equipment in the Museum park. Because of presence of asbestos and lead paint, the District would need to remediate the equipment (incurring both up-front and annual remediation costs) and fence it off permanently; or consider putting the equipment up for a sealed-bid auction. Complete remediation would potentially cost upwards of $100,000.00, an unforeseen amount that the District has not budgeted for at this time. The Friends of Mt. Tamalpais have expressed interest previously in the equipment, and reminded the Board of their interest at this meeting. Humboldt Redwood Company has also recently expressed interest in the equipment for a historic logging exhibit of their own. G. Hufford suggested the possibility for HRC to pay for remediation and leave the equipment at its present location (costs to transport are expensive). The board requested assurance that any funds acquired from a sealed bid process would go directly back toward that Museum park area.

Motion: Motion to direct staff to take the historic logging equipment to a publicly noticed sealed bid
auction.

Motion: Walsh Second: McKnight
Motion Vote: Ayes -Bristol, McKnight, Newmaker, Walsh Opposed – 0 Absent - 0
Abstain - Pryor"

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:12 am 

I hope that the locomotive and other items find a new home(s).

The Pacific Lumber Company is an interesting company in its own right both while controlled by the Murphy family and after they and other stockholders were bought out by an arbitrager.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:09 am 

That is a lovely geared locomotive. I second that if the 503 doesn't work out that this locomotive would be a suitable replacement for preservation for restoration, however I would rather the 503 money be allocated to SAVE a steamer in poor condition which future looks bleak.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 am 

I fully agree with the 503 project and was only kidding about getting the Heisler instead. Plus it appears that there are two interested parties in the Heisler. Should the Gofundme campaign fail, I wouldn't mind throwing some money towards saving this locomotive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:39 am 

If there are interested parties with the capability to carry it out, the equipment is not endangered. The Heisler might do well at Roaring Camp, or Georgetown..... assuming the logging equipment goes to a more logging centered museum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:36 am 

I wonder if this means Scoitia is dumping their entire museum.

That Heisler and some donkeys have been gracing the lawn of that institution since at least the mid 60s. I think its a shame it simply wasn't donated to the fellows over at Samoa for their logging/railroad collection.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:12 pm 

Since this engine is standard gauge and Roaring Camp is 3-foot gauge, it would have to be regauged or used as a static display engine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:33 pm 

Pretty sure this would be a great addition to the collection at Roots of Motive Power, and in fact I'd be surprised if that's not who gets it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:19 pm 

Personally, I'd be happy to see the Friends of Mt. Tamalpais or the Humboldt Redwood Company get the locomotive and other equipment. The nice thing about this auction is the 6 month allowance for removing the items, giving time for the winning bidder to raise funds for the move.