It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SP 2248 in need of some attention?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:17 pm 

Howdy All,

This is my first post but it's something that I've been thinking about often over the past couple of years. As far as I can tell, 2248 is sitting in need of repair with no attempts to gather funding or expertise to repair her.

Now, I don't know anyone who currently works for the GVRR personally, so I'm purely speculating (which I know is dangerous, especially on this forum). However, if there is progress being made, I'd be glad to hear about it as I grew up riding behind that locomotive, and I think it's a priceless piece of railroad history that needs to be maintained.

I don't mean to make anyone mad, but it seems to me that the Grapevine operation isn't running as smoothly as it could be. I think it'd help to get some input from the folks on this forum who have had success with steam restoration and operations around the country.

Would it be possible to form a historical society in the future and make plans to return the locomotive to operation? Maybe those of us who live in the DFW area who are involved in the steam preservation community could discuss putting together some sort of group. I think the opening of the new museum in Frisco will stir up some public awareness, and maybe now is the right time to get some support from the general public.

I'm only 23, and I don't have much experience, just a season of operation with the locomotives at Six Flags Over Texas (I'm there for the railroad, the theme park part of the operation is not ideal). But I am eager to hear from anyone with any input, especially those of you in the DFW area who have worked on 2248 in the past.

Best regards,
Chaz

Last edited by Texas Chaz on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SP 2248 in need of some attention?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:10 pm 

Well go do it son, go do it. Restorations are usually done by the people who want to see it done. They are also the people who usually pay for it too (or find funding). If you want it done, then figure a way to get it done without drama.
Research it's recent history. Who had been taking care of it? Who actually owns it? You might want to start there. They might not hold the same ideals you do.
True effort will pay off. Trust your partners, and let their talents shine through. The best restoration effort is only as good as the people who are conducting it.

Brian Hebert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:27 pm 

Considering this is the first steam locomotive I ever rode or even saw under steam it would really be nice to see it under steam once more! This steam locomotive is 116 years old and does need some TLC. Last I heard it has a cracked piston witch is not easy to fix. I believe they know how to fix it but every time they do it just keeps cracking. You also have to remember $$$!! Steam Locomotives are very expensive to run and are not easy to maintain. I know from experience as I help out with a steam locomotive and know many other steam locomotive groups. I say if you could get to know some of the GVRR people that would be a great start and talk to a few of them to see what needs to be done! Another thing is steam locomotives have to be rebuilt every 15 years or at least re certified by the FRA or Federal Railroad Administration. If you could get enough support you could maybe raise enough money to help the GVRR into restoring her to operation again! I have been behind the locomotive 5 times and it is a great little steamer. Just keep your head up and see what you can do.

Brandon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:12 pm 

Piston or cylinder? And, leave witches out of it if you know what's good for you......

dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:09 pm 

Without going into a great deal of detail, search GVRR 2248 and you will discover the issues with the locomotive, along with a few other things. SP 771 could never run at Grapevine due to the extremely sharp curve going into the Stockyards, however there is a wye nearby which could be used to turn her.

If you have any questions, send me a message.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:06 am 

Chaz,

May I suggest that you check out the web site of the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad, one of the most wildly successful volunteer support groups in the nation, for an organizational template and ideas on how to set up and operate a volunteer support group (they have 5 to 7 week-long work sessions each summer, with as many as 75 people attending each one!).

http://www.cumbrestoltec.org/index.php

Don't spend five or ten minutes looking at the Web site; plan on spending an evening doing it.

Please note that the Friends are involved in almost every aspect of the restoration process--except the locomotives and regular operating cars. Operations are the responsibility of the operating company and the two-state commission which holds the railroad in trust for the citizens of the states of Colorado and New Mexico. Locomotives are left to the professional shop crew because Federal regulations regarding tourist railroads--steam locomotives in particular--are now so complex and unforgiving that steam train restoration projects are, again, best left to the professionals.

But there are usually a huge number of non-regulated activities which your proposed support group could undertake in support of the railroad. Show your mettle by restoring a non-operational freight or passenger car. Take over landscaping at stations. Build handicap access ramps. Volunteer as docents on the train. I'm sure your group could find enough things that need to be done to last you a lifetime. Oh, and you can also help raise funds necessary to restore your favorite steam locomotive(s).

One last bit of advice: don't go barging in there like you own the place. Before you lift a finger to do something, make time to sit down with the railroad's management, seek out the history of the current state of the railroad and its operations, and then ask how you can help. Don't go in there expecting to tell them what you are going to do for them; I guarantee the reception will be hostile if you do that.

Good luck!

Mike

A couple of Friends restoration projects:

RPO car, previously re-sided, receives new interior (and roof, siding, and windows). Seven (count them" box cars being primed and painted, all in one week!

Attachments:
Friends8.JPG
Friends8.JPG [ 110.48 KiB | Viewed 6798 times ]
friends6.JPG
friends6.JPG [ 124.63 KiB | Viewed 6798 times ]
Friends12.JPG
Friends12.JPG [ 118.89 KiB | Viewed 6798 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 pm 

A few more Friends pictures. In order: "Donor garden" created and constructed by the Friends; "frameless" tank car receiving historically-correct trucks acquired in a friendly labor-for-parts deal; boxcar being re-sided and painted.

Attachments:
Friends10.JPG
Friends10.JPG [ 177.25 KiB | Viewed 6505 times ]
Friends13.JPG
Friends13.JPG [ 153.09 KiB | Viewed 6505 times ]
friends4.JPG
friends4.JPG [ 141.21 KiB | Viewed 6505 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:14 pm 

Chaz, I suggest you call the Fort Worth and Western Railroad office; they USED to be the operators of the engine until the passenger service was turned over to Grapevine. Ask for Bob Snapp, a friend of mine, who is what we used to call Road Foreman of Engines (like the UP where I worked with him, they use a newer title than that), he should be able to put you in direct contact with the proper person on the Grapevine end of things. (and tell him to call Terry, sometime PLEASE!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 am 

Thanks so much for all the input folks, I think I have a good idea now of what steps to take. I'll be posting updates as the process gets moving along the way, and hopefully rally some volunteer effort in the future for those of you in the DFW area.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions Brian and Brandon. Dave, your joke took me a second, that's a good one! Terry, thanks for the contact, I've sent an email and I'll give him a call in the next few days as well, and I mentioned that he should give you a call. Mike thanks for the suggestions, structuring based on a successful organization is definitely a good plan. Txhighballer, thanks for your words of wisdom, maybe we can get the ball rolling. I'm not trying to brown nose too much, I'm just glad there were so many responses.

Hopefully more to follow soon!

- Chaz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:41 am 

Chaz,

I don't post to this board usually but am a frequent lurker reading different topics but saw this thread and thought I might try to add a few things as advice. I don't work for GVRR but I am very close with most of the people at the railroad and spend quite a bit of time there. Being that I am not an employee of GVRR there's not much I'm entitled to say but I can say just be patient and something will happen with 2248, there's been some obstacles in the past year but I do believe they're getting past them now. If you would like to learn more about the 2248 from the people at the railroad then I very highly suggest just get to know everyone there and make friends with them they're a really interesting (Extremely funny too) group of people to be around you just have to watch how you come off to them whether it be cool or as a railfan. Don't bring up 2248 for awhile because it's not the greatest subject to talk about when trying to get to know everyone there but eventually you'll learn how things are there and you'll end up learning things about the 2248 that will satisfy probably quite a few of the things you've been wondering. You mentioned forming a historical society, you would definately have to talk with the people working in the office in the new building with the tower on Main St. and probably with people from the City of Grapevine too being that the equipment is owned by the city now. There was a group formed that was working on the UP hack sitting by the GVRR shop for awhile which has kind of dropped off but it may be possible to follow the steps they took in forming a group that could work on a piece of equipment owned by the city such as 2248 if I were to guess. Best of luck at GVRR if you go to talk to them about things that could be done and send me a PM if you need help with some things such as who to talk to and what not.

Chase

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:32 pm 

Strictly out of curiosity, and slightly OT, is Iona Robbins still running the show when it comes to train attendants out there?