It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Southern Railway Ms 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:22 pm 

Does anyone know what the serial numbers were on the Southern Railway Ms 4's builders plates (CNO&TP #6320-6337), built in 1926 by the ALCO Richmond Locomotive works? Secondly, does anyone know where I can find the builders blueprints for this particular series of locomotives? I have checked with ALCO historical society and the SRHA (which I am a member of). Unfortunately I sent a message to the SRHA 4 months ago and still have yet to get a response (by the way what is the address of the SRHA? I got my address from a 1998 Ties issue). Also which Super Heater Company had their plate on the smoke box? If possible could I also get the dimensions of the super heater plate? If anyone has any sources of information, photographs, and videos of ANY of the Ms 4's that would be greatly appreciated. All of this will be added to two whole years spent researching the class for the sake of building an accurate 3/4'' Live Steam locomotive. If anyone is curious I plan to build a model of the 6326.
- Thanks for any help and information anyone can give me,
Stuart T. Harrod

Attachments:
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG [ 236.52 KiB | Viewed 3234 times ]

Post subject: Re: Southern Railway Ms 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:13 pm 

SRHA can be contacted several ways. We have a Facebook site. Our web page is http://www.srha.net. You can email the archive representative at, archives@srha.net. More information can be found in your current issues of Ties.

The archives are located at the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History, and our next session is November 9 & 10. These are open to the public.

Jason Greene
SRHA Calendar Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:10 am 

HI Stuart

As for the Southern Ms-4's their starting serial numbers , starting with engine , # 6320 were 66834 through 66851 ending with engine # 6337 . If you can find the book , Southern Railway System Steam Locomotives and Boats by R.E. Prince , their is a lot of information , including blueprints . I hope this is of help to you Pat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:30 am 

Jason,
What good is the SRHA contact info if the SRHA is not responding to peoples questions?
I can understand Stuart's frustrations!!!!!!!! I have had the same problem with SRHA........NO RESPONSE OF ANY KIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been waiting since the the 90s for a one response to a letter!

I finally let my membership go. Decided I could not support a organization that does not support its membership in kind.

Last year I decided to rejoin sent in my check and my letter. I received a few issues of Ties filled with reprints from previous years......but no response to my letter again! Of course though I got asked to sign up for another year promptly!!!!

I know Historical Societies are volunteer organizations.........but no responses in 20 plus years reflects on you.
And I bet y'all are trying to figure out how to increase your membership.

I finally got the help I needed from a nice gentleman at TVRM and I am not even a member there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:07 am 

Look out for this guy, he is dangerous.

I have to keep the printer ink under lock and key now.

Attachments:
stuart summer 2002.JPG
stuart summer 2002.JPG [ 59.26 KiB | Viewed 2892 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:15 am 

Here's a more recent picture.

No, the girl on the left is not single. No emails please.

Attachments:
P7160470 small.JPG
P7160470 small.JPG [ 81.71 KiB | Viewed 2884 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:46 pm 

Hey Scott K,
I just tried goggling them and got a new address. You could try and resend the letter to them. So far since I found that their response has been extremely fast!

Veterantoget.dk