It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:32 am 

These images are from Baldwin Magazine Second Quarter 1945.

Due to the binding, I could not scan these pages without blurring at the center. Thus these are all camera photos.

This article confirms that Whitcombs were the first Allied locomotives to enter liberated Rome, Paris, first supply and hospital trains into Belgium, first train into Germany, besides powering the first military train during WW II (North Africa).

Steve

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:08 am 

Just found this in a photo album here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11554447 ... 2809097713

Back of the photo states somewhere in France 1945.

Appears to be a pair of Whitcomb 65-ton diesel locomotives damaged by what I would guess was a collision. Photo taken from what appears to be a third Whitcomb.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:44 am 

Whitcomb 65-ton locomotives of the 732nd Railway Operating Battalion (ROB) crossing replacement bridge, Trier Germany, March 1945. Wreckage of original bridge seen to right in photo. The extent of the destruction in Europe was beyond what anyone could imagine.

The same train pulled by Whitcombs at Trier, Germany, March 1945 over replacement bridge by the 732nd Railway Operating Battalion. Wreckage of original bridge seen on right in photo.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 pm 

New member checking in; serious interest in Whitcomb, particularly the later years. Was intrigued by the movement of people from Baldwin to Whitcomb in the '30s; does anyone here know if there was a similar movement in 1951-52 in the other direction when Rochelle stopped building locomotives? Baldwin papers at the CSRM state that a Mr. Kommerall ran BLH's "Small Locomotive Division" in Eddystone, which was the section building the Whitcomb line and other industrial-sized units (roughly less than 100T). I had to wonder if he came out of Rochelle.

Rick Morgan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 pm 

For the group- a Whitcomb 65 tonner on display in Wenatchee WA; ASTX 11, the former USAX 8450 (60456, 5/44).

Rick

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1187882

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:19 am 

Rick Morgan wrote:
New member checking in; serious interest in Whitcomb, particularly the later years. Was intrigued by the movement of people from Baldwin to Whitcomb in the '30s; does anyone here know if there was a similar movement in 1951-52 in the other direction when Rochelle stopped building locomotives? Baldwin papers at the CSRM state that a Mr. Kommerall ran BLH's "Small Locomotive Division" in Eddystone, which was the section building the Whitcomb line and other industrial-sized units (roughly less than 100T). I had to wonder if he came out of Rochelle.

Rick Morgan
I have no refernce to a Mr. Kommerall in Rochelle. H. V. Huleguard was the general manager and I haven't seen any change of leadership at Whitcomb (Rochelle) in Baldwin magazine which appears to have ended publication in 1949.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:34 pm 

Thanks, Steve. If and when I return to Sacramento and the CSRM I intend to go through 'the last days of Whitcomb' files they might have and see how they carried out the transfer back east.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 am 

Rick Morgan wrote:
For the group- a Whitcomb 65 tonner on display in Wenatchee, WA; ASTX 11, the former USAX 8450 (60456, 5/44).

Ran across another photo of this same loco on Flickr. (Image has "sharing" enabled so linking to it below).

Interesting lettering on the locomotive:

" US Army WWII
N Africa, France
"

Apparently this loco is an actual overseas war veteran that made it back to the US. How unusual is that?
I don't know anything about these Army Transportation Corps engines, so I'm intrigued!

US Army Centercab 11 by Slider Jake, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 pm 

Rick Morgan wrote:
Thanks, Steve. If and when I return to Sacramento and the CSRM I intend to go through 'the last days of Whitcomb' files they might have and see how they carried out the transfer back east.

Rick
You are welcome.

I hope to go there next summer on a vacation. Did you see how much Whitcomb material they have?

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:08 pm 

FLO wrote:
Rick Morgan wrote:
For the group- a Whitcomb 65 tonner on display in Wenatchee, WA; ASTX 11, the former USAX 8450 (60456, 5/44).

Ran across another photo of this same loco on Flickr. (Image has "sharing" enabled so linking to it below).

Interesting lettering on the locomotive:

" US Army WWII
N Africa, France
"

Apparently this loco is an actual overseas war veteran that made it back to the US. How unusual is that?
I don't know anything about these Army Transportation Corps engines, so I'm intrigued!

US Army Centercab 11 by Slider Jake, on Flickr

Everything that I know about them is in this thread.

I am curious as to the war history of this particular engine. Does anyone know more about it and how it came back to the states ? Does anyone know what production number is on the builders' plate ?

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 pm 

Downtown DeKalb 1940 Whitcomb switcher.

From the Waite Embree collection NIU Regional History Collection. http://archon.lib.niu.edu/index.php?p=c ... =2&q=tobin

Waite Wagner Embree, the eldest of three children born to Elmer and Eva, was born November 27, 1905. After graduating from the University of Illinois, he joined his father and brother, Henry, as a partner in the E.E. Embree and Sons Lumber Yard.

In the bottom photo you can see the "Embree's" name on the building which locates these photos as downtown DeKalb, Illinois.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:35 pm 

Steve -

Sure would be nice to know the color scheme of this 44-tonner.

I did a bit of checking on the internet and if the units road number (60034) was the builders number, then this unit supposedly had an interesting history. Here is what I found:

Serial number 60034 (built 1940 or 1941). C&NW demonstrator (the photo taken in DeKalb, Illinois "fits"). USA # 7224. Marquette Cement number unknown or unspecified. Finally, Massachusetts Central #401.

I don't guarantee that this information is correct. Nor do I know if the locomotive still exists today. But I thought it was interesting. Maybe someone can confirm or comment.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:33 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Steve -

Sure would be nice to know the color scheme of this 44-tonner.

I did a bit of checking on the internet and if the units road number (60034) was the builders number, then this unit supposedly had an interesting history. Here is what I found:

Serial number 60034 (built 1940 or 1941). C&NW demonstrator (the photo taken in DeKalb, Illinois "fits"). USA # 7224. Marquette Cement number unknown or unspecified. Finally, Massachusetts Central #401.

I don't guarantee that this information is correct. Nor do I know if the locomotive still exists today. But I thought it was interesting. Maybe someone can confirm or comment.

Les
Where did you get this information Les?

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:40 pm 

Steve -

Something called North East Rails. Don't know what, or who, they are, but they have a number of photos of Whitcomb's on their site. And guess what? I left off one of the supposed owners of s/n 60034. It was reported as being owned by the Pittsburgh, Allegheny & McKees Rocks Railroad as their number 8. How I left that off, I don't know. Another senior moment I guess. As I stated earlier, I have no idea if this information is accurate or not. Someone out there might know though.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Steve -

Something called North East Rails. Don't know what, or who, they are, but they have a number of photos of Whitcomb's on their site. And guess what? I left off one of the supposed owners of s/n 60034. It was reported as being owned by the Pittsburgh, Allegheny & McKees Rocks Railroad as their number 8. How I left that off, I don't know. Another senior moment I guess. As I stated earlier, I have no idea if this information is accurate or not. Someone out there might know though.

Les

Very good Les, will check it out.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next