It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L&N 1616: Pros & Cons
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 1998 1:13 pm 

First, let's quote from Sept 1999 Trains, "What's Left of the U-Boats?" by Steve Gerbracht, p. 81: "The seven U25B's preserved include two [NYC] units (at North East, Pa. and Albany, N.Y.), Two Milwaukee Road (Union, Ill. and Portola, Calif.) and one each [L&N](Chattanooga, Tenn.), [NH] (Danbury, Conn.)and [SP] (Perris, Calif.)." Total U25B production, according to Second Diesel Spotter's Guide: 478. <br>Even disregarding the scrapped one, that's a pretty fair preservation ratio.<p>So initially I wasn't crying tears about the loss of this loco; it's a L&N loss, true, but if a home or funds couldn't be found for it in home turf, that's life and railroad preservation for you.<br>Now, if it is indeed a case that the unit headed for the scrapper without fair/serious/loud offer being made to TVRM, the L&N Historical Society, or even private preservationists, then whoever controlled the loco's destiny has some very serious answering to do.<p> I spend most of my preservation efforts and time looking for things for groups and/or finding worthwhile homes for rolling stock that can or should be saved, or needs a new home (want some PRR MP54's?). I normally deal with passenger cars and parts, and small locos; there is no way a L&N U25B could have flown under my radar had it been really advertised as available. I dare to say I would have had a ready customer for that loco, even in derelict condition (now, whether my buyer had the money for transport is another issue).<p>If it turns out the B&O Museum had custody/control of the 1616 to the end, it simply reiterates what I said about the B&O Museum in earlier posts below: If it ain't B&O, they don't care; if it is, they'll find room they don't have to "save" it. Go ahead, folks, start the flame war all over again, I'm ready!<br>

LNER4472@gateway.net