It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 am 

I got the booklet on reconstruction of the French railways (SNCF), thanks. Very interesting thread on the Whitcomb operation. I used to live not far from Rochelle, and was at the Railroad Park in May. Thanks for the RR Fair 1948 program book postings - keep them coming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:02 am 

rlsteam wrote:
I got the booklet on reconstruction of the French railways (SNCF), thanks. Very interesting thread on the Whitcomb operation. I used to live not far from Rochelle, and was at the Railroad Park in May. Thanks for the RR Fair 1948 program book postings - keep them coming!

Really? You personally have a copy or you copied what I posted in the Whitcomb thread?

What I posted in the Whitcomb thread is only a part of the book.

You are very welcome and yes I'll keep them coming!

Where did you live?

I live about a block south of the Rochelle Train Park.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 pm 

No, I copied your booklet from your Whitcomb thread. I lived in Kirkland from 2004-2009, live in Hamilton now, across Mississippi from Keokuk, IA. See my RyPN thread on "Keokuk Union Depot."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 pm 

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 pm 

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:41 pm 

rlsteam wrote:
No, I copied your booklet from your Whitcomb thread. I lived in Kirkland from 2004-2009, live in Hamilton now, across Mississippi from Keokuk, IA. See my RyPN thread on "Keokuk Union Depot."
I can scan the rest of that booklet if you want. There's a lot of information in it.

I found that the captured German locomotive is mentioned in this 1948 program guide on the last page. It was part of a U.S. Army Transportation Corps Exhibit - which printed a booklet for the fair that year - and my Dad happened to get and kept a booklet from - which also I found. That booklet has 3 pages of detailed information on that German locomotive. I can scan that next if you'd like.

Kirkland was where you lived - home of the "world famous" Kirkland sawmill.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:11 pm 

Yes. Required RyPN content: Kirkland was also where the Milwaukee's line through DeKalb and Aurora to connect with its southern Indiana coal line branched off from the main line. It was the former Chicago, Milwaukee & Gary (which never got close to any of those places) bought by CM&StP in 1922 I believe, to secure easier access from the coal fields to its western lines. The "Gary" was abandoned in segments long ago and few remnants of it can be identified today, but a brick home on the west end of the village (near the sawmill) was the depot for the "Gary's" spur into Kirkland -- it overpassed the Milwaukee a few miles west of town and then had a spur into Kirkland from "Kirkland Junction." The Milwaukee also had large sheep feeding pens in Kirkland where livestock had to be serviced before getting into the Chicago stockyards (nothing remains today). I have an image of the "Hiawatha" coming through Kirkland here: http://www.railarchive.net/randomsteam/milw4.htm. The depot is long gone and at almost the same location is a maintenance building (was SOO, then IMRL, then IC&E, now CP).

I picked up your last two pages of the 1948 Fair guide. Message me offline about other items if you like, so we don't have to carry on a private conversation here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:33 pm 

rlsteam wrote:
Yes. Required RyPN content: Kirkland was also where the Milwaukee's line through DeKalb and Aurora to connect with its southern Indiana coal line branched off from the main line. It was the former Chicago, Milwaukee & Gary (which never got close to any of those places) bought by CM&StP in 1922 I believe, to secure easier access from the coal fields to its western lines. The "Gary" was abandoned in segments long ago and few remnants of it can be identified today, but a brick home on the west end of the village (near the sawmill) was the depot for the "Gary's" spur into Kirkland -- it overpassed the Milwaukee a few miles west of town and then had a spur into Kirkland from "Kirkland Junction." The Milwaukee also had large sheep feeding pens in Kirkland where livestock had to be serviced before getting into the Chicago stockyards (nothing remains today). I have an image of the "Hiawatha" coming through Kirkland here: http://www.railarchive.net/randomsteam/milw4.htm. The depot is long gone and at almost the same location is a maintenance building (was SOO, then IMRL, then IC&E, now CP).

Plenty of info I never knew. It seems sheep used to be a lot more important back then. La Fox IL. also had a loading facility for sheep along their rail line. Sheep made Rochelle attractive to yarn spinning and Caron Yarn. Eventually led to Whitcomb moving to Rochelle to move closer to a knitting factory in Rochelle - back when Whitcomb was building knitting machinery.

rlsteam wrote:
I picked up your last two pages of the 1948 Fair guide. Message me offline about other items if you like, so we don't have to carry on a private conversation here.

The conversation in public doesn't phase me. In fact it might invite other people with knowledge to join in and share.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 pm 

Notice the top right of this page has the reference to the Army Transportation Corps exhibit and the captured German locomotive.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:51 pm 

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:53 pm 

This is the back cover thus ending the guide book.

Next I shall scan the Army Transportation Corps booklet.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:53 am 

Thanks, I will now be able to add the 1948 Program Book to my RR Fair site!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:03 pm 

The 1948 program guide book has been added to my Railroad Fair web site http://www.railarchive.net/rrfair, thanks to Steve O'Connor's scanning the book his father Roderick saved.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:31 am 

rlsteam wrote:
The 1948 program guide book has been added to my Railroad Fair web site http://www.railarchive.net/rrfair, thanks to Steve O'Connor's scanning the book his father Roderick saved.

You have done a beautiful job of presenting both guide books. Very impressive. I'm also very thrilled to see you honor my father.

THANK YOU.

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:06 am 

Steve

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next