It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:27 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:29 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:10 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:11 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:38 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Not done with the guide and jumping ahead to this Burlington Northern brochure for my brother-in-law. His family is from Aurora and worked for the BN.

Image

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:41 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:44 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:48 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

That's it, all 6 pages of this fold out brochure.

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Last edited by machinehead61 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:48 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5081
machinehead61 wrote:
Image

That's it, all 6 pages of this fold out brochure.

Steve


Steve -

This last page if particularly interesting. In the recent thread "Best steam locomotive performance.....", I mentioned a run with CB&Q 4-8-4 #5632 running full out from Galesburg to Chicago. Well, here on Page 6 are sisters of both locomotives mentioned in that comment. The "Q's" Colorado type #6312 is a sister to the 6315 that broke down about half way from Chicago to Galesburg. And the 4-8-4 pictured is a sister to the 5632, although the `32 burned oil instead of coal as in the tender of the 5634. The other part of that "gutsy" performance by the 5632 that day, is that she pulled all of the coaches mentioned PLUS pushing the inoperable 6315 to Galesburg after the 2-10-4 broke one, then the other, eccentric rod. I realized that a few of the readers of RyPN may not have been familiar with the two engines, and here was a chance to show what both looked like. So your report on the Chicago Railroad Fair also had a connection to that best steam performances thread.

Appreciate your posting all of these things for the Fair. This latest one also gives me a chance to wish all of the readers of RyPN a most Happy Holiday Season! May Santa put what you desire in your stocking. And to those who are running coal fired steam in museum or tourist service, may your stocking be filled with good quality coal!

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:11 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 150
My story on RailroadGloryDays.com describes that trip. See My First Fan-trip

_________________
Glen Brewer
Railroad Glory Days
Railroad Glory Days on Facebook


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:26 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:40 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Hamilton, Illinois
Quote:
These scans are from my copy that belonged to my father, Roderick Arthur O'Connor who lived in Chicago and who visited the fair.

If you wish to give credit to my Dad, I'd be honored that you would give him the credit for having the wisdom to preserve this history.


Steve, thanks, I am copying everything you have posted here to add to my RR Fair web site. I will credit both you and your father (I presume the same last name?). Looking forward to seeing the rest of the 1948 program book.

Richard

_________________
Richard Leonard's Rail Archive
www.railarchive.net


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Les Beckman wrote:
machinehead61 wrote:
Image

That's it, all 6 pages of this fold out brochure.

Steve


Steve -

This last page if particularly interesting. In the recent thread "Best steam locomotive performance.....", I mentioned a run with CB&Q 4-8-4 #5632 running full out from Galesburg to Chicago. Well, here on Page 6 are sisters of both locomotives mentioned in that comment. The "Q's" Colorado type #6312 is a sister to the 6315 that broke down about half way from Chicago to Galesburg. And the 4-8-4 pictured is a sister to the 5632, although the `32 burned oil instead of coal as in the tender of the 5634. The other part of that "gutsy" performance by the 5632 that day, is that she pulled all of the coaches mentioned PLUS pushing the inoperable 6315 to Galesburg after the 2-10-4 broke one, then the other, eccentric rod. I realized that a few of the readers of RyPN may not have been familiar with the two engines, and here was a chance to show what both looked like. So your report on the Chicago Railroad Fair also had a connection to that best steam performances thread.

Appreciate your posting all of these things for the Fair. This latest one also gives me a chance to wish all of the readers of RyPN a most Happy Holiday Season! May Santa put what you desire in your stocking. And to those who are running coal fired steam in museum or tourist service, may your stocking be filled with good quality coal!

Les

Thanks for the info - never would have known that.

And a Merry Christmas to you also.

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1948 Chicago Railroad Fair
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
rlsteam wrote:
Steve, thanks, I am copying everything you have posted here to add to my RR Fair web site. I will credit both you and your father (I presume the same last name?). Looking forward to seeing the rest of the 1948 program book.

Richard

I keep having problems accessing your website, it shows error and I can't get into the Rail fair section.

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 70000, Bing [Bot] and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: