It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preservation and the Lackawanna Cut-off
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:56 am 

Have any statements been made by NJT as to their commitment to preservation during the reconstruction of this historic route? There have to be at least a few towers and stations still remaining along the ROW, do we know if they will be stabilized or even put back into service? NJT has created a replica bridge over Rt 521 in Blairstown, so it does seem as though they are sympathetic to maintaining an aesthetic continuity, but to what extent I would like to know. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Preservation and the Lackawanna Cut-off
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:42 pm 

There are only two stations left on the Cut-Off. The one is in Greendel and the other is in Blairstown. The Greendel station was re-roofed by Turco (sp) and the Blairstown station and Freight Station are currently being used by a refuse firm as their office and repair shop. The Johnsonburg station was torn down by mistake by a NJ DEP contractor several years ago when the old Sealtest dairy across the tracks from it was removed. There is still the interlocking tower at Slateford Jct, Greendel, and I believe Port Morris Jct. The signal bridge at Greendel was in place when the road bridge by the station was removed for a grade crossing, but I don't know it the signal bridge was removed at that time. I will leave it to those who still live in the area to respond. My grandfather was the section foreman on the Cut-Off from Blairstown to Johnsonbutg from 1914 to 1938.

Fred Heilich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 pm 

Some good reading here - see pg 62, and the bottom of 65 esp. I would quote it but I can't extract from the doc.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/Lackawanna ... t%20EA.pdf

Last edited by 6-18003 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:21 pm 

Quote:
The Johnsonburg station was torn down by mistake by a NJ DEP contractor several years ago when the old Sealtest dairy across the tracks from it was removed

What a shame. It seems as though the other two will be saved. I'd be thrilled if they kept or even added/replaced signal bridges. Overall I have to say I am very satisified with what is contained in the link above. I just hope their station designs are in keeping with the rest of the line, and that PA gets their ducks in a ROW, pun intended.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
Some good reading here - see pg 62, and the bottom of 65 esp. I would quote it but I can't extract from the doc.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/Lackawanna ... t%20EA.pdf

iPad ftw.

3.4.4 Effects Assessment
The proposed project would not adversely affect any historic resources in the APE for the project, as the resources do not meet the National Register Criteria for Adverse Effect. The proposed project would not cause the physical destruction of, or damage to, any historic resource nor would it require the removal of any historic resource from its historic location. Historic resources may be altered as a result of the proposed project, but these alterations would be consistent with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties (36 CFR part 68) and applicable guidelines. The proposed project would not change the character or original intended use of an historic resource and would not change physical features within the property's setting that contribute to its historic significance. No visual, atmospheric or audible elements that diminish the integrity of any historic resources and its significant historic features would be introduced as a result of the proposed project. Finally, the proposed project would not cause the neglect of a property, which would cause its deterioration. In addition, the proposed project would not transfer, lease, or sell an historic property out of Federal or state ownership or control without adequate and legally enforceable restrictions or conditions to ensure the long-term preservation of the property's historic significance.
Direct effects would include actual physical alterations to a historic resource, such as removal, repair, or replacement of historic fabric; alterations; and new construction. Direct effects also include the transfer of ownership of a resource. Other historic resources in the APE for the project may be affected by the proposed project but those effects would be indirect. Indirect effects would include the change in the setting or context of a resource by the construction of new elements near the resource.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 pm 

Thank you for posting. There is also a chart of areas of known historic importance, including "possible" ice harvesting structures, and they specifically mention that SNHS will be uneffected. Seems like this is actually a professionally and thoughtfully planned project.