It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Milwaukee Road #265, Possible Restoration
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:49 pm 

This doesn't look credible:

For disclosure, I know a little of the background here, including one of the principals in the "group" and can say that such efforts should not be taken seriously. Though, that, and what is said below is my own personal opinion.

The website is nothing more than a bunch of business related buzzwords. I wonder if they used the "buzzword generator" from the old Dilbert website.

An article was posted on Flimsies earlier regarding this as well, but neither the article or the website seem to be from a credible organization, that has actually formed a 501(c)(3), shown they can raise money.

More importantly, MILW 265 is in good hands at IRM, under cover, and away from the elements. This would be akin to me forming a group to retore the C&O 2-6-6-6 at the B&O museum, without the cooperation or even knowledge of the B&O Museum.

Well-managed museums do not typically hand out items from their permanant collection like candy to just any "group" that approaches them with a "plan" and a buzzword-laden website. IRM should not be an exception to that.

It's not politics that is keeping this from happening, but cold hard reality.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

Last edited by wilkinsd on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:53 pm 

Before ANYONE gets their hopes up, the person instigating this proposed blasphemy is regarded by many at IRM (sigh, yes, she is a member,and volunteer) about as fondly as a certain Mr Riffin is regarded out east...

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:07 pm 

We had a visitor from this organization at our open house last fall. They chastised us for not "operating excursions" out of our shop facility, which we had apparently advertised, with the 765.

"We drove 6 hours for this," was the complaint.

Apparently they didn't take five minutes to read a webpage.

And speaking of webpages, I am frustrated by how much talking and how little showing their website does.

ALSO, a "marketing group" using a term like OLD SMOKY? Thomas has something to say about that...

KL

Attachments:
File comment: Wryyyyy.
Funny-face-thomas-the-tank-engine-15992524-1333-965.jpg
Funny-face-thomas-the-tank-engine-15992524-1333-965.jpg [ 52.15 KiB | Viewed 12707 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 pm 

Let's just sit back and see what happens? However, my first take is "what a waste of space and time!"

You would think that a legitimate effort like this would include an official statement or type of endorsement from the owner of said locomotive.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 pm 

Old Smokey was the nickname given to 265 when on display on Milwaukee’s south side (Bay View) in the 50s and 60s.
This subject has surfaced publicly a couple times via a Milwaukee blogger. Here’s a post from last November.

http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/bo ... yhome.html

Without saying much more I’ll give this a ... Highly Unlikely.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:54 am 

wilkinsd wrote:
The website is nothing more than a bunch of business related buzzwords. I wonder if they used the "buzzword generator" from the old Dilbert website.

Good Lord, I've never seen so much ridiculous "corporate speak" crammed into that small of a space in my life. Sounds like it came from the bullshit generator.

http://dack.com/web/bullshit.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I finally had the time/chance to go look at said website myself.

(O.o)

I honestly thought Brothers Wilkins and WP Mike had to be exaggerating. Instead, I found myself replicating Thomas's expression precisely and muttering "Jings, crivvens, help ma' boab...."

I am now thoroughly convinced that 1) somebody constructed an outright satire of a piece of utter folly designed to look like some serious project (seriously, if you're gonna go that far, offer us all a reversal of global warming, and throw in a cure for AIDS, world peace, and non-fattening beer and ice cream that taste good); and 2) someone in Waukesha (or with the appropriate editing passwords) actually FELL for this level of codswallop.

Maybe I'm more immune to this stuff because I've spent twenty years too close to a "company town" where this rubbish is the main product and stock in trade....... but still.....

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 am 

Dilbert should be proud - excellent use of a buzzword generator.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:36 am 

I believe the engine was moved to IRM because of lack of support for the engine, its safer now where is. Fine if someone can rally up a museum and find support people and otherwise, but its a reach.

An 0-6-0 in Evansville or a 4-6-0 in Austin MN, both Miilw engines would suit their purpose fine.

But I remember the Fort Wayne railfan club meeting 767 was going to get restored, and that was that....you start somewhere...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 am 

This would be a very good time for an IRM officer to release a statement on this matter. I would assume they own title to the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 am 

I agree the website seems to be a bunch of BS. The photos look like free stock photos and have nothing to do with anything. The website is owned by a Mr. Bill Moran of Wheaton, Il. He also owns trackstothefuture.com which redirects to the steammarketinggroup.com

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 pm 

265 needed to relocate for freeway construction. At the time Milwaukee did not have an alternate safe location for it. Probably just wanted to get rid of another un-funded eyesore. Here she is in 1974, after most of the brass was taken.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=72266

A short history from an almost real newspaper.
http://bayviewcompass.com/archives/2507

Being moved to the IRM via then CNW.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14488898@N02/4525152585/

Although 265 isn’t in the greatest condition today she’s inside away from the elements and vandals. She and I would prefer it that way.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3055576

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 pm 

dinwitty wrote:

An 0-6-0 in Evansville or a 4-6-0 in Austin MN, both Miilw engines would suit their purpose fine.

The Milwaukee Road 0-6-0 at the museum in Evansville, Indiana is well taken care of and is displayed with some other railroad equipment. Likewise, Ten-Wheeler #1004 in Austin, Minnesota (the last steamer to run in regular service on the CMStP&P) is well taken care of and is under shelter as I recall.

Now, there IS a rumor that a Milwaukee Road steam engine fell into the Wabash River in Terre Haute, Indiana and because it was the end of the steam era, the railroad declined to spend the money to recover what would have only ended up as scrap anyway. That might be the only chance I see, of this group ever getting a genuine Milwaukee steam locomotive. Certainly IRM is never going to give up number 265.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:32 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I honestly thought Brothers Wilkins and WP Mike had to be exaggerating. Instead, I found myself replicating Thomas's expression precisely and muttering "Jings, crivvens, help ma' boab...."

The reports of my exaggeration have been greatly exaggerated.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:24 pm 

I don't take this seriously, but can you imagine a double header with #261? Wow...

Quote:
Restoration of the big Northern is estimated to be at least $2 million with the cost of the roundhouse between "$13 million to $22 million."

Are they sure the numbers aren't reversed? At $22 mill, what are they building for a roundhouse, Age of Steam West?