It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mile signs on C&T trestles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm 

For maintenance and restoration purposes, I'm researching what mile signs were formerly placed on the Cumbres and Toltec's larger major trestles (Cascade, Lobato, Los Pinos, Chama River). Some 1978 film footage shows what may have been a mile marker -- a metal sign about the size of an automobile license plate -- on the west end of Cascade Trestle on a horizontal wooden piece below track level. A Lobato Trestle photo taken before the 2010 fire burned the top wood work shows an extremely faded mile sign on a horizontal wooden wing off the guard rail, at about waist high. A different Lobato (2008) photo shows a mile sign on a horizontal timber below track level. It would help to see any other images showing mile signs on the Cascade, Lobato, Los Pinos and Chama River trestles. Please either reply here or contact me by email at pauldavenport@cox.net.
Paul

Post subject: Re: Mile signs on C&T trestles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:27 pm 

Have you tried the Dorman collection? Richard Dorman did a lot of his indexing by location and they maintained it in the archiving. For the record three people made the initial investment to get the collection. If the proposed changes are allowed to happen in the Chama yard the Dorman Collection may be one of the few ways of people seeing the Chama yard at the end of the D&RGW.

Robby Peartree

http://www.cumbrestoltec.org/interests/ ... talog.html

Post subject: Re: Mile signs on C&T trestles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:14 pm 

Robby,
Thanks for the suggestion. I used the search function for Cascade and Lobato. I came up empty on Cascade shots showing possible mile signs on that trestle but I see a couple of possibilities for mile signs on Lobato on shots taken from a medium distance of trains crossing. We'll explore those further. Thanks again.
Paul