It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Railroad Sound Recordings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:16 pm 

I have an album called "Steam in Ontario" which was done in the early 1970s of CPR 1057 and 136 double heading on CP's Orangeville line up the Forks of the Credit. At the time my uncle Sherwood Hume was heavily involved with Ontario Rail and did the restoration of 136 in his own shop (he had a heavy haulage business and a large well equipped shop in Milton Ontario).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:44 pm 

Jeff Lisowski mentioned

Quote:
"Ballad of the 611" - RTM, The Dave Niblock Band, 45 RPM Single

Can also be heard over the closing credits here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ZdW_KTQe4
just after the evocative whistle at 3:09...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:20 pm 

Someone mentioned the Smithsonian.

http://www.folkways.si.edu/browse-colle ... mithsonian

Search for railroad or railroad sound.

I bought a number of their CDs a few years ago and thought the quality was very good.

My plan - dare I mention it? Loading a whistle into an HO locomotive sound decoder. I did load the steam turbine start up from the opening track of "Sundays Only" into one. Sounds great.

Further OT info. Bill Purdie asked me to take a whistle sequence he blew that someone recorded from a cassette tape an load it into one of his HO sound decoders several years ago. That did not work out too good. I use Audacity to edit, slice, and dice.

Dale Grice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:19 pm 

I've been curious if anyone has tried using a MIDI controller to run sampled sounds. Not one that you would find at a hobby shop, but something like a "Launchpad" or even a keyboard. If you had a technically savvy museum member, you could even sell custom sound packs of your own railroad!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:10 am 

Allright...hope you guys can help me with this recording. I know it came off an album, but maybe you guys can help me out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFe5tY ... 3&index=48

Thanks in advance!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:26 am 

Sounds really close to the opening of the ABBA track "Nina, Pretty Ballerina", but I was mistaken.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:20 pm 

As promised a year ago...

joe6167 wrote:
The other day I was looking through some 1960's issues of The Gramophone and as luck would have it, there was a full page ad for a record of English steam locomotives by the record label Argo. I'll post the ad eventually, once I make a scan of it.

Interesting that a record label like Argo would release such a record, and even more interesting that they would take out a full page ad in a magazine of music reviews.

The Gramophone:
-October 1968, Volume 46, No. 545, pg 564: Roger Wimbush’s review of Railway Recordings No. 4472: Trackside Sounds and Footplate Sounds With Alan Peglar
-August 1969, Volume 47, No. 555, pg. 300: Argo/Transacord ad for Trains Gone By
-August 1970, Volume 48, No. 567, pg. 319: Argo/Transacord ad for The World Of Steam

Exactly as described by ADM IV:

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Argo acted as a distribution channel for Peter Handford's Transacord series of rail records. Any and every Argo steam record came from Handford's production, as I understand it. In fact, most of the references to them I've seen are "Argo Transacord".

Attachments:
The Gramophone vol 46, no 545, October 1968, pg 564, review by Roger Wimbush.jpg
The Gramophone vol 46, no 545, October 1968, pg 564, review by Roger Wimbush.jpg [ 257.2 KiB | Viewed 9970 times ]
The Gramophone vol 47, no 555, August 1969, pg 300 Trains Gone By ad.jpg
The Gramophone vol 47, no 555, August 1969, pg 300 Trains Gone By ad.jpg [ 289.3 KiB | Viewed 9970 times ]
The Gramphone vol 48, no 567, August 1970, pg 319 World of Steam ad.jpg
The Gramphone vol 48, no 567, August 1970, pg 319 World of Steam ad.jpg [ 331.05 KiB | Viewed 9970 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:10 am 

I didn't see it mentioned earlier in this thread, but some Railroad Record Club recordings have been remastered and are being sold on CD.

http://thetrolleydodger.com/online-store/

Paul

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:56 pm 

Howdy Folks, This may be considered off topic, slightly, but is there a data base / cross reference / index of known recording of locomotive? Thanks - Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:34 pm 

"The Knotty

A musical documentary telling the story of the early days on the railways. With the cast of the Victoria Theater Production..."

Wondering just how hard it would be to get funding for such a play and/or recording these days. Talk about a niche market!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:25 pm 

This keeps popping up on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trains-Last-Train-to-Waterloo-Reader-Railroad-Mobile-Fidelity-Vinyl-Lp-N-Mint-/231265983748?hash=item35d886dd04

Attachment:
reader record.jpg
reader record.jpg [ 48.17 KiB | Viewed 9550 times ]

What is interesting is that it was recorded in 4 channel surround, over 45 years ago. Of course it is an obsolete format, but I don't think it would be hard to find the equipment to decode it back to surround. It also should play fine in any record player, just not surround.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:31 pm 

pwkrueger wrote:
I didn't see it mentioned earlier in this thread, but some Railroad Record Club recordings have been remastered and are being sold on CD.

Paul

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Went there, tried to order a disk. My Paypal wanted me to pay "later" and I couldn't close the deal on Paypal and tried twice via Visa. Got suspicious and left.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:25 am 

The Trolley Dodger is my blog and I am the one who has been systematically working to reissue all the Railroad Record Club LPs on compact discs.

I don't know what sort of problem one person had with my Online Store, but there is a shopping cart and you use it as you would many others like it on the Internet.

People can pay by either PayPal or a credit or debit card. A PayPal account is not required.

Credit card processing is done by PayPal and since they are a third party, it is a hands-off transaction as far as I am concerned. I have no access to anyone's confidential information.

Many, many people have purchased items from my Online Store without any problems, and, of course, purchasers' money is protected. In the event that I fail to get the goods to you, or if you are not satisfied, there are ways of getting your money back.

But so far, not one of my customers has asked for a refund, since I do my best to offer a high quality product.

I am still looking for the following RRC LPs:

3, 16, 19, 20-23, 28, 30-34

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:25 pm 

I don't think it was your blog. Paypal kept trying to sign me up for a credit card. I have a paypay account.
I just tried it again and it worked fine. Got my order through this time.
Thanks,
Don Wirth

dsadowski wrote:
The Trolley Dodger is my blog and I am the one who has been systematically working to reissue all the Railroad Record Club LPs on compact discs.

I don't know what sort of problem one person had with my Online Store, but there is a shopping cart and you use it as you would many others like it on the Internet.

People can pay by either PayPal or a credit or debit card. A PayPal account is not required.

Credit card processing is done by PayPal and since they are a third party, it is a hands-off transaction as far as I am concerned. I have no access to anyone's confidential information.

Many, many people have purchased items from my Online Store without any problems, and, of course, purchasers' money is protected. In the event that I fail to get the goods to you, or if you are not satisfied, there are ways of getting your money back.

But so far, not one of my customers has asked for a refund, since I do my best to offer a high quality product.

I am still looking for the following RRC LPs:

3, 16, 19, 20-23, 28, 30-34

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:02 pm 

Great, thanks.

My goal is to eventually have all the Railroad Record Club LPs available once again on CDs. I have more than half done already, and doing the rest is just a matter of tracking these things down.

Some people have loaned me their copies and I have returned them in good shape along with a CD of the result.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next