It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How many steam loco's are in operation in the US?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 pm 

Of the steamers at Disneyland (Anaheim Magic Kingdom), as I recall the first two were "scratch built" in Southern California and the next two were refurbished Baldwin products. The only "amusement" locomotives I would definitely rule out are the "steam outline" units that are actually powered by internal-combustion engines. They go into the same "object of scorn" category as those buses with fake old-time streetcar bodies that are erroneously dubbed "trolleys".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:58 pm 

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
Bobharbison wrote:
I started here:

So, let's subtract another 50 to account for some of the 2' and 3' stuff being park trains and the like. You still get about 250 active locomotives.

Right. "Park trains" like D&RG and RGS C-19s and rebuilt Baldwins from 1894 or 1902 aren't "steam locomotives."

Please.

Steve, read my comments closely, I did NOT eliminate all 3 foot and 2 foot gauge locos. I reduced the count by 50 to allow for the park trains that I know were included in that count, such as the 2 24" Crowns I occasionally run at Remlinger Farms.

A quick check searching on Crown finds over 30 entries. I'm sure there are other park train locos in the list as well, such as the R&GN equipment, the "Shay" made from a steam tractor and a marine engine, the fabricated Disney locos, the bastardized locos at Six Flags, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:17 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I know of a few "private" locos 2-foot-gauge or so built for revenue (as opposed to "plaything") use that run but aren't listed.?

Private 2 foot gauge built for revenue? Are you talking amusement park service, or is there another Edaville someplace quietly hauling berries with 2 foot gauge steam that nobody has noticed and posted to YouTube yet?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:16 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Bobharbison wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I know of a few "private" locos 2-foot-gauge or so built for revenue (as opposed to "plaything") use that run but aren't listed.?

Private 2 foot gauge built for revenue? Are you talking amusement park service, or is there another Edaville someplace quietly hauling berries with 2 foot gauge steam that nobody has noticed and posted to YouTube yet?

A couple 600mm gauge imports. The former Darjeeling-Himalayan loco. Oh, and at least two on a "private" club railroad not on the list. Enough said?